Other matches Fred - 2020/21

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fucking unbelievable, even if you can twist it that negro is a general term. You don't refer to a person as "this black".
No idea how Romanian works but it's a Latin language so there's every chance that it's similar to Spanish here.

In Spanish, el negro doesn't mean "the black" but "the black man", just as la negra means "the black woman", el blanco "the white man" and so on.

In and of itself, and unless there's some other context, it isn't racist in the slightest

I dunno man, I'm not black so I can't speak on their behalf, but I dare say that it isn't the best idea to distinguish someone by skin colour, especially in a professional setting, when there are multitudes of other options available to him. I mean the assistant could have just referred to him as "this guy over here" and pointed at the bloke and it would have been an infinitely better option. Absolutely no need to bring his race into it in my opinion.

He has a name if the 4th official reffered to me as "ginger" id think cheeky fuck. Its a professional situation not a day out day down the pub.

Sure it may be the wrong approach and likely something that should be dealt with but I think it is a far cry from using a blatant racist term.

This seems to be more of an issue of a dumb (potentially from a racist place) statement rather than an obvious racist statement.

No idea how Romanian works but it's a Latin language so there's every chance that it's similar to Spanish here.

In Spanish, el negro doesn't mean "the black" but "the black man", just as la negra means "the black woman", el blanco "the white man" and so on.

In and of itself, and unless there's some other context, it isn't racist in the slightest

Of course - but the connotations in the world of 'negro' being an offensive word surely means you just don't use it in a professional sense on the European stage where a mix of nationalities, beliefs and languages are involved?

I don't think the 4th official is a racist - but things like this with players walking off should hopefully be a learning curve for him as a human on what is right and wrong to do in a situation he was involved in.

So he referred to Webo as 'negru' which is 'black' in Romanian ... he could have just pointed at the person. It's not normally culturally or socially appropriate to refer to anyone directly by their skin colour in passing reference (ie. that white guy, that brown guy etc) but I suppose it's probably the norm in certain countries like perhaps in Romania.. so it seems like a bit of a cultural insensitivity which has resulted in a pretty ginormous misunderstanding.
SJW victims live to be offended by shit like this - they will go to town on this - much like when Chavs accused Clattenberg of abusing Mikel

If only players had something like numbers on there shirt so refs could easily identify them :mourcheeks:

I am not sure if you are watching or not but Demba Ba was a sub in a totally covered up so I am not sure that there is a number for him to see to identify him.

Edit:

I went back to watch and there is a small 19 visible on his pants so perhaps the official could have seen that and used it.

I am not sure if you are watching or not but Demba Ba was a sub in a totally covered up so I am not sure that there is a number for him to see to identify him.

Edit:

I went back to watch and there is a small 19 visible on his pants so perhaps the official could have seen that and used it.

Tbh I think it was just a joke.

Let's be honest I here, if an official referred to Son as 'the Korean' or 'that Asian player' a lot of us would be up in arms about it.

This 4th ref was bang out of line.

Edit:

I don't think it was Ba that got sent off, it was an assistant coach. A bit harder to identify but no excuse for the official to use the word he did.

Of course - but the connotations in the world of 'negro' being an offensive word surely means you just don't use it in a professional sense on the European stage where a mix of nationalities, beliefs and languages are involved?

I don't think the 4th official is a racist - but things like this with players walking off should hopefully be a learning curve for him as a human on what is right and wrong to do in a situation he was involved in.
Sorry mate but that's daft. Other languages should change their vocabulary because thousands of miles away a derived word became a racist term?

The other night the wife and I were watching TV, I made a comment about one of the two main characters. She wasn't sure who I was talking about, ¿El blanco? she asked, No, el negro I replied. There's no other way to say it, unless you want to ask "The caucasian?" and reply "No, the person of colour". But that's not how people talk

For all we know the 4th official was distinguishing between two players, just as I was

Tbh I think it was just a joke.

Let's be honest I here, if an official referred to Son as 'the Korean' or 'that Asian player' a lot of us would be up in arms about it.

This 4th ref was bang out of line.

If he was in a group in which he was the only Asian and there was a good reason to think he didn't know his actual name I wouldn't be that up in arms about it. I would acknowledge there are better ways to deal with it and that he will catch shit in todays climate, but I am not sure I would automatically think he was a racist.

Who was he racist towards then?

I have gone back to watch it and it is tough to follow but that is who I assumed he was racist towards.
He wasn’t being racist towards anyone - just made a factual comment about someone skin colour in his mother tongue

Back
Top Bottom