New Manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So some people want Poch because they're excited about him working with our youth and doing what he did with Soton, and yet a lot of people moan when Bentaleb was starting week in week out, not having a dig just curious to the way of thinking.

Weird use of logic there, we dont moan about Bentaleb starting, but starting in big games were we needed a strong midfield to protect a back 4 (that has often been frail this season ) we had experienced options on the bench. Kane , came in and scored 3 goals, made an impact, deserved more starts. Althought the contribution of bentaleb is questionable,highly inflated passing stats of him passing the ball sideways and backways in our own half, No different than livermore, however livemore gace us more posession and steel in midfield.

I struggle to understand some of our fans negativity. Seventh best squad? What a load of bollocks. I would say Man City and Chelsea have better squads,ours is comparable to Arsenals and better than Liverpool, Man Utd and Everton. We got 69 points this season despite being spectacularly mis-managed all season and bedding in seven new players with no EPL experience plus Townsend and Rose were new to the first team squad having been out on loan previously.

If I was an ambitious young manager I would look at that squad and I would rub my hands together thinking I could mould it into something special.

We don't need to make wholesale changes just a bit of tweaking a quality left back,a good centre back and maybe a new striker depending on Adebeyor.

Besides we are TOTTENHAM FUCKING HOTSPUR one of the most prestigious clubs in world football let alone in the EPL. There are only a handful of managers in world football we couldn't attract. The elite. The rest? They'd bite your hand off to manage this great club.

We are THFC establish in 1990 and any bit if mediocrity after then is better than the lord sugar era. We should be proud we avoid relegation each season.Have a chairmen who keeps us in the league...ect

So some people want Poch because they're excited about him working with our youth and doing what he did with Soton, and yet a lot of people moan when Bentaleb was starting week in week out, not having a dig just curious to the way of thinking.

I think the major point here is appropriate usage of the youth. Yes, Bentaleb and Kane managed to do alright, but they were often (especially Bentaleb) played in poor circumstances (namely getting his first start in a two-man midfield with no CDM and at the fucking Emirates). As of that very point, people were as inevitably going to be as predisposed against him as our failure would be that day, and he unfortunately came to embody the ineptitude and desperation of Tim Sherwood to win Levy's favor. While Poch or FdB would certainly find ways to utilize the youth, I think the hope is that he'll find ways to do it to optimize their development via appropriate situations vs baptism with the beam of the Death Star.

Last edited:
To be honest, I'm not exactly exhilarated by the prospect of Pochettino being our manager for however long Levy sees fit, but if he can come in and get us playing sexy football again whilst lifting the players' motivation more than Sherwood appeared to do, then he'll get my backing*.

Just hope that if he does sign some players, that they're actually ones he wants to sign, or it'll be last season all over again and I ain't got time for that shit.

COYS

Unless we lose the first game, then he can GTFO
:troll:

At the moment pretty much "everyone" (Sky, papers, itks etc) are saying Pochettino, so would be hugely surprising if it suddenly turned out to be anyone else at this point. Let's get it sorted so we can can start buying left backs :walker-scream:

I think many people were very unfair to both Bentaleb and Sherwood, all that stuff about 'his love child' was unwarranted IMHO.

As with so many things I await how the new manager does compared to the 'clueless, dim-witted' Sherwood. You know the one who beat Poch twice in one season and whose team finished above Soton, and gave Kane a much-needed chance. Oh this is going to be fun I reckon :)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Wij krijgen van een bron door dat Frank De Boer helaas Ajax gaat verlaten. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=#AJAX&amp;src=hash">#AJAX</a></p>&mdash; AjaxFanzone.NL (@AjaxFanzoneNL) <a href="">May 26, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Last RT translates to: We have a source that tells us Frank De Boer unfortunately is leaving Ajax.</p>&mdash; Arjun (@Arjun5_) <a href="">May 26, 2014</a></blockquote>

What clubs don't have a manager right now (apart from us)?

I think many people were very unfair to both Bentaleb and Sherwood, all that stuff about 'his love child' was unwarranted IMHO.

As with so many things I await how the new manager does compared to the 'clueless, dim-witted' Sherwood. You know the one who beat Poch twice in one season and whose team finished above Soton, and gave Kane a much-needed chance. Oh this is going to be fun I reckon :)

People need to stop banding about this "Sherwood beat Pochettino twice" bullshit. Spurs should have beaten Saints twice. The squads are incomparable. What people should be banding about is how clueless the approach was and how awful we fared against the bigger teams. Change was a necessity.

Found this on twitter..
Bojz9JIIgAANJOe.jpg

Found this on twitter..
Bojz9JIIgAANJOe.jpg

Nice, certainly calms some fears. An interesting thing to note is that a significant amount of those wages at Saints went to two players who barely had an impact this season (Osvaldo and Wynalda). Not sure if that's a good or bad thing yet. While I like what he's done with Saints' developed players, I hope he does a better job of finding compatible players for his tactics here.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Wij krijgen van een bron door dat Frank De Boer helaas Ajax gaat verlaten. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=#AJAX&amp;src=hash">#AJAX</a></p>&mdash; AjaxFanzone.NL (@AjaxFanzoneNL) <a href="">May 26, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Last RT translates to: We have a source that tells us Frank De Boer unfortunately is leaving Ajax.</p>&mdash; Arjun (@Arjun5_) <a href="">May 26, 2014</a></blockquote>

What clubs don't have a manager right now (apart from us)?

Not too sure. Monaco, West Brom, Celtic, Brighton. Any other clubs?

I agree people were unfair to Bentaleb. Wasn't his fault he was poorly selected for the games he was, and he did a decent job in utility. He just simply was made to be the avatar of Sherwood's desperate attempt to please Levy which in it's selfishness consequently hurt our team.

As for Sherwood, while I appreciated those entertaining comebacks, three of the four goals we yielded them this season should never have happened and were the result of stunning defensive errors (the fourth was a lovely heads up play from Lallana, couldn't even get mad about it). Therefore, I don't give much credit to Sherwood commandeering those comebacks. I'm much more inclined to chalk those up to Eriksen and his bizarre unfazability and distanced mentality for a professional athlete.

for me the biggest issue with bentaleb was the blind repetitious use of him, he was OK - but not always the right choice. Personally I felt he was exposed for his skillset and experience on several occasions

for me the biggest issue with bentaleb was the blind repetitious use of him, he was OK - but not always the right choice. Personally I felt he was exposed for his skillset and experience on several occasions

He did show some great potential though so happy he was blooded in. All be it in a over-zealous fashion.

I might be thick but I don't see the relevance in the comparison of those seasons?
Like ArtyB ArtyB said, but also for me a comparison like the above, where you compare the stats of teams of a broadly similar stature, is more relevant than saying we did the double over Southampton with Sherwood in charge. It was interesting to read.

Two caveats for me: Wigan's diabolical lack of investment means Martinez deserves extra credit, and Rodgers and Martinez managed for more than just 1 season so were no flash in the pans.

Back
Top Bottom