Pat Jennings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Happy b/d 75 today. Played for Spurs v. Mexico XI on his 21st b/d in 1966, crowd of 100,000 in Mexico City, Alan Gilzean scored in a 1-0 Spurs win.

Last edited:
Happy b/d 75 today. Played for Spurs v. Mexico XI on his 21st b/d in 1966, crowd of 100,000 in Mexico City, Alan Gilzean scored in a 1-0 Spurs win.

Before my time Jennings. I only remember him playing for the Islington side- great keeper and to this day I’m convinced he let Garth Crooks score in the 1:0 fa cup third round win of 1981/2. at the Lane 🧐

A great keeper and one of the reasons I wanted to be one.

Only problem was I couldn't catch the fucking thing with two hands let alone one !

Last edited:
Shows how highly he is thought of that even after joining that lit,he is still remembered fondly.

Yes, I can't begin to think of another player that could be liked so much by both elements of the equation, by a direct move from one to the other. Probably helped that we didn't give him what he wanted, and it wasn't a case of him leaving us by choice. I could be wrong but I don't recall a great deal of shock/outrage at the time. All this being so, and as much as I hugely respect Jennings, as player and person, I can't put him in 'hero' bracket for the fact he did move up the road (for which I don't attach blame to him).

Yes, I can't begin to think of another player that could be liked so much by both elements of the equation, by a direct move from one to the other. Probably helped that we didn't give him what he wanted, and it wasn't a case of him leaving us by choice. I could be wrong but I don't recall a great deal of shock/outrage at the time. All this being so, and as much as I hugely respect Jennings, as player and person, I can't put him in 'hero' bracket for the fact he did move up the road (for which I don't attach blame to him).

He didn't want to go! In those days a player might come out of a long career with a pub or small business.
Players had little choice of where they were transferred to.

Back
Top Bottom