Other Matches Fred 2023/24

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I see Brighton have fallen off the cliff after a good season last year.

Always wondered how Brighton would grow. De Zerbi took over a great side that Potter had got playing good football, it normally take 2 seasons before you truly see how the manager is and De Zerbi is clearly decent but I am not sure a great manager. The football they have played this season isn’t as good as Potter’s or the first season under De Zerbi.

Always wondered how Brighton would grow. De Zerbi took over a great side that Potter had got playing good football, it normally take 2 seasons before you truly see how the manager is and De Zerbi is clearly decent but I am not sure a great manager. The football they have played this season isn’t as good as Potter’s or the first season under De Zerbi.
Yeah I agree, it's a funny one. Whilst Brighton have clearly improved as a football club over the years, the transfer strategy probably hasn't been the best. Whilst they do buy some good young players, it's a massive gamble relying on them being able to take them to the next level which De Zerbi seems to keep banging on about.

Off the top of my head with two sales alone they have raised £160m (Caicedo & Cucurella), I don't think that money has really been invested well enough.

Not surprised by the Brighton fall off tbh.

Played alot of minutes this season with European football, had numerous injuries and squad depth is ridiculously weak.

I also think de Zerbi has likely took his eye off the ball with all the speculation over his next role.

Genuinely wouldn't surprise me if De Zerbi left in the summer and they managed to get Potter back in.

Selling your best players? I thought that didn't count when it came to Ange, silly me.

Ange lost *one* player. A brilliant player but one. Not one who was crucial to his style or who he'd had the season before either.

De Zerbi lost 2/3 of his midfield, his goalkeeper, and a centre-back. They also have the 6th lowest wage bill in the league so dealing with the injuries they've had this season WITH Europe hasn't helped him at all. To help with this conundrum, the board gave him ... minus 90 million pounds to spend in the summer.

It isn't a similar situation at all, and you know it. Although to be fair, yes De Zerbi is an extremely overrated hipsters choice who benefitted from a well run team with low expectations who suited his style..

Ange lost *one* player. A brilliant player but one. Not one who was crucial to his style or who he'd had the season before either.

De Zerbi lost 2/3 of his midfield, his goalkeeper, and a centre-back. They also have the 6th lowest wage bill in the league so dealing with the injuries they've had this season WITH Europe hasn't helped him at all. To help with this conundrum, the board gave him ... minus 90 million pounds to spend in the summer.

It isn't a similar situation at all, and you know it. Although to be fair, yes De Zerbi is an extremely overrated hipsters choice who benefitted from a well run team with low expectations who suited his style..

I'm not comparing the circumstances, I'm comparing the media narratives.

Your last paragraph just summed it up.

If De Zerbi was our coach and we'd be in this situation now the narrative would be overwhelmingly positive.

Not surprised by the Brighton fall off tbh.

Played alot of minutes this season with European football, had numerous injuries and squad depth is ridiculously weak.

I also think de Zerbi has likely took his eye off the ball with all the speculation over his next role.

Genuinely wouldn't surprise me if De Zerbi left in the summer and they managed to get Potter back in.

I think he will leave and their rise and praise will end fairly soon. It always happens to these clubs, remember Southampton under Poch for one. The media get all giddy and then when the model of signing unknowns and selling them on for huge sums ends (because those clubs then end up copying them or the level of those players runs out) it always goes the same way. They get pillaged of their staff and players in the end and just cant go any way but back down.

I'd still be keen for us to have a look at Mitoma to help facilitate that. After a poor season he should be a bit cheaper, but he's still quality.

Or because he sold his two best players last summer and now relies on 50 year old James Milner?

Why though?

..................They're rolling in actual cash profit.

Their owners aren't "thieves"that only concern themselves with "scouting bargains" and "re-sale" value are they?

.................Haven't they heard the "spend and the stars shall come" mantra?

Back
Top Bottom