New manager? - POLL ADDED

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who do we want to replace Pochettino?

• De Boer

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Benitez

• Klopp

Votes: 22 10.5%
  • Guardiola

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Ancelotti

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Mark Warburton

• Russell Slade

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Tony Pulis

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Pellegrini

• Sherwood

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • Keep Pochettino

Votes: 140 66.7%
  • John Carver

Votes: 20 9.5%

• Total voters
Quote someone with a fucking useless comment. That'll add to the debate. Good work!

I've tried before. Its pointless trying to engage him constructively, he'll always just turn it round to be about his same old tired agenda no matter what.

His selfish, negative and self indulgent behaviour is detrimental to the whole community on here, and the bigger picture is that people like Sammy (and others on here, he isn't the only keyboard warrior I have a problem with) are representative of a much bigger problem with supporters of our club (and football in general).

The chaps obviously intelligent so he should take some of his own advice and put up or shut up. If all of this bullshit is really such a big enough of a deal for him make nearly 16,000 posts in 4 years (whilst spending a good amount of time in the bin) then why not use all that energy to do something positive for the club and his fellow fans.

If people like him really give a shit so much, and it’s not just about being right all the time, then write a letter to the chairman. If you disagree with the running of the club so much then arrange a boycott (although you’d have to actually go to games first). Join the supporters trust and go to a meeting. Subscribe to STAND. Start your own forum / podcast / fanzine. Go to a FSF protest. If you're not local then start up a supporters group.

Give something back ffs!

Something more than winding me up on a constant basis. Got a 2 year old at home to do that for me.

It's hard not to, to be fair... you are present on almost every single page of every thread..........

(That's not a criticism, just an observation, FWIW :adesalute:)

I like it here, I can post as much as I want....I try and talk about Spurs issues...try and do the same, and there wont be any problems will there.

There is an ignore feature. Use it.

Sorry, I don't buy any of that. This squad has been together for three, and in some cases up to five managers. The problems have been the same. Some have no professional attitude, or work ethic. Others simply don't have the talent or physical ability any longer. Some were completely wrong choices who either haven't panned out, or who were brought in for a very different team than the systems used at Spurs.

Several players have been isolated for their repeated failure to perform. That's on them. The rest of the team have been run into the ground through a very long schedule as a result of this unreliability of their teammates.

The result is that right now we have a team which is badly fatigued, and cannot paper over the squad deficiencies. We need a proper midfield partner for Bentaleb. The options we have either lacked commitment (Capoue) or mobility (Stambouli), meaning we've been stuck with a central midfield with the resilience and defensive abilities of a Galaxy bar.

Paulinho has shown the same problems for two years now, and I don't think anyone can blame Pochettino when the issue has been identical under AVB, Sherwood and himself.

We have had one decent rightback all season, who is injured again. With no competent right back, we've been stuck playing a pair of centrebacks out of position to substitute, which has been rather limited, and not something to be blamed on the coach.

We had the same problem at leftback on the weekend, with both Rose and Davies unfit. Not anyone's fault, but still a big problem for the team.

Going forward, we've struggled to consistently find a band of three behind Kane which can both score goals and press properly. Chadli has been great at finding the net, but is less so at pressing. Townsend isn't too bad at pressing, but his offensive returns have been slender. And Lamela has been similar to Townsend, with added flair while doing so.

At this point, Eriksen has covered more distance than any player in the Premier League and needs a (well-earned) vacation, with Kane in a similar physical situation.

Adebayor, Soldado, Kaboul, Capoue, Stambouli, Chiriches, Paulinho. They've all had a chance this year to make themselves essential. Many started the season as the preferred choices. All failed the team. None of them were good enough, and those names (bar Stambouli) have featured prominently in "things gone wrong at Tottenham" lists for longer than Pochettino's tenure.

At some point, fans need to stop being knee-jerk, bandwagon-joining, Sun-reading melts and start looking at the long view. This is a patched together squad that comprises of the faded remains of a great team, a hurriedly slapped-together Frankenstein of a replacement for that squad, and a collection of surprisingly good academy products. There was no long-term planning or vision involved with this, just a series of improvised quick-fixes, with the fingerprints of multiple people not working together all over this final result.

Has Pochettino been able to put together the squad he wants, with the resources he deserved to do it? No.

Last summer he hadn't the time needed to evaluate matters and make the changes he wanted. He'd needed to trust that there was a foundation in place. That was wrong. He's now had eleven months to try solving that mess by first finding reliable people behind the scenes to help with the backroom side, and only now really has the ability to make changes to the squad.

This has been an awkward year, but the problems are a lot older than our current coach.

I think this is an excellent post and agree with the core of it completely. That is the only basis I have for thinking Poch definitely deserves more time though, that we must get some stability and allow time for a repair job and recovery. He hasn't really displayed any systematic or tactical masterclass whatsoever and the jury is out on him. Just because he needs time and should get it, still doesn't mean he'll end up being any good but let's hope so!

Taking everything you've said into account would be just as much a reason to have stuck with AVB or given Sherwood a real chance. Poch now HAS TO be given more time due to these circumstances, not because he's definitely up to it.

It's all about self-control. There are times to butt in, and times to just shake your head and keep moving...
and there are times to just...

1000x500px-ll-b2fdb6ac_lozgr_gif_collection_of_someone_eating_popcorn.gif

If I posted as much as Sammyspurs I'd probably be as villified, given that I've been skeptical of the Poch appointment since the beggining. You can go all the way back to about the 7th game of the season where people reacted incredulously when I suggested we'd been poor despite getting some OK results - but it was apparent at that early stage that squeaking past inferior Euro opposition and smashing a diabolical QPR was not a sign of greatness to come.

Sammy has a great point that it seems like player criticism is fine if they're underperforming but yet criticising the person charged with getting players to perform is virtually immune because 'he hasn't been given enough time'. Given enough time in Spain he guided Espanyol to the bottom of the league (9 points from 13 matches), so I'm not convinced that's always a great thing even if there were some mitigating circumstances.

He's not soley to blame - much of our current issues stem from the purchasing of players utterly at odds with the preferred team tactics, none more so than Soldado - a player with exceptional ability to provide the finishing touch to crosses or hit on the break... in a team that doesn't cross and compresses space up the pitch... but you can add Fazio (a low mobility 'Terry' style defender expected to command a wide open space) as a signing we believe was chosen by Poch. It's fairly clear from our random recruitment policy that we either need a manager to get the most out of the players we have, or players that better fit the profile of the style the manager prefers. This no-mans-land is a disaster.

In terms of progress and performance, yes we're 6th but almost by default. Our goal difference is +2 which is the best indicator of our season... we are literally 2 goals better than the league average. We might be 6th but our performances are as far from competing for the league as they are from relegation in nearly every statistical sense. If improvement does not happen (and there is no evidence that it's happening under Poch) then we are bang-average midtable and having grown up supporting a 8th-12th finishing Spurs side I know what that looks like.

So, once again it comes back to relative advantage. Are there better (proven) managers out there that suit the players we have? If so then twist. If there aren't better proven options, or the options available require a complete squad overhaul to work then stick with Poch and hope for the best. I really really hope I'm wrong about Poch but apart from ONE memorable game this season (the Woolwich win which we utterly controlled) I'm strugging to think of any other reason for optimism... the Chelsea 5-3 was great but chaotic, it could have been ANY score, the cup final run was nice but we beat nothing but sub-standard opposition on the road to Wembley. We got into the knockouts in Europe, but in 2nd place in the bloody Europa league table and deservedly knocked out by the first truly decent team we faced.

Go ahead and neg-rep me up for backing Sammy but I understand his frustration that wanting the best for your club does not automatically = backing the manager.

Last edited:
Its just a lot of people politely telling him that he's embarrassing himself, and the rest of the forum
Nobody really understands what you are trying to say, because we are adults and communicate in English
what? u have to tell him over & over again! u could just ignore him but u choose not to. so u & loads of others must enjoy it or have nothing better to do. so your logic is u like or feel the need to tell people when they are emberresing themselves repeatedly in the hope they stop. hmmm whatever floats your boat. keep lieing to yourself mick. tell yourself u are doing it for the good of the forum or for yourself.

I've defended you in the past when others have attacked who you are, not what you have said. I'd expect you to understand how frustrating this can be.

If you disagree with Sammy, tell him why. State your case. Don't just jump in with the rest of the "don't criticise or you're a melt" brigade. It's fucking petty and extremely frustrating.
its cringing how people on this forum are like sheep. & how they jump on whatever fashionable bandwagon is created next. (n17 troop, i want the most fashionable bandwagon u can find). do u remember when it was jay & the city jibes. cant believe how many people on this forum try so hard to fit in & be popular on an internet forum.

If I posted as much as Sammyspurs I'd probably be as villified, given that I've been skeptical of the Poch appointment since the beggining. You can go all the way back to about the 7th game of the season where people reacted incredulously when I suggested we'd been poor despite getting some OK results - but it was apparent at that early stage that squeaking past inferiour Euro opposition and smashing a diabolical QPR was not a sign of greatness to come.

Sammy has a great point that it seems like player criticism is fine if they're underperforming but yet criticising the person charged with getting players to perform is virtually immune because 'he hasn't been given enough time'. Given enough time in Spain he guided Espanyol to the bottom of the league (9 points from 13 matches), so I'm not convinced that's always a great thing even if there were some mitigating circumstances.

He's not soley to blame - much of our current issues stem from the purchasing of players utterly at odds with the preferred team tactics, none more so than Soldado - a player with exceptional ability to provide the finishing touch to crosses or hit on the break... in a team that doesn't cross and compresses space up the pitch... but you can add Fazio (a low mobility 'Terry' style defender expected to command a wide open space) as a signing we believe was chosen by Poch. It's fairly clear from our random recruitment policy that we either need a manager to get the most out of the players we have, or players that better fit the profile of the style the manager prefers. This no-mans-land is a disaster.

In terms of progress and performance, yes we're 6th but almost by default. Our goal difference is +2 which is the best indicator of our season... we are literally 2 goals better than the league average. We might be 6th but our performances are as far from competing for the league as they are from relegation in nearly every statistical sense. If improvement does not happen (and there is no evidence that it's happening under Poch) then we are bang-average midtable and having grown up supporting a 8th-12th finishing Spurs side I know what that looks like.

So, once again it comes back to relative advantage. Are there better (proven) managers out there that suit the players we have? If so then twist. If there aren't better proven options, or the options available require a complete squad overhaul to work then stick with Poch and hope for the best. I really really hope I'm wrong about Poch but apart from ONE memorable game this season (the Woolwich win which we utterly controlled) I'm strugging to think of any other reason for optimism... the Chelsea 5-3 was great but chaotic, it could have been ANY score, the cup final run was nice but we beat nothing but sub-standard opposition on the road to Wembley. We got into the knockouts in Europe, but in 2nd place in the bloody Europa league table and deservedly knocked out by the first truly decent team we faced.

Go ahead and neg-rep me up for backing Sammy but I understand his frustration that wanting the best for your club does not automatically = backing the manager.
I doubt anyone would disagree particularly with too much that you said. If people post in a reasonable manner, then even opinions that you disagree with are easier to take, particularly if you are prepared to discuss them, without insulting people for doing so.

If the guy gets some quality players (2 - possibly 3) and he still churns out performances like we have witnessed then I would agree with you and Sammy, but at the moment I can't see past the absolute averageness of the squad (if there's such a word - maybe mediocrity would be better) and think that getting us in the 5/6 area of the league is a reasonable start.

I also get the concept of the frustrations people have in the lacklustre performances, I see them as well - I don't just sit there in all my replica gear clapping like a loon with an inane grin on my face. We have gotten out of jail too many times, after painting ourselves into a corner through the lack of creativity and flair that our limited squad demonstrates.

We need better players in key areas

I suspect that we could also do with a bit of a clear out

I like it here, I can post as much as I want....I try and talk about Spurs issues...try and do the same, and there wont be any problems will there.

There is an ignore feature. Use it.

Don't be so insecure. I stated in my post that it was not a criticism, and now you're getting defensive...

Never said there's a problem...

(As an aside, putting you/other prolific posters on ignore makes no odds. It doesn't prevent threads becoming completely de-railed - again, not saying this is your fault but it seems to occur quite frequently.......)

its cringing how people on this forum are like sheep. & how they jump on whatever fashionable bandwagon is created next. (n17 troop, i want the most fashionable bandwagon u can find). do u remember when it was jay & the city jibes. cant believe how many people on this forum try so hard to fit in & be popular on an internet forum.
__HighHorse.jpg

what? u have to tell him over & over again! u could just ignore him but u choose not to. so u & loads of others must enjoy it or have nothing better to do. so your logic is u like or feel the need to tell people when they are emberresing themselves repeatedly in the hope they stop. hmmm whatever floats your boat. keep lieing to yourself mick. tell yourself u are doing it for the good of the forum or for yourself.
pardon?

Back
Top Bottom