Other matches Fred - 2019/2020.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that's the thing, it's not that easy - under pressure - to hit that corner, and be able to alternate and hit both corners and if they are the type of taker that can do that every time, they aren't the type of pens you are going to save anyway, even if you dive right.

I'm just really surprised after all these years no keeper and his coaching team have come up with an alternative plan to "just pick a side and dive".
But if you come up against a keeper that's going to remain central, even I am going to pick out a corner and it doesn't even have to be in the hard to execute zone of an inch or so in from the woodwork. If he's not diving to a corner he's heavily weighted my chance of scoring in my favour and I can afford to be a foot or two extra margins. Just knowing this as a pen taker removes the doubt that might have existed if you didn't know what the 'keeper was going to do and a confident pen taker I assume is more relaxed and able to perform his role of kicking the ball more accurately and is a marginal gain in its self???

But if you come up against a keeper that's going to remain central, even I am going to pick out a corner and it doesn't even have to be in the hard to execute zone of an inch or so in from the woodwork. If he's not diving to a corner he's heavily weighted my chance of scoring in my favour and I can afford to be a foot or two extra margins. Just knowing this as a pen taker removes the doubt that might have existed if you didn't know what the 'keeper was going to do and a confident pen taker I assume is more relaxed and able to perform his role of kicking the ball more accurately and is a marginal gain in its self???

But it's much easier to say "I'll hit a corner" than actually do it, time after time - when the pressure's on. And like I said, if you are good enough to hit corners every time, the keeper's not getting it anyway. Penalty X/G is about 0.8, so whatever keeper's are doing now, isn't particularly effective. You could even mix it up as a keeper, for the penalty takers you know are corner hitters, go with the guess and early dive, for all the others just wait and try to react.

But it's much easier to say "I'll hit a corner" than actually do it, time after time - when the pressure's on. And like I said, if you are good enough to hit corners every time, the keeper's not getting it anyway. Penalty X/G is about 0.8, so whatever keeper's are doing now, isn't particularly effective. You could even mix it up as a keeper, for the penalty takers you know are corner hitters, go with the guess and early dive, for all the others just wait and try to react.
But you don't have to hit those corners if the 'keeper isn't diving towards them, you can afford to be a foot or two inside now. By not diving he's just made the chance % increase in takers favour because you no longer have to be as accurate. Also, all four corners are free to aim at as opposed to having a 3 in 4, the % of the taker has increased by 12% + a few more % points by increasing the margin of error in each of the corners (as he's not diving) + the unmeasurable element of confidence.

Put it this way, would you rather take a pen in the last min of a World Cup final to win your country the World Cup knowing that the 'keeper is going to stay central or not knowing?

But you don't have to hit those corners if the 'keeper isn't diving towards them, you can afford to be a foot or two inside now. By not diving he's just made the chance % increase in takers favour because you no longer have to be as accurate. Also, all four corners are free to aim at as opposed to having a 3 in 4, the % of the taker has increased by 12% + a few more % points by increasing the margin of error in each of the corners (as he's not diving) + the unmeasurable element of confidence.

Put it this way, would you rather take a pen in the last min of a World Cup final to win your country the World Cup knowing that the 'keeper is going to stay central or not knowing?
Absolutely clueless...

ss.png

Last edited:
I hope Sevilla knock seven shades of shite out of Wolves. I am 77 mins into their game against Olympiacos, and I think they ought to be ashamed of themselves for playing like that.

Terrible error by their keeper for the goal, then a bunch of poor finishing and decision making and one of those excruciatingly tight offside calls done for them. But that's pretty much how we managed to make it past them into the knockouts.

So what kind of player is Mady Camara. I never figured it out. A B2B or more of a ball winning player?
I am having serious trouble working out their system! It seems to be a 4-3-3 with a good bit of rotating of positions, and Camara operating in a B2B role. I noticed Valbuena and Camara switching positions during one of their attempts to build play, for example. Their defensive shape might be 4-4-2 when pressing higher, with Camara operating alongside their striker. He smacked the ball out of play twice in the first 10 mins (which I did not like), but he seems to be full of intensity. They began the game with great intentions, but were shooting themselves in the foot with the weight of their passes at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom