Pay per win

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Andersen

Able to post threads.
Introduce a flat year £500k pay, add a bonus per game won. This would stir things up, bet some sicknotes would feel alot better.

Last edited:
I'm sure a lot of young prospects would jump on a deal like that. Not like we have much to loose anyway seeing the state of our squad now.

Pretty sure the average wage of a PL footballer is £60K per week (£3.1M) - in general f we ever want a player that other PL clubs are after the bonuses would have to be so achievable that they are not really bonuses.

This is a wild idea from out of left field but wild ideas are great to move people's thinking. The basic idea of heavy incentives is not too far fetched as it is already in play and within the context of FFP it's actually pretty interesting.

If the PL stipulated a max base salary, seeing as a salary cap does not seem a goer, then players everywhere would be in similar situations. If you set the max base similar to (or above) averages in other top leagues but provided huge incentives the economic power of the PL would not be diminished. Beyond that players earning potential would not be diminished, necessarily. It would also facilitate movement of players no longer required to other teams as their contracts would no longer be cost prohibitive because you'd be selling the 'base' as the incentives would be tied to the team. It would also allow richer teams to continue to exercise their financial might in relation to others' in their league but through incentives. Beyond that it would protect relegated teams as contracts would revert to the base (or lower) and would be protected by parachute payments of a more fitting number.

That's just a spitball but it seems a reasonable idea that I don't really seem to see many negatives other than folk's resistance to change. I can see players not liking it as everyone would prefer all of their wages guaranteed. But the potential to earn more in the PL would remain if the max base was set high enough but reasonable.

Might as well extend this thinking to the supporters too. 20 quid base ticket price plus 20 quid if it’s a win. Supporters can give a 10 quid tip if we lose but it’s still a decent performance :levystare::levywtf:

This is a wild idea from out of left field but wild ideas are great to move people's thinking. The basic idea of heavy incentives is not too far fetched as it is already in play and within the context of FFP it's actually pretty interesting.

If the PL stipulated a max base salary, seeing as a salary cap does not seem a goer, then players everywhere would be in similar situations. If you set the max base similar to (or above) averages in other top leagues but provided huge incentives the economic power of the PL would not be diminished. Beyond that players earning potential would not be diminished, necessarily. It would also facilitate movement of players no longer required to other teams as their contracts would no longer be cost prohibitive because you'd be selling the 'base' as the incentives would be tied to the team. It would also allow richer teams to continue to exercise their financial might in relation to others' in their league but through incentives. Beyond that it would protect relegated teams as contracts would revert to the base (or lower) and would be protected by parachute payments of a more fitting number.

That's just a spitball but it seems a reasonable idea that I don't really seem to see many negatives other than folk's resistance to change. I can see players not liking it as everyone would prefer all of their wages guaranteed. But the potential to earn more in the PL would remain if the max base was set high enough but reasonable.

Club A offers pay by win bonus

Club B offers same amount as base salary regardless of win or lose matches

Who do you think the player will sign for?

We dont operate in a monopoly

Club A offers pay by win bonus

Club B offers same amount as base salary regardless of win or lose matches

Who do you think the player will sign for?

We dont operate in a monopoly
I ask that you re-read what I wrote because what I think you are saying has already been addressed...almost as the main tenet of my post. But I'd like to engage on this so feel free to flesh out your point. Are the teams you suggest in the same league or different?

If so then here's an example:
PL sets max base @ 60K/wk (as the avg of PL is 3M/yr or some such) and teams are allowed the same incentive (goals, appearances, squad, wins, wanks, etc) that are in play now but those incentives are team specific and don't transfer. The incentives are for performance so if the player doesn't earn their spot they get paid only the base. If a player will no longer be getting games he will more likely seek out a transfer as every other team in the league can offer a similar base and more likely to be hit incentives because they are a 'lesser' team.

Club A (let's say City): offer Player X 60K PL maximum Base + matchday squad 50k + goal 20k + win 20K for a potential 150k/wk

Club B (let's say Wham): can only offer player X a guaranteed base of 60K just like everyone else in the league. But what they can do is beat Club A on incentives, however structured, and possibly do it in a manner that even though they risk more per week it would be for success ie bigger money for wins/goals than matchday squads or appearances.

Club B's breakdown could look like this: 60K max Base + 60K start + 40K goal + 40K win = potential 200k/wk.

In Club A's case the incentives are more easily hit since they would be A) buying better, less risky players and B) have more money. But if Spam wanted to compete with them they could offer huge incentives that are less likely to be hit but if hit would ultimately benefit them and be worth it. But either way the player's guarantee is only 60K/wk and if it doesn't work out at either place moving 60k/wk would be a hell of a lot easier than moving Benteke on 150K/wk or whatever. And teams would know their max base player budget of 75M going into every season.

Back
Top Bottom