Paulo Fonseca (Poll Added)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How do you feel about this appointment

• Like it.

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 90 22.1%
  • Wait and see.

Votes: 217 53.2%
  • I quit.

Votes: 79 19.4%

• Total voters
I've got the Telegraph article up, so wanted to add some more quotes from the above in case people were interested:

“All players want to have the ball,” he said. “They want to dominate. They want to participate. They don’t want to run to recover the ball. They don’t want to run without the ball and defend. The best way to defend is to have the ball.

“We have an obligation with supporters to create a spectacle, a good show. That is the obligation of the coach. I want to win every game but just winning is not enough for me. I have to be offensive and dominate the games and have an offensive midfield and show courage in the game. These are things which will die with me.

“It happened so many times when I got home after winning a game and my wife asked ‘why are you unhappy?’ And it is because I didn’t win the way I wanted to. It is not enough. I have to create a good show for the people who pay the tickets and love football. At least I try. I cannot be a coach in another way.”

:nunofacepalm:

I've got the Telegraph article up, so wanted to add some more quotes from the above in case people were interested:

“All players want to have the ball,” he said. “They want to dominate. They want to participate. They don’t want to run to recover the ball. They don’t want to run without the ball and defend. The best way to defend is to have the ball.

“We have an obligation with supporters to create a spectacle, a good show. That is the obligation of the coach. I want to win every game but just winning is not enough for me. I have to be offensive and dominate the games and have an offensive midfield and show courage in the game. These are things which will die with me.

“It happened so many times when I got home after winning a game and my wife asked ‘why are you unhappy?’ And it is because I didn’t win the way I wanted to. It is not enough. I have to create a good show for the people who pay the tickets and love football. At least I try. I cannot be a coach in another way.”

So you're telling me we could have been having fun football being played at the Lane now if it weren't for Paratici?
goodbye GIF

Sounds fairly cut and dried that it's Paratici who is driving the direction now. I wonder what Levy makes of his appointent.

Is that towards Fonseca or Paratici?

I personally was in favour of Fonseca in as manager.
Not because he has a top class record, which he doesn't, but because I think attacking possession based football actually suits our team perfectly.

It's towards Paratici (and of course Levy)

Sorry - it's been a long day.

Bring in Fonseca for fuck sake :( Just someone who will play ATTACKING MOTHER FUCKING football. Like we're supposed to play.

I can live with the odd hammering. I can't live with permanently boring shite.

Bring in Fonseca for fuck sake :( Just someone who will play ATTACKING MOTHER FUCKING football. Like we're supposed to play.

I do want to give Nuno a chance, because unless Jose I think he's humble enough to change his ways when things are going wrong.

But yeah as I said above, I was in favour of Fonseca because as long as we have Ndombele and GLC fit, our midfield can play possession based attacking football. On the other hand, I reckon we'd have got hammered on first day of the season vs City with his open style of play.

Yes. But it wasn't just Paratici who was against Fonseca in.

Look at this poll. 169 people were dead against it. 218 wanted to wait and see. Only me and 19 others were in favour.
I suspect that a poll between Nuno and Fonseca at that point would have been a close call. Start one now and it would be landslide in favour of Zorro.

He was treated so badly by Paratici to be fair. Considering that according to all reports he's a good person that the players and the community around the club love to work with him (so is Nuno as well actually), and that he wanted to come to us and play attacking football, makes me feel a bit sorry for him, even if initially I was against his appointment...

I dont think he'd ever take a job at Spurs after that experience. Can't say that I blame him.

This here is some binary nonsense I one hundred percent do not want Fonseca and Istill don't. This don't mean I wanted what we have. If you want attacking football a coach who has actually produced it in the EPL should be what your banging on about. Why not bump the Potter thread that would actually make sense. Seen zero from Fonseca (fired for Mourinho for godsake) to suggest we should regret not employing him

This here is some binary nonsense I one hundred percent do not want Fonseca and Istill don't. This don't mean I wanted what we have. If you want attacking football a coach who has actually produced it in the EPL should be what your banging on about. Why not bump the Potter thread that would actually make sense. Seen zero from Fonseca (fired for Mourinho for godsake) to suggest we should regret not employing him
Attacking football for starters.

At least you have a decent time slot. Getting up at 3am for this boring crap is wearing thin quickly.
Can't take much more of this before being full blown Nuno Out.

Instead, what we're seeing is exactly what he didn't like seeing. The exact opposite of good football. That said, I don't think a real life magician would get our players to play possession football as they're all far too easily dispossessed.

Yes. But it wasn't just Paratici who was against Fonseca in.

Look at this poll. 169 people were dead against it. 218 wanted to wait and see. Only me and 19 others were in favour.

I bet more were against Nuno. No one really wanted him at all. Unlike Fonseca, we knew what Nuno would serve up.
Pound Shop Mourinho.

I can't help but feel that of the two, Nuno felt like a safer pair of hands. Specifically and especially that a more defensive approach felt safe to Levy and Paratici. To (re-)establish top 5-6 (and maaaaaybe sneak top 4). A defensive coach squeaking into 5th or 6th is "easier" to sack without a backlash, than someone who does the same while exciting us. You could make the claim that Levy doesn't a shit about backlash from us, but after Poch's sacking and ESL I do believe, he'll want to avoid as and when he can.

In any case, a safe pair of hands, after our top 78 targets didn't work out, looks the plan to me. In a year or two, Poch might be available, Nagelsmann might be tired of winning 7-0 every week, Martinez is done with Belgium, Parker might be a more seasoned manager. We won't (I hope!!!!) need to go through 78 in a few years. As much as I don't two years of - at best - treading water; it's the reality imho.

Remember,Levy turned down this guy for Nuno

48640495_303.jpg

Say what you want about the strength of the league, but 27 goals in 6 games plus 5 away from home in the CL while yet again rebuilding his team.

For he, he was, is and will be the epitome of a Spurs manager.

Also, we have just begun to turn the corner towards some attacking football under Nuno (last two games, 1st half vs Chav's & Lastnight vs Wolves). The Wolves game is perhaps a good barometer seeing as we played them only 4 weeks ago when they dominated much of the proceedings in that game (a game that I also think we totally deserved to win as they barely created anything other than shots from outside the box), we were so much better than 4 weeks ago.

We are FIVE games into a new season with a new manager. Who's inherited the most unfit team in the league thanks to the dinosaur's non-fitness training for more than TWO seasons!!! Who has also had massive headaches already on player selection issues by being unable to pick Kane, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Romero, Sanchez, Son, Bergwijn, Lucas, Sanchez & Dier at points already this season due to no pre-season, injury and International Red List COVID crap.

I've absolutely no idea what Nuno can achieve, especially if this entails an attacking brand of football but so far he's done a far better job in his first 5 games than Poch did in his first 5 games (a last min 0-1 win vs relegation-threatened West Ham, a convincing 4-0 win vs relegated QPR, a 0-3 home defeat vs Liverpool, a draw vs relegation-threatened Sunderland). We were 9th after 5 games 6pts behind Chavs who were top (not that league position after 5 games should be even looked at until 10 games IMO but hey, everyone seems to be obsessed with doing this now) unlike Poch who didn't play a single "top 4 team" until game 6 which was Woolwich (who we drew with) (LFC hadn't finished above us or qualified for Europe for nearly a decade, so weren't a top 4 team at this point). Nuno's already played the two best teams in the league in his 1st 5 games (best in Europe IMO) and beaten deservedly one of them. Poch inherited a team that finished 6th & 5th, Nuno's inherited a team that finished 7th & 6th.

The greatest thing happened over the summer, we got Levy out of the way of making football decisions, this responsibility is now in the hands of a "powerful" CEO of football, NOT a DoF that still has Levy make the calls as per Comolli did but a CEO who has the ownership and the responsibility for ALL the footballing decisions of the Club. Proof of this power is there in not hiring Fonseka and well done Levy for supporting Paratici's decision, this is how it works. Don't anybody say anything against this unless you think Levy's history of appointing managers has been nothing short of brilliant and I know not one of you thinks that he's been that!

As for Fonseka, this well renound attacking genius of football, is unemployed using Tottenham's name in an interview as it's the biggest Club on his CV (well with a big fat line drawn through it) in order to promote himself in the hope another Club comes knocking, he wouldn't be getting this press if he was talking about Shakhtar Donetsk.

It's clear in the last 2 games that we aren't sitting on the edge of our box being passive cunts, there have been green shoots emerging. How green and how tall these shoots will grow, I've no fucking idea. But some people need to get a fucking grip on reality here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom