New Book 81

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Guido 🇺🇦

"Legacy Fan"
483dc20de1147c4db6f717e512c4654f.gif

I watched this game at home on the TV with my family as an 11 year old kid. It is one of my great memories of watching Spurs and supporting the club. I have no wish to trash that but;

It was 41 years ago.

At that time, in 1981, I doubt any Spurs supporter would have entertained the idea of spending the equivalent of £40.00 in today's money on a book about a Spurs team from 1940.

It is precisely because the club have been starved of trophy winning teams, since the end of that particular era, that this book could generate interest in an aging fanbase who should have seen at least 15 trophy winning teams since that day rather than the 5 we have seen.

The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom.

We are literally dying of boredom and wishing for the past.

Nah as a 16 year old the 81 cup win was magical / 4 years after relegation it meant we really were back as a club. Smashing wolves at Highbury in the semi final - the disappointment of not getting a final ticket eased by waiting fir them to open the gates and getting in just in time to see our equaliser / the fun and excitement of queueing all night at white hart lane for a replay ticket when in truth I could have strolled up at 11 am and queued about 30 minutes !! Then the replay 2-1,down 3-2 up that’s the way we won the cup!!! Ricky’s special goal - seeing Steve lift the trophy /,going to the town hall for the victory parade - magical times for a 16 year old too young (not even born ) to remember the mystical all conquering double team of 61.

We could have done the quadruple 10 times in the 41 years since but for me 81 was and always will be very special and this is a book I will cherish

I watched this game at home on the TV with my family as an 11 year old kid. It is one of my great memories of watching Spurs and supporting the club. I have no wish to trash that but;

It was 41 years ago.

At that time, in 1981, I doubt any Spurs supporter would have entertained the idea of spending the equivalent of £40.00 in today's money on a book about a Spurs team from 1940.

It is precisely because the club have been starved of trophy winning teams, since the end of that particular era, that this book could generate interest in an aging fanbase who should have seen at least 15 trophy winning teams since that day rather than the 5 we have seen.

The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom.

We are literally dying of boredom and wishing for the past.
The 1981 cup success happened 3 months before I was even born and it remains the ideal for everything I want as a Tottenham fan. Both in the sense of what football used to be as for what could be achieved today.

I'm not sure everyone realises that Ricky Villa's winner would not have happened in today's game because there would have been no replay in the final. The match would have been decided with extra time and penalties after the initial 1-1 draw and football would have been the loser.

Got my signed collectors copy today as a present from my children - an amazing book wonderfully put together it beautifully charts the cup run of 81 and captures the pure joy and importance of the win to club players and fans alike - a fabulous book - essential reading to any spurs fans who remembers 81 and indeed essential reading to any spurs fan wanting a better understanding of the clubs history and culture. Can highly recommend the book

Got a unsigned copy of the book, is there any events coming up with players from the 81 squad where I could potentially get it signed?

Back
Top Bottom