Poch out?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch out?

• Yes

Votes: 161 36.9%
  • No

Votes: 275 63.1%

• Total voters
His stubbornness is his biggest problem, but I shall defend him by saying the euro window being still open hasn't helped him one bit, once its closed he can concentrate on what/who he has to play with..until January

Many managers would have walked after Levy sanctioned no transfers.

As I have stated before Poch is not stupid. Not having any transfers sanctioned took a lot of the direct pressure off him as a manager. High praise if the team enjoys success, "Poch doing miracles by making and mending with what he has" but should the team not perform well the response is then "He's not being backed by the board".
It placed him in any extremely comfortable position at one of the top clubs in the Premier League on a salary of £8m a year without any direct accountability from the fans for the team's possible failures but the adulation of thousands of supporters should the team do well. Surely some of the comments on here are testament to that ?
So long as Spurs enjoy top four and the income that brings Levy is never going to go hammering on his door demanding more.

His stubbornness is his biggest problem, but I shall defend him by saying the euro window being still open hasn't helped him one bit, once its closed he can concentrate on what/who he has to play with..until January
I posted this on the Mauricio Pochettino thread but it stands good on here too....please look at these two links (12 months apart).....can you defend him now regarding the window ???

I posted this on the Mauricio Pochettino thread but it stands good on here too....please look at these two links (12 months apart).....can you defend him now regarding the window ???

I don't think he's saying the same thing here. I think the idea is that it is great for the window to close prior to the start of the season IF the other leagues follow suit. Article #1 is about the window closing prior to the start of the EPL season, article #2 is about how it sucks that the EPL window closes weeks prior to the closing in other leagues.

Not quite the same thing.

Here's our poor spells per year under Pochettino

2014:
4 wins from 13 games spell. (30% win percentage)

2015:
6 wins from 17 games spell (35% win percentage)

2016:
7 wins from 19 games spell (36% win percentage)

2017:
3 wins from a 9 games spell (33% win percentage)

2018:
6 wins from 11 games spell - (54% win percentage)

2019:
4 wins from 15 games spell. (26% win percentage)

--

Here's our poor spells per year under Pochettino

2014:
4 wins from 13 games spell. (30% win percentage)

2015:
6 wins from 17 games spell (35% win percentage)

2016:
7 wins from 19 games spell (36% win percentage)

2017:
3 wins from a 9 games spell (33% win percentage)

2018:
6 wins from 11 games spell - (54% win percentage)

2019:
4 wins from 15 games spell. (26% win percentage)

--

Does this mean it’s not as bad as it seems??

:pochshock2:

I don't think he's saying the same thing here. I think the idea is that it is great for the window to close prior to the start of the season IF the other leagues follow suit. Article #1 is about the window closing prior to the start of the EPL season, article #2 is about how it sucks that the EPL window closes weeks prior to the closing in other leagues.

Not quite the same thing.
He's simply saying whatever suits.

Yes...

Last summer we didn’t buy anyone.

This summer 2 of the 3 new players came on last day.

First article he says “We're going to have the squad ready before the start of the season”.

We are so very far from this currently!

We could lose 2-3 players this week. Injuries and contract issues also mean that it won’t be until after international break that we know what shape we’re in - which is kinda how it always is with us!

Ask me again in 4 games.

:dembelelol:

We seem to go through these spells under Poch - usually though there are more draws involved than the losses we've had in 2019 - maybe that's why he's had it calm from the fans until now?

Yeah good point.
20 losses last year is obviously a shocker. But 63% win ratio is strong.
Just very odd we hardly drew a game of the near 60 we played.

Win ratio is more common quoted stat, and last year was as strong as it’s ever been - but if we replace too many results with draws we could lose less but win less....

Saying that, a draw may suit at the weekend....

:pochfacepalm:

I voted yes.

4 PL wins in 15 games is not good enough.

His team selections and tactics are really baffling at times. None more so than playing a clearly unfit Kane in the CL final over a player who had scored a hatrick in the semi.

Getting to the CL final was a fluke? That’s some crazy 6-month long fluke.

By that logic Pool winning the CL was a fluke as well - everyone’s sh!t and any improvement is down to luck.

Fluke is most certainly the wrong word. But we did manage to win games in which we were not the better team. Interestingly it was those games where we sat back and allowed the other team to have the ball and took advantage of limited chances on the break that got us to the final.

The CL final was very similar to the Newcastle game and Klopp executed the plan perfectly. Ironically pundits said Liverpool played poorly in the final - I would actually contest that they did exactly as their coach instructed them - sit back and don't give any space to our attacking players.

On the training ground Poch needs to work on breaking down the parked bus with the squad he has. Either we have to bait the other team out of their formation or we need to put balls into the box for our strikers to attack. Kane, Moura and Alli are all good in the air but we need to get the ball into them to give them the chance to attack it rather than trying to thread it through. The more players we put into the box; the more space will be afforded to players like Son, Eriksen (or Lo Celsco) and Ndombele to allow them to get shots off from distance.

Wow, this thread is embarrassing. One bad result this season and people are saying Poch should be sacked; it’s a disgrace. Who do we think we are, Real Madrid, Chelsea..? Sack managers willy nilly.... This club has been on an upward trajectory for the last 8+ years. Put some faith in the people who have got us to where we are. I saw this thread and I honestly thought this site had been infiltrated by a scouser or goon to stir the pot.

Wow, this thread is embarrassing. One bad result this season and people are saying Poch should be sacked; it’s a disgrace. Who do we think we are, Real Madrid, Chelsea..? Sack managers willy nilly.... This club has been on an upward trajectory for the last 8+ years. Put some faith in the people who have got us to where we are. I saw this thread and I honestly thought this site had been infiltrated by a scouser or goon to stir the pot.
That'll be a no vote then

I assume you also understand this is dutiful positive pressure being applied by some of the greatest supporters this club has? Look at the considered debate. It's beautiful. Poch has been given a vote of confidence. A day ago he was in disgrace and unable to lead the team. Now he knows he has a moment of reprieve.

Back
Top Bottom