Now that the CL is gone, is it better for us to miss out on the EL?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss the latest matches, our players and any transfer news surrounding Spurs. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts. You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Now that the CL is gone. Do you want us to qualify for the Europa League?

• Yes, Europa league is worth qualifying for and trying to win

Votes: 66 62.9%
  • No, Europa league will hinder our chances of getting back into the Top 4

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Don't care as long as we finish above Woolwich this season

Votes: 18 17.1%

• Total voters
Before they made Europa league champions get a spot in the champions league (silly it took them that long, as if third place in the french league is somehow a superior achievement to winning a pan european cup) it honestly didn't make much sense. There's really not a lot of money in it and players didn't seem to care much about it, so it didn't help that much with attracting talent.

Now players do care about it somewhat, and it is another chance at making it into the champs league. No brainers really.

Comment
My retort didn't allude to ENIC other than to say that they play a part in our ups and downs; yet you come back with that fantastical drivel???

Really? :roll: ...That's you in a nutshell.

Meanwhile back in the real world: your replies(s) simply re-affirm you're unwilling/incapable of engaging with people on the basis of what they actually type and opt to simply peddle false-narrative or childishly poke others with 'sticks' and instead.
Why use 1 word when 3 fills the page !
Genuinely shocked by the poll results.

We struggle for depth enough without playing 17 extra matches and travelling all around Europe.

Absolute blessing in disguise not getting it. Bring on the normal Saturday kick-offs.

I really fancy our chances of a league or fa cup next season without it, as I do think Jose will take them both very seriously.

And yes Jose would take Europa seriously too, but if we try and take everything seriously we'll do "OK" in everything. I'd rather do amazing in one thing and win it. It's nice to imagine we can go full force in every competition but Europa really takes its toll over the course of a season. And even going all out for Europa obviously doesn't guarantee any success with it.

Whilst I'd love to see us win something, Europa in my view is the LEAST exciting of all. It is literally a competition for the second-rate teams. Winning the FA Cup would be far better in my view, and can be done in far less matches with far less disruption to the team.

Yes, I believe top players are influenced by whether a team has Champions league football, but I do not believe having Europa is make or break at all. Money is. No top player is influenced by playing Qarabag over 2 legs on a Thursday.

Getting in Europa would put us back in the europa league cycle every season. Let's do what Chelsea did instead, have a season out of Europe and focus on the domestic tournaments. I honestly believe we have a much better chance of getting top 4 that way and/or winning a trophy.

I also believe if we have a disastrous end to the season and finish 9th/10th it'll hit ENIC where it hurts. I believe they want to sell us for a big pay out eventually, and being outside of Europe massively hurts the possibility of that. This might actually force them to do something to improve the team. Getting Europa will paper over the cracks. If we don't get Europa, and Mourinho's had time with the team and still can't do anything with it, ENIC will have to accept they either need to invest in the team, or that they're not going to get their big pay out.
Amen !
I couldn't have put it better. Shorter but not better !

Comment
I think Spurs finishing high enough for an EL place is looking a bit of stretch right now.
Badly need a result against Everton in Monday to at least lift the gloomy atmosphere a bit.

Comment
Apologies if it's already been covered but am I right in thinking 8th would qualify for Europa League on basis of the City ban being upheld, City winning the League Cup, and the FA cup being won by a side already in top 7? I figure it does.

Comment

ArcspacE

Supporter
ENIC OUT NOW !!! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
Apologies if it's already been covered but am I right in thinking 8th would qualify for Europa League on basis of the City ban being upheld, City winning the League Cup, and the FA cup being won by a side already in top 7? I figure it does.
I don’t think City’s ban would be upheld though

Comment
I think we have to be in the Europa League. We need to be for our coefficient as much as it being another trophy to win.

I haven’t always been a fan of it, it’s pretty shit but being in it is better than being out of it. Champions league is gone now, the manager needs to motivate the players for something. It might as well be European competition. I bet the players would rather play in it than not.

Comment
You can bet your bottom dollar that Levy wants EL.

In the current global climate he has limited income. No fans in stadia, no NFL, no concerts.

Whether you play the kids or the 1st team the EL generates some revenue from TV. Yes it's pocket change compared to CL but its income nonetheless. If fans are allowed back then it adds a bit more revenue for the few thousand that turn up (the ground will not be full - hell it wasn't even full for our group stage matches in the CL this year).

Levy can't afford to turn down this income. Whether it gets put back into the transfer kitty is a different question, but at least if we are in the EL we have the option to spend some money on transfers.

Added to the coefficient we would lose.
By playing the kids it gives them experience if we decide to go that way.

Surely we should be looking to qualify for the EL regardless, and we can make decisions whether to play kids or 1st team as and when matches come around and depending on the fixture schedule / travel impact.

Also I get to go on holiday and watch Spurs in Europe. After this Lockdown I'll take a holiday even if it is in Kazakhstan during a global pandemic!!!

Comment
The Europa is another fuck knows 10 games minimum we get to play without any reward at the end, besides our poor tired little players might do well to have only 1 game a week for most of the season....so finishing outside those places might be a blessing in disguise... but then again a blessing to do what?

Comment
You can bet your bottom dollar that Levy wants EL.

In the current global climate he has limited income. No fans in stadia, no NFL, no concerts.

Whether you play the kids or the 1st team the EL generates some revenue from TV. Yes it's pocket change compared to CL but its income nonetheless. If fans are allowed back then it adds a bit more revenue for the few thousand that turn up (the ground will not be full - hell it wasn't even full for our group stage matches in the CL this year).

Levy can't afford to turn down this income. Whether it gets put back into the transfer kitty is a different question, but at least if we are in the EL we have the option to spend some money on transfers.

Added to the coefficient we would lose.
By playing the kids it gives them experience if we decide to go that way.

Surely we should be looking to qualify for the EL regardless, and we can make decisions whether to play kids or 1st team as and when matches come around and depending on the fixture schedule / travel impact.

Also I get to go on holiday and watch Spurs in Europe. After this Lockdown I'll take a holiday even if it is in Kazakhstan during a global pandemic!!!

Comment
Woolwich looking good to win the FA Cup, as predicted. A man up and a goal up with about 10 minutes to go.

Is that an extra 6 games onto our schedule now against glorified pub teams in the preliminary rounds of this Mickey Mouse Cup?

Comment
Woolwich looking good to win the FA Cup, as predicted. A man up and a goal up with about 10 minutes to go.

Is that an extra 6 games onto our schedule now against glorified pub teams in the preliminary rounds of this Mickey Mouse Cup?
I think it's just one qualifier game.

Comment

Just 3 games. Probably 1 or 2 against Mickey Mouse teams, and then someone half-decent we'll still be favourites against. The thing is it's after the season starts and obviously could be some very long trips. I don't want any excuses from Jose though. We were only 3 points off 5th when he was appointed, and we were still in the FA Cup. He is responsible for this situation, and he is responsible for getting through it without dropping league points.

Comment
Just 3 games. Probably 1 or 2 against Mickey Mouse teams, and then someone half-decent we'll still be favourites against. The thing is it's after the season starts and obviously could be some very long trips. I don't want any excuses from Jose though. We were only 3 points off 5th when he was appointed, and we were still in the FA Cup. He is responsible for this situation, and he is responsible for getting through it without dropping league points.
Just checked, it's just a one off tie on September 17...

Comment
Be interesting if we have any injuries at the start of the season to see what Jose does. He could easily fuck off the EL and blame Levy for not strengthening the squad.

Comment
Be interesting if we have any injuries at the start of the season to see what Jose does. He could easily fuck off the EL and blame Levy for not strengthening the squad.
I think he'll go for it.

He must realize that top 4 is out of the question so the only chance he has of saving his job/reputation is winning a trophy.

EL will be by far the best chance we have of winning a trophy so I think he goes hard for it.

Comment
Or he could blame himself for not being able to beat the likes of Norwich, Crystal Palace and Bournemouth to win the cup or finish higher up the league! In all seriousness though I don't think he will. Even a somewhat rotated side should win through qualifying and GS, and it's a trophy we can't afford to pass up

Comment
Top Bottom