Next Manager Poll (poll reset 11/04/23)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Next Manager

• Rodgers

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Potter

Votes: 25 6.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 177 42.1%
  • Kompany

Votes: 43 10.2%
  • Slot

Votes: 91 21.7%
  • Postecoglou

Votes: 73 17.4%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 31 7.4%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • Stellini

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Frank

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Luis Enrique

Votes: 21 5.0%
  • Zidane

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Glasner

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Amorim

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Carrick

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 23 5.5%
  • Schmidt

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
Lots of indications that Slot is very keen on English football and full of ideas about how to succeed in the Premier League, which is appealing and heartening. There's a ton wrong with the Spurs job, but we are at the very least English football.

I like Slot a lot in the abstract. He'd want the job for what it is, and there's a "happy warrior" aspect to his personality that seems like a good fit for the toxic cloud occupying our dressing room. And he's obviously a good coach who is ideologically committed to attacking football.

I just can't get over how distant our squad is from the ideal of playing his football. The forced compromise of ill-fitting parts due to the club's refusal to do business properly will be the story of the Slot administration IMMEDIATELY.

I also just wonder how much that mask of positivity can survive what an existential saga the last year of Kane's contract is going to be.

Not so sure about that.

I don't have much faith in the club to do business for top shelf players but Slot isn't a big name that wants to bring in established big names. This club has traditionally been a springboard club: Modric, Bale, Sheringham, Berbatov, Eriksen, Walker, Trippier

Not saying we need to get back to that where we sell our best players but all of those would have been the right profile for a manager like Slot when they arrived.

In terms of not being a good fit, I think that's oversimplifying things because he plays 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. He also plays with inverted fullbacks from MF, a role that Porro looks like he could do well.

It's easy to look at a dysfunctional squad right now with zero clear rules defensively and say something like "Porro can't defend in a 4" but also forget that Amorim played him in a 4 without the ball and as an advanced wing back with the ball. That isn't a million miles away from what Slot does.

Spence has been playing in a 4 and 5 in France and did well. Emerson can play in a 4 as can Davies.

Udogie is a kid coming into the league for the first time. He doesn't need expectations on his shoulders and we have no idea what he might be here.

Probably Slot needs the same things most managers would need in this squad: Top class CBs and a more creative CM.

Grow Do Something GIF by AionCommunity

Do It Now GIF by DriveTribe

Not so sure about that.

I don't have much faith in the club to do business for top shelf players but Slot isn't a big name that wants to bring in established big names. This club has traditionally been a springboard club: Modric, Bale, Sheringham, Berbatov, Eriksen, Walker, Trippier

Not saying we need to get back to that where we sell our best players but all of those would have been the right profile for a manager like Slot when they arrived.

In terms of not being a good fit, I think that's oversimplifying things because he plays 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. He also plays with inverted fullbacks from MF, a role that Porro looks like he could do well.

It's easy to look at a dysfunctional squad right now with zero clear rules defensively and say something like "Porro can't defend in a 4" but also forget that Amorim played him in a 4 without the ball and as an advanced wing back with the ball. That isn't a million miles away from what Slot does.

Spence has been playing in a 4 and 5 in France and did well. Emerson can play in a 4 as can Davies.

Udogie is a kid coming into the league for the first time. He doesn't need expectations on his shoulders and we have no idea what he might be here.

Probably Slot needs the same things most managers would need in this squad: Top class CBs and a more creative CM.
There's the fullback issue, but there's also just the overall dearth of technical quality in the squad.

New GK
Porro Romero New CB Davies
Bentancur Bissouma
New 10
Kulusevski Kane Son

I mean, I guess? Not a lot of depth there.

3-4-3 German pressball is a lot less of a stretch.

There's the fullback issue, but there's also just the overall dearth of technical quality in the squad.

New GK
Bentancur Bissouma
New 10
Kulusevski Kane Son

It isnt great is it That front 3 couldnt press a button. Huge question marks over the full backs, Bentancur out until November and unclear how he will return. For a coach that wants a high energy game i really think we need 2 proper first teamers in that front 3 with Kulu and Son bench players or moved on.

Not really, for instance Van Gaal's English was pretty bad (especially when he arrived in Manchester), certainly not 'good'.

It's part of human nature that some people very easily pick up a foreign language and others will struggle forever (and everything in between), the Dutch aren't exactly an exception in that regard.
The thing is, though, that Dutch and English are quite similar languages. Dutch is actually linguistically closer to English than any other language. Which is why it is a given that the overwhelming majority of Dutch people would also speak English fairly comfortably (and they happen to be the most fluent non-native English speakers). So it's not the same as a Frenchman trying to learn English. More like a Spaniard trying to learn Portuguese.

Now if you're talking about their accent when speaking English, that's a different story. :p

Interesting that he's addressing the players in the dressing room in English.

A better lingua franca among players from elsewhere I guess. I wonder how common that is.
He always has, at least with Feyenoord. Dutchmen understand English very well and it's a universal language, so makes sense to use it for the foreign players too, who are more likely to speak some English rather than Dutch.

New GK
Bentancur Bissouma
New 10
Kulusevski Kane Son

Fullback issue isn't a pressing issue for a good coach IMO. I get that I'm probably alone in that.

Those 3 big signings at GK, CB, 8/10 are HUGE. Probably a CB that also plays LB and convert Emerson into the same. Then maybe competition for Kulusevski that wants to press but that really could be Gil for at least next season.

I think we need depth and to shift a lot out the door.

3-4-3 with Nagelsmann makes more sense on paper I agree but it's not as far from Slot ball as many people think.

The thing is, though, that Dutch and English are quite similar languages. Dutch is actually linguistically closer to English than any other language. Which is why it is a given that the overwhelming majority of Dutch people would also speak English fairly comfortably (and they happen to be the most fluent non-native English speakers). So it's not the same as a Frenchman trying to learn English. More like a Spaniard trying to learn Portuguese.

Now if you're talking about their accent when speaking English, that's a different story. :p
Sure, but you would still expect and indeed clearly see a spectrum from extremely bad to excellent. What you can say is that most Dutch people will be fine to a certain extend, but that doesn't mean that every Dutch person's English is 'good' as suggested earlier (millions range from very bad to okayish at best), far from it.

Last edited:
Ridiculous, and frankly looks like more of a projection by you than anything else.

I was going to ask which non-white ethnic glaring omission there was from said 'leadership group' but if Sonny is your go to then that's not even a particularly good shout - while he's captain of Korea by default of being their best player he's never demonstrated leadership qualities on the pitch for Spurs that I've seen. I doubt you could suggest another player who is apparently being missed out due to this terrible and obvious case of profiling by the club.

I don't disagree with those who think Dier and Hojbjerg do a bit too much pointing and shouting rather than proper leading, but alas we're somewhat thin on the ground in terms of proper leaders. It seems generally that seniority in the squad has led to things being the way they are.

Skipp, according to Gold, was very vocal in the dressing room recently and obviously has the experience of coming through the academy (multiple managers have also said he's future captain material).
Not interested in the culture war. I do think you should certainly try to have a diverse leadership group in any organisation (oddly I suspect the much maligned Eric Dier is uniquely occupying a space here as I've been told he is a very big bridge between non English/English players at Spurs) but I'm here to contend with the idea Son Heung-Min has not shown leadership at Spurs. I can think of occasions both on off the pitch where he has fully been the talismans and leader. Yeah that's not pointing and shouting it's by example when it was against us. Ledley King did not point and shout much but he was clearly the leader.

Going to be slot isn't it. Good luck to him. Personally wanted poch back but must be an underlying issue why. Quite liked the style sporting played against us in CL under amorim. If new boss abandons dier contract talks hes already on right path imo.

Still nothing concrete after 53 days. Just incredible.
The lack of a rapid succession plan for Paratici, where we had far more warning of needing a replacement and where bringing a replacement in midseason is more natural, is way crazier and worse than the managerial situation, IMO.

Levy can save his blushes if both positions are announced on a next week-ish timescale. Beyond that the situation deteriorates very, very rapidly.

Back
Top Bottom