Other Team Transfers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Really strange one this. before this summer and ManC showing interest in him, nobody really had him as an "elite" club type signing at this stage. Especially not Europe's best club. he's a lively fucker for sure and has some ability, he does make things happen, can cause some mayhem, but is a bit erratic and still a bit raw. I mean he's only 21, so there is big potential there, but I would have thought his next move would have been a second tier club.
Pep believes in his coaching, staff and set-up to get the best out of him.

Doku will be fantastic soon enough

Without a shadow of a doubt this Saudi league is the biggest threat the Prem has faced in terms of being the dominant league.

It’s gonna make it even harder for Spurs to get and keep top players with a whole load of new free spending billionaires.

Without a shadow of a doubt this Saudi league is the biggest threat the Prem has faced in terms of being the dominant league.

It’s gonna make it even harder for Spurs to get and keep top players with a whole load of new free spending billionaires.
At present, I'd say that you can make the argument that if a player has gone there then they aren't a top player, for whatever reason, be it ability, mentality, age...

Obviously there will be exceptions but I think that applies to the majority, eg:

Benzema, Ronaldo, Henderson - old as fuck
Kante, Koulibaly - Past their best
Neves, Veiga - Mentality, chosen money over glory
Jota, Mendy - OK but nothing special
Neymar - Cunt

I'd honestly say that there's not a single player that has gone to Saudi this summer that I'd have wanted at Spurs, and yes the argument against Neves/Veiga might well be slightly weaker than the rest listed, but I do think it's relevant, if they're happy to go over there just for the sake of some extra money then they're probably not the right fit for what we need.

However, this Saudi project is still in it's infancy, phase one was to attract the older, near retirement aged players and draw attention to the League, once they had done that with the likes of Ronaldo then the next step was to normalise players moving over there with mid-range signings, and they've successfully done that this summer, probably to a higher level than anyone would have expected.

With that accomplished, the only way I can see it not growing and growing is if whoever is pumping the money in loses interest and withdraws their funding.

I think it will become a real problem for the historically top leagues, and probably will lead to some kind of joint venture or Super League before too long.

At present, I'd say that you can make the argument that if a player has gone there then they aren't a top player, for whatever reason, be it ability, mentality, age...

Obviously there will be exceptions but I think that applies to the majority, eg:

Benzema, Ronaldo, Henderson - old as fuck
Kante, Koulibaly - Past their best
Neves, Veiga - Mentality, chosen money over glory
Jota, Mendy - OK but nothing special
Neymar - Cunt

I'd honestly say that there's not a single player that has gone to Saudi this summer that I'd have wanted at Spurs, and yes the argument against Neves/Veiga might well be slightly weaker than the rest listed, but I do think it's relevant, if they're happy to go over there just for the sake of some extra money then they're probably not the right fit for what we need.

However, this Saudi project is still in it's infancy, phase one was to attract the older, near retirement aged players and draw attention to the League, once they had done that with the likes of Ronaldo then the next step was to normalise players moving over there with mid-range signings, and they've successfully done that this summer, probably to a higher level than anyone would have expected.

With that accomplished, the only way I can see it not growing and growing is if whoever is pumping the money in loses interest and withdraws their funding.

I think it will become a real problem for the historically top leagues, and probably will lead to some kind of joint venture or Super League before too long.

Totally agree about mentality.

Howeve, once the 'mid' players start to feel it's acceptable; it'll probably hurt the liked of Italy, France, Germany etc. more than the EPL as they'll struggle even worse to keep up with the wages.

EPL will still be the place to be cos it can boast high end product AND money.

Totally agree about mentality.

Howeve, once the 'mid' players start to feel it's acceptable; it'll probably hurt the liked of Italy, France, Germany etc. more than the EPL as they'll struggle even worse to keep up with the wages.

EPL will still be the place to be cos it can boast high end product AND money.
Maybe, but eventually the wolf will come to the PL door, once it becomes the norm for "mid" players to go there then the plan will move on to attracting "upper mid" and the ultimate goal will be to get the top level players in their prime.

With the speed at which they've enacted the early phases, it's probably not that far off either.

What will be interesting, is what happens to these players going their at a relatively early age when they want out? ARe they just going to have to wait to leave on a Bosman? Are they going to accept that on returning to "real" football then they will have to adjust their wage demands accordingly? Will these Saudi clubs be open to doing business for reasonable transfer fees?

This Jota situation right now might be an interesting indicator, but it also seems strange to me that it seems to be centered around foreign player limits. Who is imposing this limit?? It's a league where the top 5 teams are owned by the same people ffs, surely they're just making it up as they go along? If they want another foreign signing then surely they could just as easily increase the limit?

I think they are limited to 5 foreigners per team for now so they still need to develop the local players before it's any threat.

Back
Top Bottom