Origin of a cockerel on the badge?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I heard a story today about why there's a cockerel on the Glentoran badge, and never really thought about why there is a cockerel on the Spurs badge. Does anyone know? (I hope this isn't common knowledge cos I'l look a right div - but I've even checked the wiki page)

For those that care, the Glentoran badge has a cockerel on it because Victor Coates, the founder (also 1882) had a ring with a cockerel debossed into it (from the coat of arms of the name Coates) and he used to push it into the wax to seal his post with it.

Thought that was a nice story which was revealed to a longtime fan of the club who never really knew where the cockerel came from.

Wikipedia...

Crest

Since the 1921 FA Cup final the Tottenham Hotspur crest has featured a cockerel. Harry Hotspur (from whom the club is said to have taken its name) wore riding spurs and hisfighting cocks were fitted with spurs which can be seen in the crests. In 1909 a former player named William James Scott made a bronze cast of a cockerel standing on a football to be placed on top of the West Stand and since then the cockerel and ball have been the major part of the club's identity.[13]

Between 1956 and 2006 Spurs used a faux heraldic shield featuring a number of local landmarks and associations. The lions flanking the shield came from the Northumberland family (of which Harry Hotspur was a member). The castle is Bruce Castle, 400 yards from the ground and the trees are the Seven Sisters. The arms featured the Latin mottoAudere Est Facere (to dare is to do).

In 1983, to overcome unauthorised "pirate" merchandising, the club's badge was altered by adding the two red heraldic lions and the motto scroll. This device appeared on most Spurs' playing kits for the next 23 years.

In 2006 to rebrand and modernise the club's image, the club badge and coat of arms were dumped for a professionally designed logo/emblem.[14] This revamp showed a leaner, fitter cockerel on an old-time football. The club claims that the rebranding kept much of the original meaning of the name, but emphasised its originality.[15]

On November 2013, Tottenham forced non-league club Fleet Spurs to change their badge because their logo is too similar to their own cockerel crest.[16]

NBxYaFkJXVkb0-pJUfJ4aROimmyp7vh15QHcbw1zlm1k_kK7P4k2UYW8M57Pt2lTUX7yOM9vK7fogUzN=s320

Where the cricket kids met that fateful afternoon I believe

As if they meant it...:cautious:

I knew how it was formed, why it was named Hotspur etc etc but genuinely never questioned why a cockerel was on the crest. This has been enlightening.

NBxYaFkJXVkb0-pJUfJ4aROimmyp7vh15QHcbw1zlm1k_kK7P4k2UYW8M57Pt2lTUX7yOM9vK7fogUzN=s320

Where the cricket kids met that fateful afternoon I believe

Joking aside they actually met under a lamppost on the corner of the High Road / Park Lane. Or so the story goes anyway.

Pretty amazing that a bunch of 15 year olds from a cricket team met to talk about setting up a football team together and that over 125 years later that team, now one of England's grandest football club's, known the world over, plays it's football just yards from that very spot.

Would love to know exactly where that lamppost stood, would be great as part of the stadium redevelopment plans the club can find out where it was and put some kind of monument there, would be pretty cool I think.

Joking aside they actually met under a lamppost on the corner of the High Road / Park Lane. Or so the story goes anyway.

Pretty amazing that a bunch of 15 year olds from a cricket team met to talk about setting up a football team together and that over 125 years later that team, now one of England's grandest football club's, known the world over, plays it's football just yards from that very spot.

Would love to know exactly where that lamppost stood, would be great as part of the stadium redevelopment plans the club can find out where it was and put some kind of monument there, would be pretty cool I think.
The lampost is across the road from the spurs shop, shown here.

You'll be lucky... they'll probably cordon it off and charge £5 to have your photo taken standing under it!

Back
Top Bottom