Other Matches Fred 2023/24

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

At various times this season, United, us, traitor boy's team (Chelsea), Liverpool to an extent and Newcastle have had some shockers.

Last night right up with the worst. Ten Hag gone in the sunmer. No doubt.

Said it for a long time, the Premier League is so average. A lot of good players being paid infinitely more than their talent deserves.

Of that group above and the squads, I honestly think there are maybe a dozen players of which I would include Jackson, Madueke Isak, Guimares, Hjojlund Romero to an extent, and 4 or 5 more who have an argument for being able to go elsewhere and thrive. I have maybe left out others with promise or me not seeing what I think a player needs, but a high majority can only deliver in well drilled teams.

Nothing but nothing beats a consistent deliverer of quality.

It's why we will just cling on to 5th this season..

It would be criminal if Southgate took someone like Mainoo over Wharton. And would show big club bias. Was obvious if Mainoo played for someone like Wolves, he wouldn't get a sniff.

Not only is Wharton a better football with alot more experience, he actually plays a position that England need depth in.

I agree. I do think Mainoo has talent and a big future, if United get their act together. But Rice and Wharton together would give great balance in midfield, I think Southgate will go with Gallagher and Rice though. Gallagher has come into some good form just at the right time and is basically Jordan Henderson, who was a Southgate favourite, but with goals in his game.

I agree. I do think Mainoo has talent and a big future, if United get their act together. But Rice and Wharton together would give great balance in midfield, I think Southgate will go with Gallagher and Rice though. Gallagher has come into some good form just at the right time and is basically Jordan Henderson, who was a Southgate favourite, but with goals in his game.

Very happy to see Wharton comes through. A profile of a player England haven’t had for ages, an actual ball playing 6 with defensive skills. You can say a bit early but reality is he has no competition for that role. Rice isn’t a 6, his passing isn’t good enough, Mainoo is also an 8.

I guess Southgate will go Rice and Mainoo but that isn’t balanced, certainly not against elite sides.

Very happy to see Wharton comes through. A profile of a player England haven’t had for ages, an actual ball playing 6 with defensive skills. You can say a bit early but reality is he has no competition for that role. Rice isn’t a 6, his passing isn’t good enough, Mainoo is also an 8.

I guess Southgate will go Rice and Mainoo but that isn’t balanced, certainly not against elite sides.

I don't think he will start Mainoo. He's not been in good form the last few weeks, despite him doing well for England in the last friendly. I do feel for the lad though, United will make any talent look quite shit at times. Should be on the plane though. If you're going to take four central midfielders you would think they will be Rice, Gallagher, Henderson and Mainoo. He will take Henderson if he's fit just for the impact he has in the dressing room alone, and will probably bring him on to see games out. Southgate's gonna Southgate. Would love for it to be Wharton though but think he won't get capped until after the Euros.

Yeah Palace have a good thing going on there. London club, good football and a place where young players can go and get game time in the top league before being sold on to bigger and better clubs if they perform.

Helps that they are just sort of "there" - never really in danger of relegation, never pushing further than where they are. Expectations are where the fans probably expect so there's a sort of freedom there.

Wouldnt surprise me if they sold Olise in the summer and brought in that Philogene or Whittaker from the Championship and kept they conveyor belt rolling.
CP have Jesurun Rak-Sakyi coming back from injury and he was pure class in the recent THFC-CP U21 game. Scored a hat-trick IIRC.

GM_hpKcWcAAg8Ek

v

GM_oKSnX0AAT3dG

He's in the 92nd percentile for progressive passes with a very high pass completion rate. Rice's passing range (long and short) is excellent, the only thing he struggles with is games which become congested because he prefers carrying the ball out and blood & thunder to a more controlled, calm style of play.

He's in the 92nd percentile for progressive passes with a very high pass completion rate. Rice's passing range (long and short) is excellent, the only thing he struggles with is games which become congested because he prefers carrying the ball out and blood & thunder to a more controlled, calm style of play.

It’s not about simply pass competition it’s about ability to dictate, to control the tempo. There was a great analysis video early in the season of Rice when he did play deep for Arse and he struggled to play the right ball and it affected Arse’s play, Partey and Jorginho are much more suited to that role than Rice. Rice is a fantastic box to box leader. Rice might be a 6 or cover that role at West Ham but a more expansive team it does him no favours to be there. Wharton looks an absolute natural in that role.

It’s not about simply pass competition it’s about ability to dictate, to control the tempo. There was a great analysis video early in the season of Rice when he did play deep for Arse and he struggled to play the right ball and it affected Arse’s play, Partey and Jorginho are much more suited to that role than Rice. Rice is a fantastic box to box leader. Rice might be a 6 or cover that role at West Ham but a more expansive team it does him no favours to be there. Wharton looks an absolute natural in that role.

That's nothing to do with passing though. I agree he's not a controller because that's not what he wants to be, he wants to be carrying the ball up the pitch and chasing people round. That's why he suits box to box more.

Passing wise Rice is very good, he has range. He just isn't really suited to the 6 style, he had the same issue at West Ham where in his final season he wanted to do a lot more than the DM role.

For what its worth I rate Wharton very, very highly but Southgate won't put him in because he hasn't had time to get used to the squad ... Southgate isn't a wild-card, disrupt the group type of manager.

That's nothing to do with passing though. I agree he's not a controller because that's not what he wants to be, he wants to be carrying the ball up the pitch and chasing people round. That's why he suits box to box more.

Passing wise Rice is very good, he has range. He just isn't really suited to the 6 style, he had the same issue at West Ham where in his final season he wanted to do a lot more than the DM role.

For what its worth I rate Wharton very, very highly but Southgate won't put him in because he hasn't had time to get used to the squad ... Southgate isn't a wild-card, disrupt the group type of manager.

Mainoo was used so maybe just maybe. I hope Southgate see’s sense as England have had that obvious weakness since really Michael Carrick. Wharton obviously isn’t that level but that lack of a player of that type has limited England tactically for ages. A deep lying controller/playmaker with defensive skills, I would hope we take a risk just because we have nobody else.

I love that Hummels scored that, I thought his legs were gone many years ago but here he is scoring in CL semi final that edges his side closer to the final.

I remember him applauding us Spurs fans when we played them in Germany under Poch -class

Back
Top Bottom