Other matches Fred - 2020/21

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The system works fine, the people using it unfortunately don't. PEH's foul was clear for everyone in the World to see except the ref. You cannot advocate for that although in fairness the VAR panel should have simply overruled the arsehole and not tried to give him an escape route by telling him to review it.
So you are confirming that VAR is unworkable though as it is run, administered and used by the same people. VAR is nothing than a TV screen showing replays of an incident, they are refs and lino's, they all work on rotation.

It would be a "better" sell to the viewers if the matchday officials at the game used a pitchside monitor if they weren't sure and looked for clarification, maybe call in one or both of the lino's present for their input, but just like PEH's foul I'm not so sure. But rather questioning and throwing into doubt the ref's decision, empower him so there's no potential loss of face, he can use it for his own validation. (Still think this will be shit and slow it all down).

So you are confirming that VAR is unworkable though as it is run, administered and used by the same people. VAR is nothing than a TV screen showing replays of an incident, they are refs and lino's, they all work on rotation.

It would be a "better" sell to the viewers if the matchday officials at the game used a pitchside monitor if they weren't sure and looked for clarification, maybe call in one or both of the lino's present for their input, but just like PEH's foul I'm not so sure. But rather questioning and throwing into doubt the ref's decision, empower him so there's no potential loss of face, he can use it for his own validation. (Still think this will be shit and slow it all down).
In its present state it is not working but the bit that needs to change is the human involvement. The people making the decisions via the monitor definitely need to be better trained possibly using simulated or actual incidents footage until they achieve a required percentage pass level. This being checked at least twice a year.

In its present state it is not working but the bit that needs to change is the human involvement. The people making the decisions via the monitor definitely need to be better trained possibly using simulated or actual incidents footage until they achieve a required percentage pass level. This being checked at least twice a year.
But most of the decisions are subjective anyway as they require an interpretation of the laws. There isn't nor has there been a black or white criteria.

But most of the decisions are subjective anyway as they require an interpretation of the laws. There isn't nor has there been a black or white criteria.
I agree but I do think there's massive room for improvement in training these people. I have no idea how they qualify to do the job at the moment but it's obviously not working and needs investigation.

I agree but I do think there's massive room for improvement in training these people. I have no idea how they qualify to do the job at the moment but it's obviously not working and needs working on.
But again that's based on the assumption that you think for example PEH was fouled but the ref's interpretation was that it wasn't. There is no end to it, nothing changes there will always be contention, VAR doesn't change this.

But again that's based on the assumption that you think for example PEH was fouled but the ref's interpretation was that it wasn't. There is no end to it, nothing changes there will always be contention, VAR doesn't change this.
With PEH incident the VAR system failed because the panel obviously gave the ref a chance to 'save face' which he declined to do. They should have just overruled him.
But I agree totally, it's just not working.

They have to do something about the handball rule.

I know it is a penalty by the laws but no way should that be a penalty.

Back
Top Bottom