Paulo Fonseca (Poll Added)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How do you feel about this appointment

• Like it.

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 90 22.1%
  • Wait and see.

Votes: 217 53.2%
  • I quit.

Votes: 79 19.4%

• Total voters
Mixed very mixed.

Did he luck out with Poch?

His pursuit of Mourinho was shocking and his refusal to give Nuno the job until persuaded by our DOF followed by indifferent messages about him prove that Nuno was just like a kid with a quid in a sweetie shop. Too much choice, didn't know what he wanted, but knew he had to pick and just went for the first thing suggested to him.
Which is why it should be celebrated that he no longer has this call.

Levy didn't give the job to Nuno, Paratici's did! It demonstrates Levy has handed over this role, which a GOOD thing. In the short space of time he's been employed, just 3 months, Paratici has given more public interviews and therefore has taken more accountability and visibility than Levy has done in 20yrs!! This is a good thing.

Levy didn't give the job to Nuno, Paratici's did! It demonstrates Levy has handed over this role, which a GOOD thing. In the short space of time he's been employed, just 3 months, Paratici has given more public interviews and therefore has taken more accountability and visibility than Levy has done in 20yrs!! This is a good thing.
It's good in a way, but so far it looks pretty ropey.

What I don't get is the way the candidate was sounded out by Levy, then everything changede under Paratici. Why did Levy sacrifice the vision he had because of Paratici and some video he kept under his bed showing the manager in a very positive, but historical light.

I'm not sure how true this is. Even if it is true, Paratici will only hand around a year or two the fuck off no doubt. Just like Arnesson. Just like Comoli, Just like Baldini.
Levy is too much of a hands on interfering prick to ever let a DoF actually direct the football side of things.

As for Poch - yes Levy totally lucked out. That was the absolute definition of a perfect storm.
Poch came at the exact time players like Kane came through the youth team (will that ever happen with a forward for us again?) and we had young, fit players like Rose, Walker, Eriksen, in the squad, players Poch was prime for improving. And then we got our hands on Dele and Toby and Son who cost very little but turned out to be absolute stormers.
Since then our scouting has been horrific with expensive dud after waste of space promising youth.
That's not to say Poch wasn't an educated guess for Levy. He fits the business model perfectly. It doesn't mean it was destined to work though. Had we had to bring in left and right backs, a keeper, a striker and an AM we'd have screwed it right up.

As for Poch - yes Levy totally lucked out. That was the absolute definition of a perfect storm.
Poch came at the exact time players like Kane came through the youth team (will that ever happen with a forward for us again?) and we had young, fit players like Rose, Walker, Eriksen, in the squad, players Poch was prime for improving. And then we got our hands on Dele and Toby and Son who cost very little but turned out to be absolute stormers.
Since then our scouting has been horrific with expensive dud after waste of space promising youth.
That's not to say Poch wasn't an educated guess for Levy. He fits the business model perfectly. It doesn't mean it was destined to work though. Had we had to bring in left and right backs, a keeper, a striker and an AM we'd have screwed it right up.
True, that's why I thought we would go for a pure coach, someone who gets the best out of what he haas to work with. If it's true Ten Hag has no say over who comes in, he just coaches the players he has; and if Van Der Sar chooses the players, it seemed a no brainer. There was our new DOF and Manager/Head Coach.

Paratici might have done well at Juve, but in all honesty it was throwing tonnes of shite at a fan, some will stick.

Remember when he bought Romero for Juve, he was what? 6 or 7th choice CB and loaned out. It wasn't Paratici's eye honed in on a stand out talent. He bought him alongside others and hoped he would work. Fact is, he felt Juve had many better players and he could loan him out.

He was never getting that luxury here.

It's good in a way, but so far it looks pretty ropey.

What I don't get is the way the candidate was sounded out by Levy, then everything changede under Paratici. Why did Levy sacrifice the vision he had because of Paratici and some video he kept under his bed showing the manager in a very positive, but historical light.
What vision did Levy have? Was it the same vision that made him choose Jose to nurture the clubs philosophy? He's flip-flopped from managers with opposing philosophies since day one, there has been no consistency whatsoever, no thought of the style of play that's been required and how can facilitate it, educate it, nurture it. If Levy were a government it would alternate between the right and the left every 2yrs, each undoing what the other had done and rinse and repeat for 20yrs.

I don't care if Fonseca crying into his cornflakes each morning because he had the rug pulled out from under him. I'm delighted that Levy is no longer making the calls on football matters. I'm reassured that Levy had the balls to let the football man take ownership of the role he was appointed to do and allowed him to appoint his man rather than Levy's.

Had Levy not done this and required Fonseca to be the manager then he would have undermined Paratici before he even officially took the job and it would have been utterly pointless in him even taking the role. (If I were Paratici and he told me to accept Fonseca I would have told Levy to stick his puppet job up his arse).

What vision did Levy have? Was it the same vision that made him choose Jose to nurture the clubs philosophy? He's flip-flopped from managers with opposing philosophies since day one, there has been no consistency whatsoever, no thought of the style of play that's been required and how can facilitate it, educate it, nurture it. If Levy were a government it would alternate between the right and the left every 2yrs, each undoing what the other had done and rinse and repeat for 20yrs.

I don't care if Fonseca crying into his cornflakes each morning because he had the rug pulled out from under him. I'm delighted that Levy is no longer making the calls on football matters. I'm reassured that Levy had the balls to let the football man take ownership of the role he was appointed to do and allowed him to appoint his man rather than Levy's.

Had Levy not done this and required Fonseca to be the manager then he would have undermined Paratici before he even officially took the job and it would have been utterly pointless in him even taking the role. (If I were Paratici and he told me to accept Fonseca I would have told Levy to stick his puppet job up his arse).
The problem is this.

Is Paratici Levy's new Mourinho? Something he wanted for a long time, absolutely unsuited to the job and gets too much time in the hope it works?

True, that's why I thought we would go for a pure coach, someone who gets the best out of what he haas to work with. If it's true Ten Hag has no say over who comes in, he just coaches the players he has; and if Van Der Sar chooses the players, it seemed a no brainer. There was our new DOF and Manager/Head Coach.

Paratici might have done well at Juve, but in all honesty it was throwing tonnes of shite at a fan, some will stick.

Remember when he bought Romero for Juve, he was what? 6 or 7th choice CB and loaned out. It wasn't Paratici's eye honed in on a stand out talent. He bought him alongside others and hoped he would work. Fact is, he felt Juve had many better players and he could loan him out.

He was never getting that luxury here.

What you've described from Paratici at Juve is what Levy has been doing at Spurs for 20 years, Sign lots of low value young players with good reviews. 9 out of 10 will probably linger around and go at a loss, but one will be a Bale, a Modric, a Berbatov. They both improve the squad taking us up a few places and then sell on for huge profit.

I'm not sure how true this is. Even if it is true, Paratici will only hand around a year or two the fuck off no doubt. Just like Arnesson. Just like Comoli, Just like Baldini.
Levy is too much of a hands on interfering prick to ever let a DoF actually direct the football side of things.
Arnesen was a massive miss for us, but was enticed away by an illegal approach by Abramovic on his yacht in Monaco splashing his countryman's rubles in his face. Really can't see what we could have done here to keep him.

Comoli was a DoF, I think on the whole did a good job, we can point to more successes than failures which is fair (all DoF's will have signed players that failed and no doubt let other go that became good, so need a balanced assessment). But Levy still called the shots, still made the decisions, NOT Comoli.

Baldini was the same mould as Comolli, no power, no ownership all of which was in the hands of Levy. I think Baldini did a good job of offloading players in his last summer.

Levy HAS handed over the direct running of the Football side of things, this is evidenced in not hiring Fonseca and hiring his preference of Nuno. This is GOOD!

Whether Nuno proves to be a good hire time will tell, but I'd back Paratici's decision over Levy's any day of the week. (If I want the best administrator in the game then I'd back Levy).

Arnesen was a massive miss for us, but was enticed away by an illegal approach by Abramovic on his yacht in Monaco splashing his countryman's rubles in his face. Really can't see what we could have done here to keep him.

Comoli was a DoF, I think on the whole did a good job, we can point to more successes than failures which is fair (all DoF's will have signed players that failed and no doubt let other go that became good, so need a balanced assessment). But Levy still called the shots, still made the decisions, NOT Comoli.

Baldini was the same mould as Comolli, no power, no ownership all of which was in the hands of Levy. I think Baldini did a good job of offloading players in his last summer.

Levy HAS handed over the direct running of the Football side of things, this is evidenced in not hiring Fonseca and hiring his preference of Nuno. This is GOOD!

Whether Nuno proves to be a good hire time will tell, but I'd back Paratici's decision over Levy's any day of the week. (If I want the best administrator in the game then I'd back Levy).
Levy can and almost certainly will sack Paratici. Or Paratici can go the same way as Arnesson. This is why ultimately, Levy will always be involved. The only way he won't be is him leaving the club.
What I always say about that whole Arnesson fiasco, is that although he may have been lured by money, if he was totally happy in the first place, he would have likely never got on the boat.

Why do we listen to this crap.

He was passed over because it was determined that his style of football would not fit into the PL.

I am exceptionally happy that we appointed someone who had managed in THIS league
So you're happy with the style of football we've got instead?
If so, please tell me you weren't one of the masses baying for Mourinho's blood. At least under him, we looked like we were hard to beat for a large portion of the season.

Levy can and almost certainly will sack Paratici. Or Paratici can go the same way as Arnesson. This is why ultimately, Levy will always be involved. The only way he won't be is him leaving the club.
What I always say about that whole Arnesson fiasco, is that although he may have been lured by money, if he was totally happy in the first place, he would have likely never got on the boat.
Well of course he's the Chairman and Paratici reports directly to him.

But he's not hired at the level of previous DoF's, responsible for recruitment or scouting, he's responsible for EVERYTHING football-related. He will therefore have the power to make his own decision, have the responsibility and ownership of these decisions. This type of role is far higher than anyone that's gone before him. He's the CEO of Football. The buck starts and stops with him.

There are very few Clubs that can raid us now, we are no longer 12th in the PL we're in the top ten in the world! The pond is so much smaller.

If Levy was still making the call why isn't Fonseca our manager?

There are very few Clubs that can raid us now, we are no longer 12th in the PL we're in the top ten in the world! The pond is so much smaller.

If Levy was still making the call why isn't Fonseca our manager?

You're right.
We could be 13th on Monday morning.

I don't doubt Levy has employed Paratici to make the decisions. It's how long he lets him before he decides to stick his nose in.
And let's not rule out the concern that Paratici is winging it anyway.

You're right.
We could be 13th on Monday morning.

I don't doubt Levy has employed Paratici to make the decisions. It's how long he lets him before he decides to stick his nose in.
And let's not rule out the concern that Paratici is winging it anyway.
Why has Levy hired a CEO of football then?

I haven't ruled out the possibility of Paratici not doing a good job, if he doesn't then he gets sacked.

I'm confused here, are you arguing in favour of Levy making football decisions? You don't want an experienced football man doing this job, you want Levy doing it?

If he ends up sacking paritici..then it means not only does he fail in picking manager, players and now he failed at picking a DoF. Not getting almost any decisions right would be downright embarassing, so I think Paritici is not very likely to be sacked any time soon unless he leaves for a better offer.

The problem is this.

Is Paratici Levy's new Mourinho? Something he wanted for a long time, absolutely unsuited to the job and gets too much time in the hope it works?

my view as well. All very well saying well at least Levy hired a DoF but it’s not that simple, if Levy hired Tony Pulis we wouldn’t all say well at least Levy got us a manager, we would say the manager is unsuitable.

The DoF has to fit the club, a DoF that wants defensive football isn’t one the club should appoint. It goes against the clubs values or at least the supporters values. To hear that Potter was the one the board wanted then Paratici wanted Nuno is alarming (according to Ally Gold). If Nuno fails and gets sacked are we going to just get another Jose?

Back
Top Bottom