Other Team Transfers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well after a bit of youtube scouting I think Brighton have discovered another gem.......young and raw but there is potential there. Bit like our own Mousa Dembele imo

So Chelsea have spent what, 900 million since Boehly and his consortium took over?

When does it end? How are they expecting to stay within FFP?

Apparently there is one (and to be fair for £35m he would be an excellent signing for many teams)

Aaron Paul He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF by Breaking Bad

So here’s the bit I don’t understand (not an accountant in any way shape or form).

If you can ‘amortise’ (if that’s a verb) the value of a contract for any given year, and essentially divide your expenditure by the length of the contract, why do you also get to benefit from the full value of a sale immediately?

So, you have 100 million pound player on a ten year contract and can say ‘I’ve only spent 10 million this year’. Fine.

But for Havertz by way of example, they’re claiming the full value of his sale immediately to the tune of 65 million. Shouldn’t the same principle apply; they only get the annual value of that sale, being whatever Woolwich give them this calendar year?

So here’s the bit I don’t understand (not an accountant in any way shape or form).

If you can ‘amortise’ (if that’s a verb) the value of a contract for any given year, and essentially divide your expenditure by the length of the contract, why do you also get to benefit from the full value of a sale immediately?

So, you have 100 million pound player on a ten year contract and can say ‘I’ve only spent 10 million this year’. Fine.

But for Havertz by way of example, they’re claiming the full value of his sale immediately to the tune of 65 million. Shouldn’t the same principle apply; they only get the annual value of that sale, being whatever Woolwich give them this calendar year?
You amortise the cost of an asset over it's lifetime. When they get rid of an asset (havertz) they don't have it anymore the value is realised. If he has 30m amortized left it's fee minus amortized 65m-30m=35m is added to the books.

It's why selling kids /free transfers is good for your ffp as the fee all revenue no need to take amortized cost off.

Chelsea are banking on ffp going away or Saudis always buying their players otherwise they are kicking the issues on a few years only

They're not quite taking the full amount Havertz. They did on Mount though, because he was academy, and had a value of zero on their balance sheet.

Basically you/they can only benefit from the amount not "amortised away" yet. In your example, 100m over 10 years. If they sell said player again after 1 year for 100m, they have amortised 10m, and are now selling a 90m asset (as far as, in their books) for 100m, so their benefit is 10m. Sell him for 100m after five years they benefit 50m, because they've amortised the other 50m.

Back
Top Bottom