Nordic FA may leave FIFA

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ok. I would say getting facts is important. Fake news is a real thing.
True (ish) because 90% I wasn't sure but it's more or less right .

2014 fifa WC revenue 4.8bn
2011-2014 total revenue 5.7bn
84% revenue from WC without taking into account increased advertising indirectly related to the prestige of running it every 4 years.

Numbers from the fifa website.

Fifa are also in need of money.
FIFA is a non-profit organization, they absolutely are not.

It's a mix of hubris, desire for more money to give them more influence, and pure zombie-brained neoliberal ideology that leads them to add more game inventory to their golden goose, devaluing the product be damned.

When a drug dealer cuts their product with baking soda, it's exactly the same thing.

The class of people that control sports have it in their head that these are untouchable assets that can just be bled for money ad infinitum. The next couple of decades will be a cavalcade of desecration of all traditions and propriety in these games in order to squeeze one last drop of revenue growth, and that process will test, and I predict disprove, that hypothesis.

FIFA is a non-profit organization, they absolutely are not.

It's a mix of hubris, desire for more money to give them more influence, and pure zombie-brained neoliberal ideology that leads them to add more game inventory to their golden goose, devaluing the product be damned.

When a drug dealer cuts their product with baking soda, it's exactly the same thing.

The class of people that control sports have it in their head that these are untouchable assets that can just be bled for money ad infinitum. The next couple of decades will be a cavalcade of desecration of all traditions and propriety in these games in order to squeeze one last drop of revenue growth, and that process will test, and I predict disprove, that hypothesis.
Non profit but executives get huge perks and wages and the only way they stay relevant compared to UEFA is by offering larger and larger bungs to the relevant associations.

Non profit but executives get huge perks and wages and the only way they stay relevant compared to UEFA is by offering larger and larger bungs to the relevant associations.
Or they could just operate as a conservatorship of the most beloved sporting competition on earth.

You're right about the mechanics of what's going on, but that's a CHOICE.

Is nothing sacred against the imperative to suck the globe dry of revenue?

Or they could just operate as a conservatorship of the most beloved sporting competition on earth.

You're right about the mechanics of what's going on, but that's a CHOICE.

Is nothing sacred against the imperative to suck the globe dry of revenue?
I'm agreeing with you but providing context on the why they are bleeding it.

Don't they sit on a massive mound of money 'just in case' too?

It's a farce. How do I become boss of FIFA? I'll run it like a proper non-profit and get that money out the door.

Don't they sit on a massive mound of money 'just in case' too?

It's a farce. How do I become boss of FIFA? I'll run it like a proper non-profit and get that money out the door.

It seems like a load (2bn) but in reality that's less profit than one WC, they could really be in the shit sooner if they keep pissing clubs and public off. Need to pay bigger bungs hence the club WC plans.

In my opinion the reactions to the proposed changes to the internationals format seems blown out of proportion and almost conspiratorial. "They do it because they want money!!"

Well, do they? Who likes the way the international games interrupt the league seasons nowadays? I sure as shit do not. Every international break is annoying. Boring games for the top teams that almost always wins comfortably, frustrating games between mid tier teams that play too defensively, and an unwanted break from the games that we want to see.

However, international tournaments, after the club season has ended, is quite fun.

So, how about less of the former and more of the latter? And what if cutting (down on) the mid season international qualifiers will actually allow a friendlier program for the athletes during the club season, and also shorten the club season a bit to allow for more quality, great-fun tournaments? Yes please!

This CAN be done correctly and improve on what we got! Refusing to discuss it because "It's just a money grab" is ridiculous.

I think part of the reason the nordic countries are acting tough is that there's been so much controversy around the Qatar WC.

There is no doubt that FIFA has a history (and probably also a current problem) of corruption. That does not mean that good ideas should be thrown away without proper consideration.

We have the World Cup every 4 years and the Euros every 4 years. The Euros involve similar qualifying matches and apart from Brazil & Argentina the other Countries are making up the numbers. It is harder to win a WC only because of Brazil & Argentina.
Cannot see it would make much difference.

Back
Top Bottom