Most Overrated Players in your lifetime

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think there's a topic for this, so thought I'd create it.

Who are people's picks on here for the most overrated player in their personal lifetime?

For me a vote has to go to a pretty obvious one, that being David Beckham.

People always point out that "oh he was in one of the best club sides in recent history", that being the 1999 Man Utd treble winning squad, but let's look at who else was in that midfield, much less the squad.

Main Midfielders:

Roy Keane
Paul Scholes
Ryan Giggs

Aside from set pieces and crossing, please tell me what else Beckham brought to that group?

And let's not forget the other members of the squad to name a few:

Other squad members:
Peter Schmeichel (A Strong contender for best keeper since the days of Yashin, Banks, Jennings & Clemence.
Jaap Stam (One of the best central defenders of the Premier League era)
Andy Cole
Teddy Sheringham
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
Dwight Yorke

And obviously, the managerial talent of Alex Ferguson.

Look at what Beckham was like after his Man Utd days, he was pretty much a passenger at Real Madrid, outside of one good performance against Greece and the World Cup '98 before his stupidity against Argentina, he was mostly shite for the England team as well.

If I'm remembering wrong please let me know, but I can't think of any high profile players who contributed less to an overall team than Beckham did.

First thing I saw was Paul Scholes and was very worried, but I've read the OP and can see why some people think Beckham was slightly overrated, although he was a brilliant crosser of the ball.

I don't think there's a topic for this, so thought I'd create it.

Who are people's picks on here for the most overrated player in their personal lifetime?

For me a vote has to go to a pretty obvious one, that being David Beckham.

People always point out that "oh he was in one of the best club sides in recent history", that being the 1999 Man Utd treble winning squad, but let's look at who else was in that midfield, much less the squad.

Main Midfielders:

Roy Keane
Paul Scholes
Ryan Giggs

Aside from set pieces, please tell me what else Beckham brought to that group?

And let's not forget the other members of the squad to name a few:

Other squad members:
Peter Schmeichel (A Strong contender for best keeper since the days of Yashin, Banks, Jennings & Clemence.
Jaap Stam (One of the best central defenders of the Premier League era)
Andy Cole
Teddy Sheringham
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
Dwight Yorke

And obviously, the managerial talent of Alex Ferguson.

Look at what Beckham was like after his Man Utd days, he was pretty much a passenger at Real Madrid, outside of one good performance against Greece and the World Cup '98 before his stupidity against Argentina, he was mostly shite for the England team as well.

If I'm remembering wrong please let me know, but I can't think of any high profile players who contributed less to an overall team than Beckham did.
I kinda get what you are saying but the flaw in your argument is Alex Ferguson, he played him and consistently +40-50 games per season for almost a decade, that in it's self is all the testament you need of what the greatest manager thought of him.

My shout is Wilshire, I know I'm on safe ground here as he's literarily shit, offers nothing to whatever team he plays in (Woolwich, Bournemouth, England and now West Ham). Since his emergence at Woolwich it's also coincided with their regression. Couldn't brake into the Bournemouth side and is now getting subbed off for bottom of the table side West Ham. His entire career is based of just two good performances, once for the scum against Barca and once for England, I can't recall who it was against but he played deeper in the double pivot in a 4-2-3-1. He's utter pony.

For an AM there can be no worse he's scored 13 career goals and 23 assists across 13 years!!!! Utter garbage.

David fucking Platt. Not the cunt out of Corrie.
Couldn't pass, couldn't tackle, scored an odd goal and played 62 !!!!!! fucking times for England.

Pele, but maybe I'm a bit biased because I have a serious dislike for him
That might be a good shout. His entire career has been condensed into a handful of youtube clips but not many when you consider that number of games he played. Unfortunately I have no real memory of him playing so can't really judge. Many people of the era will always say that Garrincha was miles better and an absolute genius.

The Brazilian Ronaldo.
giphy.gif

That might be a good shout. His entire career has been condensed into a handful of youtube clips but not many when you consider that number of games he played. Unfortunately I have no real memory of him playing so can't really judge. Many people of the era will always say that Garrincha was miles better and an absolute genius.

Pele will eventually go down as one of those true life myths where eventually no one alive will have actually seen him play so the only thing to go off are stories which may or may not be true and grainy YouTube compilations of him against amateur players.

Saying that, I didn't have The Dane down as a 50+ year old.

Back
Top Bottom