Other matches Fred - 2020/21

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦
Clear penalty missed by referee, that could/should have been absolutely massive for Fulham. OK so Lookman wanked it, but that is the whole point of VAR, football decided by football, not by a referee's blunder. Everyone talking about Lookman's shit penenka, not the ref's shit decision which could have cost Fulham a massive point.

Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦
Clear penalty missed by referee, that could/should have been absolutely massive for Fulham. OK so Lookman wanked it, but that is the whole point of VAR, football decided by football, not by a referee's blunder. Everyone talking about Lookman's shit penenka, not the ref's shit decision which could have cost Fulham a massive point.
I guess absolutely no one ever talks about VAR being shit, like never, like all the VAR calls are right, agreed with, this never happens. VAR is bang on every game, every week?

Today’s wasn’t though, that’s just controversy hunters like you continuing to whine and find controversy. The lines and geometry showed why it was given, you’re just choosing to not like that because it doesn’t suit your agenda. They could just call it and not show you the lines/geometry but then you’d find controversy in that. And if there was no VAR and the linesman called that you’d be whining about that controversy.

Here’s an idea. Stop whing and looking for controversy where there is none, you’re just reinforcing the need for VAR.
Fans will ALLWAYS rail against a call, be that live, bet that watching TV, be that a correct decision, wrong decision, with or without VAR. This is the role of the fan. These are the varying opinions, interpretations of the law, it's not black and white before VAR, it's not black and with VAR.

I'm not hunting controversy, that's the point, I don't give a toss about the decision given, (not my team). For my team I whinge even if I know the ref made the right call BECAUSE I'm a fan BECAUSE I feel I can make a difference by making the atmosphere hostile, this is home advantage.

I do hate how they are now made with VAR, the stopping of the game, the law changes, the micro analysing, followed by all this with an inconclusive decision at the end of it. It's fucking shit and this is when it's on TV when there is more information available than those attending live.

I guess absolutely no one ever talks about VAR being shit, like never, like all the VAR calls are right, agreed with, this never happens. VAR is bang on every game, every week?

No, of course not, because for one, VAR isn't unilaterally deciding anything except offside's, but at least now VAR has made incorrect offside goals and disallowed goals that should be goals almost non existent.

And because VAR isn't and never will be a perfect solution for bad rules still being applied, or the unwillingness of referees (in the PL anyway) to be seen to be corrected.

But at least now they are starting to use it to correct some of the big moments off games, like us not getting to a CL final because of an incorrect offside call, or Fulham not getting their rightful shot at a last minute penalty chance to save the game. Or making the ref look at what should have been a foul on Hojbjerg last week when Brighton scored a game equalising goal. Of course it's no perfect, it's a process, and it's very early in that process. But it's an improvement on games constantly being decided not by football, but by bad refereeing and then us having to listen to the media, pundits and fans like you drone on about nothing but refereeing.

The VAR technology is not the issue, silly rules and inept refs are. The same dumb refs that are officiating on the pitch are using the VAR technology to make decisions. So of course they'll get plenty wrong. At least with VAR, there's hope it'll improve. The 2018 World Cup was a breath of fresh air with VAR getting so many good calls. In Colombia vs Senegal, Sanchez made a King-esque tackle on Mane but was penalised with a penalty. VAR gave the ref to correct his mistake and he did. That was a perfect use of VAR.

And blaming VAR for offsides/handball are just dumb. The laws state that if any part of your body which can be used to score a goal is offside, then you're offiside. The Mane one couple of weeks back and the Leeds one last night were both 'correctly' ruled out according to the law as players can now score goals legally with the upper part of their arm. If people have a problem with those decisions then they should blame the laws, not VAR.

IFAB should look to amend the laws though. The recent change in the handball law has been shite and the offside rule could also be simplified by drawing lines from just the feet of players and ignoring rest of the body.

No, of course not, because for one, VAR isn't unilaterally deciding anything except offside's, but at least now VAR has made incorrect offside goals and disallowed goals that should be goals almost non existent.

And because VAR isn't and never will be a perfect solution for bad rules still being applied, or the unwillingness of referees (in the PL anyway) to be seen to be corrected.

But at least now they are starting to use it to correct some of the big moments off games, like us not getting to a CL final because of an incorrect offside call, or Fulham not getting their rightful shot at a last minute penalty chance to save the game. Or making the ref look at what should have been a foul on Hojbjerg last week when Brighton scored a game equalising goal. Of course it's no perfect, it's a process, and it's very early in that process. But it's an improvement on games constantly being decided not by football, but by bad refereeing and then us having to listen to the media, pundits and fans like you drone on about nothing but refereeing.
The foul on PEH!!! Oh yeah, thats the advert for VAR in full flow, that was worth it, that showed us why it should be with us. Exactly the same when he was found vs Newcastle which but they gave the fouk to Newcastle instead from which they scored.

Llorente’s handball goal, the perfect example of how great it is. The Danny Rose handball in the first leg for the pen.
Only yesterday the pen not given to Utd when Magire fouled by Pickford in the box, then not long after a Utd player taking out an Everton player but pen not given. Bruno not getting sent off.

For every one you cite as a reason to show why we should have it I’ll find you more examples why we should not. That's before we even get onto the facts of how the laws are being rewritten as a direct result of VAR, which include drawing a line on your arm for offsides, none-deliberate handballs are now seen as pens and if the attacker is pushed in the back that caused a none-deliberate handball then why not give a penalty anyway.

If an attacker is fouled which causes him to fall over, then have the ball kicked at him whilst lying on the ground which touches his shoulder, but his team still score from the loose ball but it's dissaloud for the none-deliberate handball and free kick given to the team that fouled him!!!

Yeah, thank God for VAR, without it none of these and many, many, many, many more every week wouldn't be given. It's saving the game. Do me a favour, it's a sham, it does do what it was brought in to do, it's not working and it's making the laws of the game a farse. It's shite.

The foul on PEH!!! Oh yeah, thats the advert for VAR in full flow, that was worth it, that showed us why it should be with us. Exactly the same when he was found vs Newcastle which but they gave the fouk to Newcastle instead from which they scored.

Llorente’s handball goal, the perfect example of how great it is. The Danny Rose handball in the first leg for the pen.
Only yesterday the pen not given to Utd when Magire fouled by Pickford in the box, then not long after a Utd player taking out an Everton player but pen not given. Bruno not getting sent off.

For every one you cite as a reason to show why we should have it I’ll find you more examples why we should not. That's before we even get onto the facts of how the laws are being rewritten as a direct result of VAR, which include drawing a line on your arm for offsides, none-deliberate handballs are now seen as pens and if the attacker is pushed in the back that caused a none-deliberate handball then why not give a penalty anyway.

If an attacker is fouled which causes him to fall over, then have the ball kicked at him whilst lying on the ground which touches his shoulder, but his team still score from the loose ball but it's dissaloud for the none-deliberate handball and free kick given to the team that fouled him!!!

Yeah, thank God for VAR, without it none of these and many, many, many, many more every week wouldn't be given. It's saving the game. Do me a favour, it's a sham, it does do what it was brought in to do, it's not working and it's making the laws of the game a farse. It's shite.
The system works fine, the people using it unfortunately don't. PEH's foul was clear for everyone in the World to see except the ref. You cannot advocate for that although in fairness the VAR panel should have simply overruled the arsehole and not tried to give him an escape route by telling him to review it.

Back
Top Bottom