No charges against the 3 fans arrested for using the 'Y' word

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

i thought this was done, then this popped up...

feb 2018

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn - a Woolwich fan - has called on Spurs fans to abandon 'yid' chants.

“The idea of adopting a term to neutralise it doesn’t really work because it is identifying a club by an ethnic group or faith, whereas you should be identifying club through supporters."

“Calling Woolwich fans ‘Gooners’ or ‘Gunners’ is fine because that is what it is because of the origins or heritage of the club.”

from the same article....

Police are currently investigating allegations that Liverpool supporters directed antisemitic language towards Tottenham Hotspur players after the two sides’ heated Premier League match on Sunday.

Video footage appeared to show a Liverpool fan in the Main Stand at Anfield using the term “Jewish c***s” moments after Spurs forward Harry Kane converted a contentious penalty to draw the match level at 2-2.

“Three or four” fans in total were also heard calling Tottenham players “Yid c**ts”, according to a journalist covering the game.

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/jeremy-corbyn-tottenham-yid-chant-urged-drop-1.458359
Corbyn needs to look a little closer to home & sort his own house out before jumping on this band wagon. The neck on that fucker is beyond belief.

feb 2018

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn - a Woolwich fan - has called on Spurs fans to abandon 'yid' chants.

“The idea of adopting a term to neutralise it doesn’t really work because it is identifying a club by an ethnic group or faith, whereas you should be identifying club through supporters."

“Calling Woolwich fans ‘Gooners’ or ‘Gunners’ is fine because that is what it is because of the origins or heritage of the club.”

Police are currently investigating allegations that Liverpool supporters directed antisemitic language towards Tottenham Hotspur players after the two sides’ heated Premier League match on Sunday.

Video footage appeared to show a Liverpool fan in the Main Stand at Anfield using the term “Jewish c***s” moments after Spurs forward Harry Kane converted a contentious penalty to draw the match level at 2-2.

“Three or four” fans in total were also heard calling Tottenham players “Yid c**ts”, according to a journalist covering the game.

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/jeremy-corbyn-tottenham-yid-chant-urged-drop-1.458359

By ‘just popped up’, do you mean 9 months ago?

I will agree that it seems the CPS was and will continue to test the waters with this. My (and the majority of people I've spoken too) main gripe with this is why is it that spurs fans are targeted first? Why are we in the preposterous position where there was 3 spurs fans arrested and going to court while west ham fans at the time was racially abuse those being arrested?

I'd be willing to have a debate on whether we should drop Yid from our vocabulary. Only after we stop having anti-semetic abuse thrown at us consistently at games, in pubs and online

Smoked Salmon Smoked Salmon - Is this in danger of falling into a grey area where people are raked over the coals before the CPS just drops the case?
I wouldn't call that a grey area. I would call that not being prosecuted. While the experience is probably stressful, the reality is that the person is not convicted so there is no lasting impact.

It's also unlikely that a precedent would have been set had there been a hearing since it would likely only reach precedent stage if there had been a conviction and it was appealed. Public Order Act offenses are nothing new and it may simply have been a conviction at first instance with no further challenges.

I haven't yet read why this was dropped, but I suspect it was because of the difficulty of producing evidence beyond the statements of stewards and/or the officers who issued warnings. If I were fans I would not be cavalier and assume this is a free pass to say what they like at games without fear of action. It's possible that this will be tried again at a later date if the problems in this instance were evidence based and they can be overcome so I think people should keep this in mind when dealing with the police at games.

Either the CPS do not have the evidence or some political muscle has been used to induce them to drop the case.??

More likely it's been referred to them by the police who've autonomously decided to arrest people for it, they've had a look and decided it's a load of bollocks with zero legal basis.

Also what I love about this is it is the day before Chelsea. Adds an extra edge to proceedings tomorrow. Buzzing so much now for tomorrow.

Brilliant news, finally common sense has prevailed, and I say that as a Spurs fan who comes from a Jewish heritage.

I would hope that the context in which Spurs fans use the word, has at last be understood and accepted.

YID ARMY!!!!

I still don't understand the CPS's legal case to begin with. You can't charge spurs fans with racially aggravated section 5; the law just just not make sense. We have to be hostile or motivated by hostility specifically towards an ethnic group, which we aren't. I can understand section 5 on its own but you need to prove 'yid' is offensive. It is only offensive in a racial context.
Am I wrong here...?
Yes. Intent isn't required under the act, only that you be in the vicinity of people who may reasonably by distressed by the chant. Well, I can tell you personally that part of the Jewish community still find it offensive, and it's not a stretch to assume that there are Jewish people in the crowd at White Hart Lane, especially when the chairman himself is Jewish! Plus, Jews are an ethnic group as much as they are a religious group. So I actually think it does come within the scope of the legislation. Any more definition on this particular issue would need a case to get at least as far as the Court of Appeal so that judges could give commentary. But if people are hoping for Parliament or the courts to sign off on a "yid is not offensive" policy, I don't think you're going to be seeing it any time soon.

feb 2018

Weirdly, to my ears, "Jewish Cunt" sounds a lot more Anti Semitic than "Yid Cunt"

"YID" relates to Tottenham, the club... Liverpool fans are Allowed to hate Spurs...
But JEWISH CUNT is a whole other matter...

Potato/Potahto I guess!

They have no case, you must show hostility towards an ethnic group under the definition of 'racialized'. Section 5 on its own is not offensive because the y word is only offensive if it is used as an ethnic slur, so they need 'racialized' on the charge.
:freundgoal: does this mean we have won?

Back
Top Bottom