Nuno Espírito Santo

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nuno

• Total voters
Guys like Mancini, Pellegrini, Zaniolo, Spinazolla (when he's back) walk in to our team when fit, and there's a few others who would be contenders.

I think we edge it, but by far is a stretch. It would be silly to be embarrassed if we lost to them in a close tie.

Knowing our luck we'll draw them in the qtr finals or something like that.

Guys like Mancini, Pellegrini, Zaniolo, Spinazolla (when he's back) walk in to our team when fit, and there's a few others who would be contenders.

I think we edge it, but by far is a stretch. It would be silly to be embarrassed if we lost to them in a close tie.
Eh. I think if you believe that, you don't really have room to criticize Nuno. Because we're either a clearly more talented team than Roma, or we're about where we deserve to be in the PL.

We're a far more talented team than Roma. We're underperforming.

Eh. I think if you believe that, you don't really have room to criticize Nuno. Because we're either a clearly more talented team than Roma, or we're about where we deserve to be in the PL.

We're a far more talented team than Roma. We're underperforming.

My issue with Nuno isn't because of results. In terms of just that he's done fine. The problem is we're near the bottom for chances created and for pressing statistics, so we're continuing the trend of being a passive, defence minded side. Pochettino didn't do fantastically well results wise first season (and had some very bad players to work with) but we were working hard and trying to play an attractive brand of football.

And we've underperformed now under 3 managers (poch in his final season and a half, Mourinho and now Nuno) so at that point you have to question the squad itself. We have two very good players in Kane and Son, beyond that there isn't that much quality. Roma are a reasonably talented squad too, especially with Abraham filling that Dzeko void.

But hey, it's all opinions. I'd love for us to meet them in the final.

My issue with Nuno isn't because of results. In terms of just that he's done fine. The problem is we're near the bottom for chances created and for pressing statistics, so we're continuing the trend of being a passive, defence minded side. Pochettino didn't do fantastically well results wise first season (and had some very bad players to work with) but we were working hard and trying to play an attractive brand of football.

And we've underperformed now under 3 managers (poch in his final season and a half, Mourinho and now Nuno) so at that point you have to question the squad itself. We have two very good players in Kane and Son, beyond that there isn't that much quality. Roma are a reasonably talented squad too, especially with Abraham filling that Dzeko void.

But hey, it's all opinions. I'd love for us to meet them in the final.
Early days, Poch wasn't playing attractive attacking football. Early Poch was AVB 2.0, and people were very annoyed with it. But what he did was focus on solidifying the defence and sorting through the squad to see who would buy into the pressing and who needed to be culled. When he got that figured out, then we starting playing more attacking football.

I've said it many times before, but Poch was a very natural progression of the work AVB did and I don't think things would have gone in a dissimilar direction, ethos-wise, had AVB been kept. AVB's problem was man-management and relating to the press/supporters. He's always been a cold fish, and it led to a squad revolt...where as Poch got squad buy-in. Poch also benefitted from AVB's tanking, as it gave him the leverage to force out some established players that'd been part of the revolt.

All of that to say, I'm willing to give Nuno some rope. He and Paratici are remaking this squad. My issue is they need to show a clear direction, that we're going somewhere and not just lurching from week to week. I just think he desperately needs to get Kane going to get things rolling.

Agreed. It's too soon to make a firm judgement. But the clock is ticking.
It's not too late if you think he should never have even been considered for the job in the first place. Wolves fans aren't exactly keen to have him back.

Nuno is a second-rate manager who got this job because Levy and Paratici made a total mess of finding a first-rate manager.

If he lasts the season i'll be shocked but on a 2 year deal he's basically a dead man walking anyway.

It's not too late if you think he should never have even been considered for the job in the first place. Wolves fans aren't exactly keen to have him back.

Nuno is a second-rate manager who got this job because Levy and Paratici made a total mess of finding a first-rate manager.

If he lasts the season i'll be shocked but on a 2 year deal he's basically a dead man walking anyway.
I think of him as a caretaker manager. A step up in experience from Mason (although not necessarily in results!). The idea that he'll be in charge of the next 5 year plan is laughable right this minute.

Talking of plans: what are ours again? I still don't really know. Under Poch it was to pay less attention to the smaller trophies and mount a proper challenge in the CL. He made that clear. Week after week he'd talk about the project.

Has anybody actually said what we're aiming for? The lack of info is why I think it would have been a good idea for the board to sit down with the THST and give an outline of where we're going over the next few years.

Early days, Poch wasn't playing attractive attacking football. Early Poch was AVB 2.0, and people were very annoyed with it. But what he did was focus on solidifying the defence and sorting through the squad to see who would buy into the pressing and who needed to be culled. When he got that figured out, then we starting playing more attacking football.

I've said it many times before, but Poch was a very natural progression of the work AVB did and I don't think things would have gone in a dissimilar direction, ethos-wise, had AVB been kept. AVB's problem was man-management and relating to the press/supporters. He's always been a cold fish, and it led to a squad revolt...where as Poch got squad buy-in. Poch also benefitted from AVB's tanking, as it gave him the leverage to force out some established players that'd been part of the revolt.

All of that to say, I'm willing to give Nuno some rope. He and Paratici are remaking this squad. My issue is they need to show a clear direction, that we're going somewhere and not just lurching from week to week. I just think he desperately needs to get Kane going to get things rolling.

It wasn't particularly pretty because of the players available, but we pressed well from the start. You could see he was implementing a front foot style of play. We certainly wouldn't have been the least hard working team in the league, or bottom for chances created. Not at any point.

There were some overlaps (high line, wing backs, etc) but under AVB we played more possession oriented football, and it was pretty stale. Pochettino wanted us to have the ball but we were much more physical and combative.

We should definitely give Nuno some time. If only because we would look unappealing to other managers if we sacked him this early, and the results really don't justify that kind of knee jerk yet. But stylistically I haven't seen enough signs we're making any progress (Villa was an improvement though) and if that continues I won't have high hopes.

And yeah, he's suffered from Kane being completely off his game, no doubt.

WTF Nuno was your first choice? What evidence do you have that he is a talented coach. Wolves was the longest he lasted in any job and the football was atrocious there most the time. The fact is we were absolutley stupid going with a manager apart from managing in the Premier League I saw no upside from getting him. If Ole goes I can see United bringing in Potter most talented English manger in years.
Read my post again.

We played well today, I don't understand why he made no subs with a relatively strong bench.

Because he has the mentality of a small club manager. We are not Wolves where you play 1 game a week and only need a first XI. He has to learn that at any big club you have to use your squad, we had £100m+ of attacking talent on the bench and he refused to use them even at 3-1 up against 10 men. Even when Son started giving every ball away through tiredness.

I will give Nuno some more time because he has quickly moved away from the horrendous hoofball of the Woolwich game towards something more elegant, but he still has a lot to prove. If we’d drawn that game and not used any subs he’d be getting slaughtered.

I think we all know and he does as well he is a stop gap after the mess of actually getting a manager in he was properly the only one left who would take the job with any sort of experience in the league. Surely he was not considered at the beginning he certainly shouldn't have been .Would love to be proven wrong of course .

Because he has the mentality of a small club manager. We are not Wolves where you play 1 game a week and only need a first XI. He has to learn that at any big club you have to use your squad, we had £100m+ of attacking talent on the bench and he refused to use them even at 3-1 up against 10 men. Even when Son started giving every ball away through tiredness.

I will give Nuno some more time because he has quickly moved away from the horrendous hoofball of the Woolwich game towards something more elegant, but he still has a lot to prove. If we’d drawn that game and not used any subs he’d be getting slaughtered.

Some of the best managers in the game haven't made any in game subs before

What an incredibly strange thing to point out especially since we won the match.

We played well today, I don't understand why he made no subs with a relatively strong bench.
I do. There was no need, we were in control. Players were cruising, hardly had to make any defensive sprints so had plenty in the tank. Very different to playing a full 90 against a top side where you are on the limit mentally and physically

He can flip most of them this Thursday. There are a few players I would not involve at all - Royal, Romero, Son and Kane. Give them a few days rest then work them hard midweek ahead of the weekend

I do. There was no need, we were in control. Players were cruising, hardly had to make any defensive sprints so had plenty in the tank. Very different to playing a full 90 against a top side where you are on the limit mentally and physically

He can flip most of them this Thursday. There are a few players I would not involve at all - Royal, Romero, Son and Kane. Give them a few days rest then work them hard midweek ahead of the weekend
You're saying this cause we won, if this ended 3-3 everyone here would be screaming bloody murder. It was obvious by about the 70th minute that we needed some fresh legs, we're just lucky Newcastle are wank.

You're saying this cause we won, if this ended 3-3 everyone here would be screaming bloody murder. It was obvious by about the 70th minute that we needed some fresh legs, we're just lucky Newcastle are wank.
I was cooking so only had one eye on the last 15 but we seemed in control unlike under Jose when we would we retreat and concede possession

Back
Top Bottom