Our worst Manager in the PL ERA

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Our Worst Manager in the PL ERA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Following the recent departure of AVB, which I am still undecided if it was the right decision or not. I suppose only time will tell.

Its made me think about our previous managers over the course of the last 20+ years since the PL began. I've excluded our numerous caretaker managers, including Clive Allen, Chris Hughton & David Pleat (3 times).

For me its the bizarre appointment of Christian Gross in November 1997 - Remember the press conference holding-up his tube ticket and proclaiming in limited English: “I want this to become my ticket to the dreams.” see YouTube. I think the writing was on the wall from this moment onwards.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for a lot of the managers in the mid to late nineties, particularly CG, as I don't think we were particularly that bad - I have fond memories of a team that included Iversen, Fox, Nielsen and co.

I voted George Graham. He was a dreary bugger. Add to that the Goonerism, and he was a Dreary Goon.

Can't really rate Santini because I'm sure his farts lingered round longer than him

Everything pre-Hoddle is a bit cloudy for me, so I've gone for Ramos purely because I don't really remember anything decent about him apart from the League Cup win.

Ahhh fuck I forgot about Santini. Well I've ruined this.

For the statistical side that a certain 3rd (statistically) best manager we've had would want
:avblol:

I've put together some rough stats - all competitions

hbed.jpg

This means nothing, as AVB is our most successful PL manager from an 'unbeaten' or 'win' POV, but its also probably our most talented team statically to, so take it how you will!

:harryhmm:

Ramos all the way. We had very good players under him, but the League Cup disguised an ever worsening team, and the shambles the following season - again, with good players - was a huge low.

Wasn't it Ramos who froze JD out, but every time he brought him on as a sub he scored.

Then sold him in January :defoe:

to this guy
:harrysmile:

Although winning the cup against Chelsea I remember being hungover after a trip to Blackpool and hearing Woody had scored. Never forget that hangover...

Wasn't it Ramos who froze JD out, but every time he brought him on as a sub he scored.

Then sold him in January :defoe:

to this guy
:harrysmile:

Although winning the cup against Chelsea I remember being hungover after a trip to Blackpool and hearing Woody had scored. Never forget that hangover...
I believe Defoe was born to be an impact sub whether he likes it or not. He is way more effective when he comes off the bench than when he starts a game from the first minute. Didn't he score over 100 goals as an impact sub? He could prove very useful for us from this point of view, wouldn't want to sell him in January.

Back
Top Bottom