Paulo Gazzaniga

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is Gazziniga good enough to replace Lloris as 1st choice keeper?

• yes

Votes: 62 42.8%
  • no

Votes: 83 57.2%

• Total voters
Lloris is one of the best sweeper keepers in the game. Gazza is a good shot stopper but lacks the speed off the line and decision making that Lloris has. (imo)

Lloris hasn't played as a sweeper keeper in years. It's one of the reasons we don't press so high up the pitch anymore.

He came in as 3rd choice from Southampton (not a hot prospect) , was given a chance at 1st and didn't do enough but did enough to be 2nd choice. I'd be happy if I was him.

This year granted but not years

It's been a couple of seasons now at least, and it has really impacted our play. Additionaly, it has been to Lloris' detriment, his speed off his line and defending on the edge of the area, made him quite unique amongst prem keepers and was one of the more outstanding qualities, without that he is not particularly outstanding.

Gazza would have saved the penalty.
Yes I know that I can't prove that, but I can believe it. And no, it's not only because he's better looking that I think he should be playing..............ok, maybe there is a little bit of that to it 🤭

Probably not quite good enough to be a first choice 'keeper for a team chasing top four, but he stood up and was counted when needed. And that is all you can ask, really. A team player who didn't throw his toys out the pram when dropped - unlike some. Fair play to you, Gazza!

Unfortunately not good enough as first keeper for us, but did a good job when needed and seems to be a great guy to have around the team. All you can wish for from a second keeper. Still better then Arrizabalaga :vert:

Seems like a nice lad, but not even good enough to be our backup keeper IMO, hilarious that so many thought he was a better bet than Lloris at one point. Lloris may be a problem, but this guy is not the answer.

Seems like a nice lad, but not even good enough to be our backup keeper IMO, hilarious that so many thought he was a better bet than Lloris at one point. Lloris may be a problem, but this guy is not the answer.

Yeah, I was also guilty of thinking Hugo was done. However, Gazza had his chance and didnt take it. Under pressure, I think Hugo is world class. Even now.

Yeah, I was also guilty of thinking Hugo was done. However, Gazza had his chance and didnt take it. Under pressure, I think Hugo is world class. Even now.
Thing is with Hugo, his mistakes are brainfarts because they are clearly occasions where we know he is better than that, Gazza's are just accepted without so much ire because we know he's bang average at best. So I can see why Hugo is more frustrating in a way.

I think he's fine as a number 2, although obviously long term we need to replace him with a younger keeper who will genuinely challenge Lloris as he ages.

Most clubs don't have two top keepers anymore, eventually players like Cillesen, Navas and Cech get fed up and move on. Gazza is perfectly fine as a keeper to play lesser cup matches and once or twice in the league. He's not a keeper you'd want playing 20 league games a season but that's the case with almost every second keeper in this league. Even a club like Liverpool have a shocking reserve keeper who single-handedly chucked them out of the CL this season.

We are just unlucky that Lloris got such a bizarre and serious injury this season.

Back
Top Bottom