New Manager Poll

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your pick as new manager?

• Laudrup

Votes: 33 13.1%
  • Klinsmann

Votes: 21 8.4%
  • Capello

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Hoddle

Votes: 23 9.2%
  • Redknapp

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • Luis Enrique

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Sherwood/Freund combo

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Another PL manager

Votes: 9 3.6%
  • Hiddink

Votes: 49 19.5%
  • Anyone else

Votes: 58 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hoddle on the job opening ...

Speaking on Sky Sports 1 before the clash with Southampton, he said: "Do I want the job? Well I've had the job there once.

"Tottenham Hotspur, you know I supported them when I was eight years of age. I went there at 12, left there at 28. Went back and managed. It's in my blood. It's in my bones.

"If I was offered the job, yes I would want to go back, even if it was for the sake of the club. (Interim manager) Tim (Sherwood) is in pole position here."

Sherwood took the side for Sunday's 3-2 win at St Mary's in a caretaker capacity and also wants a permanent position with the club.

"If the club felt that they wanted me to go in until the end of the season even, they wanted something else long term, I would be prepared to do that because I love the club," added Hoddle.

Hoddle insists he has not been contacted by Levy, and added that he would be willing to work for the man who sacked him a decade ago.

"They've not offered me the job, so it's all speculation, it's all a bit of media hype," he said.

"It's a different club completely this time. I think I had a squad that was ageing at the time, we were bringing free transfers in, we brought Teddy Sheringham and Gus Poyet in on free transfers.

"This isn't the same scenario at this club at the moment. It's a completely different scenario to that. I think there's a way forward."

Well, he is a yiddo ... I'll give him that.
I initially very much wanted to see him as a manager here, but over these past few days my views swayed as there are much better and safer options out there.

However, I would still let Sherwood take charge till end of the season (where based on the outcome, Levy should consider whether to hire him full time or not). And then we can go for LvG if needed. But, if somehow Sherwood does end up doing badly in the middle of this season, I think for interim basis only, Levy ought to consider Hoddle then.

Van Gaal rumour seems to be gathering pace. Take him in a heartbeat!!!

Wait till the summer probably since he has WC duty. TS till the summer and then we can properly analyse our options and who's available and who isn't. I feel we need to make a decision early in the summer though since a good pre season is paramount for making sure we get off to a good start.

Problem is if we give Steve Kean until the end of the season then we've really got to see it through as a 3rd manager in there would be even more disruptive. Hopefully b4 the Man U/Woolwich game we either have a new manager or at least a confirmed interim solution.
The worry is that whilst its a game by game audition there's still instability.

Problem is if we give Steve Kean until the end of the season then we've really got to see it through as a 3rd manager in there would be even more disruptive. Hopefully b4 the Man U/Woolwich game we either have a new manager or at least a confirmed interim solution.
The worry is that whilst its a game by game audition there's still instability.

I know it wasn't meant as Steve Kean himself, but now that he's popped into my mind, I wonder how many people actually appreciate what he managed to do with what he had, considering what's happened to Blackburn since he went. Slightly off topic there, not suggesting he's in the frame.

Whoever gets the job will be under pressure, but only because we actually have a good team. Perhaps most fans of other teams won't admit it, but on paper we have a team full of proven midfielders, defenders and a goalkeeper of international quality. Plus some promising 'yoofs', what with this Bentaleb looking decent and Coulthirst being touted as a good one.

I left out strikers, as Soldado and Defoe are fringe internationals at the moment (does Soldado even get in the Spain 24?), and I'm waiting to see if Ade decides he can't be arsed again in a few games.

Part of me thinks that Tim is the guy with the least pressure of practically any other man out there really... (as is always the case when someone is "caretaker")

I thought our football in the first half was erratic/scruffy, gun-ho, and thought that TS had sent them out so fired up that they performed liked head-less chickens!! Which had me thinking, this bloke (TS) is more about passion than brains! So I was relieved to hear him say, how poor he thought we were in the first half and got his message across better at half-time! The jury's out for me where Sherwood is concerned. But if we see more of the second half performance, throughout the whole of the WBA game, then he may just be the man to get the best out of the new signings, Ade too!

So, it seems you have a tricky situation occurring.

Do you opt for Van Gaal in the twilight of his career to give you a vast array of management experience and knowledge, though with no premier league experience or do you opt for Sherwood with his vast experience of premier league playing time but no management experience?

Or is Hoddle really a viable option?

Would love to hear some more information on van Gaal. His record is brilliant and managing the Dutch national team he obviously knows how to play attacking football.

Still, hope hear more in depth information from anyone who is familiar.

Last edited:
Van Gaal wants to stay as Netherlands coach for next summer's tournament.

"I've always said that I want to work in the Premier League, so there's a chance," he said.

Speaking to Dutch broadcasters NOS, the 62-year-old added: "Everyone who knows me knows I won't do two jobs at the same time.

"I've also read that Frank de Boer and Guus Hiddink were in the picture [for the Spurs job]."

Van Gaal wants to stay as Netherlands coach for next summer's tournament.

"I've always said that I want to work in the Premier League, so there's a chance," he said.

Speaking to Dutch broadcasters NOS, the 62-year-old added: "Everyone who knows me knows I won't do two jobs at the same time.

"I've also read that Frank de Boer and Guus Hiddink were in the picture [for the Spurs job]."

Already posted, do try and actually contribute something.

So, it seems you have a tricky situation occurring.

Do you opt for Van Gaal in the twilight of his career to give you a vast array of management experience and knowledge, though with no premier league experience or do you opt for Sherwood with his vast experience of premier league playing time but no management experience?
Van Gaal has made the right noises in respect of a desire to manage in England rather than just turning up for a paycheque. He's a proven winner and no older than Harry was when he joined. Van Gaal has won the title at every single club he's managed. That'sgot to be worth something. Not saying he'll do it with us, but at the very least he'll surely increase our chances of finishing in the top four.

Sherwood simply isn't experienced enough yup. Both Wednesday and yesterday showed us there's too much of Redknapp in him, albeit without the experience. I think you need more than the "just run around a bit philosophy" to get the best out of these players. You need someone who can manage to the player's strengths while having a tactical plan. Sherwood, like Harry, is just the polar opposite of AVB. You need something in between.

Or is Hoddle really a viable option?
:harrylol: No.

Please people , not Van Gaal - weren't we all crying out for stability ? That man doesnt know what the word means and has been in conflict with everyone at every club he ever coached - his main strategy in life is conflict and he's one of the biggest ego's in football - that's quite the achievement on its own.

The football he loves , i can dig but he will leave us and in dissaray - the big clubs he coached can just go and pick anyone they like after he leaves but we do not have that luxury anymore.

I just cant believe so many people on here suggesting sherwood till the end of the season before deciding wether hes good enough for the job or not. Ffs wak up. look at the table. look at our squad. we have a great chance of top 4 and a realistic shot at the title. we still have the fa amd europa cups to go for. this is not the time for fucking around with an inexperienced novice and seeing how it works out. We need a top coach im now.this season vould yet ne our most succesful in half a century. Why are so many happy to write it off.

I just cant believe so many people on here suggesting sherwood till the end of the season before deciding wether hes good enough for the job or not. Ffs wak up. look at the table. look at our squad. we have a great chance of top 4 and a realistic shot at the title. we still have the fa amd europa cups to go for. this is not the time for fucking around with an inexperienced novice and seeing how it works out. We need a top coach im now.this season vould yet ne our most succesful in half a century. Why are so many happy to write it off.

Bringing in a top manager isn't an option until the summer, that is why.

Back
Top Bottom