Other matches Fred - 2020/21

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Posted this in the wrong thread so moving it over here:

Its too bad that there are so many other bad teams so Brighton will again get saved, not by their quality but by the lack of quality of others.

What a weird opinion, Potter has Brighton playing great football.

They are currently in 16th with 4 points in 5 games including getting a lucky point today, in what world is that great football?

Potter gets so much credit for doing nothing and getting bad results which is why it would be good to see him and Brighton go down.

They are currently in 16th with 4 points in 5 games including getting a lucky point today, in what world is that great football?

Potter gets so much credit for doing nothing and getting bad results which is why it would be good to see him and Brighton go down.
Well, one of their losses was against United where they were legitimately robbed of points. They're actually 5th in the xG table as well.

They're playing good possession football, just lack finishing talent up top as bus-conductor bus-conductor mentioned.

Well, one of their losses was against United where they were legitimately robbed of points. They're actually 5th in the xG table as well.

They're playing good possession football, just lack finishing talent up top as bus-conductor bus-conductor mentioned.

Kind of shows how useless xG is doesn't it?

Last year we heard about how unlucky they were from their apologists as well. You would think after such long history of poor results the luck argument would get tired and people would actually see that it is just bad play but as always Brighton and Potter get the benefit of the doubt because they supposed try to "play football."

Theyve played Chelsea, Man Utd and Everton in 3 of their first 5 games.

Theyve played Chelsea, Man Utd and Everton in 3 of their first 5 games.

Last year they played the same schedule as everyone else and were 15th.

What excuse was them for that last year?

Today they played Palace and needed a lucky deflection to score, are Palace now some powerhouse that gives them an excuse for once again not being able to get a decent result?

Lucky how? Palaces penalty was soft as fuck and then they didnt have another shot.

Brighton may lack quality in front of goal but they are playing well.

As opposed to the scintillating football Burnley and Palace play every year?

Really strange opinion.

Potter is getting some credit because you can see he's actually coaching something other than a bus park, which is about the easiest thing in football to coach. And, from what I have seen so far, he's not just coaching lax, gunging ho nonsense, or high risk, low compatibility football (like Hasenhuttl, who has a much better squad) he's coaching a very solid brand of proactive, possession based football, whilst also generally managing to coach decent defensive structure too.

As opposed to the scintillating football Burnley and Palace play every year?

Really strange opinion.

Potter is getting some credit because you can see he's actually coaching something other than a bus park, which is about the easiest thing in football to coach. And, from what I have seen so far, he's not just coaching lax, gunging ho nonsense, or high risk, low compatibility football (like Hasenhuttl, who has a much better squad) he's coaching a very solid brand of proactive, possession based football, whilst also generally managing to coach decent defensive structure too.

I am fine with Burnley going down as well.

Potter gets credit because people like the idea of what he is doing but he constantly shows that he can't translate that into results on the field. It is "great" that he is supposedly coaching this "progressive" possession based football, but when all it does is bring losses and bottom 5 finishes who cares?

People like throwing around the term progressive as though it automatically means what someone is doing is good without often looking at what is actually happening.

I am fine with Burnley going down as well.

Potter gets credit because people like the idea of what he is doing but he constantly shows that he can't translate that into results on the field. It is "great" that he is supposedly coaching this "progressive" possession based football, but when all it does is bring losses and bottom 5 finishes who cares?

People like throwing around the term progressive as though it automatically means what someone is doing is good without often looking at what is actually happening.

OK, I'm not going to speak for anyone else, he gets credit from me because I can see evidence of something being coached for a start, he gets more credit from me because it's not just a desire to "attack" or play vertically, without any regard for defensive transition or structure, he's seems to one coaching both from my perception. And that is actually supported by things like their XG and XGA which Brighton are in the top 6 in the PL for both, which suggests it's more individual quality and bad luck that is costing them than their tactical approach which seems to be producing the right metrics. Their XGA is much better than Palace's, suggesting they are defending better than they are, despite playing much more of a proactive type of football. That's why he's getting credit from me.

All you seem to be seeing is "goals" and "results" and assuming that them parking a bus would be a better guarantee of what, results ? Why ? He did better than Hughton did the previous season parking a bus, in all aspects.

OK, I'm not going to speak for anyone else, he gets credit from me because I can see evidence of something being coached for a start, he gets more credit from me because it's not just a desire to "attack" or play vertically, without any regard for defensive transition or structure, he's seems to one coaching both from my perception. And that is actually supported by things like their XG and XGA which Brighton are in the top 6 in the PL for both, which suggests it's more individual quality and bad luck that is costing them than their tactical approach which seems to be producing the right metrics. Their XGA is much better than Palace's, suggesting they are defending better than they are, despite playing much more of a proactive type of football. That's why he's getting credit from me.

All you seem to be seeing is "goals" and "results" and assuming that them parking a bus would be a better guarantee of what, results ? Why ? He did better than Hughton did the previous season parking a bus?

I don't think he should park the bus, he didn't really do much better at all than Hughton, just like he didn't do any better than the guy before him or after him at Swansea. Its not only about goals and results I have seen them play and they are not impressive. Take today for instance they did not look threatening at all.

XG is a pretty useless stat so for them to be up there and getting zero results shows more about how useless the stat is versus them actually being good.

He does very little defensively not sure where you are getting that from. They certainly do not look impressive in that regard.

I think Potter as Brighton manger finishing bottom 5 year after year is fine, That is his level that is what his poor tactics and managing get you. The issue I have is the talk about Brighton and Potter being anything more than relegation battle level team/manager.

People keep overrating both because they throw the term progressive out there and for many just using the term means that you are doing something better regardless of what is actually the case.

Last year they played the same schedule as everyone else and were 15th.

What excuse was them for that last year?

Today they played Palace and needed a lucky deflection to score, are Palace now some powerhouse that gives them an excuse for once again not being able to get a decent result?

They are Brighton, what do you expect. Staying in the PL is as good as they can hope for

Villa and Leicester about to draw

Can’t believe we also dropped 2 points in a weekend virtually all our rivals did

Back
Top Bottom