Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
He ticks a lot of the boxes that should make him a big success at Spurs.

1. Goals scored:

His Brighton team create more chances that anyone else other than the likes of City. That they don't score from those chances is down to the strikers they have and the budget that he's had to work to. Bloom won't push the boat out for that, up to a certain percentage of turnover and no more - sound familiar?

Can you imagine what he'd do at Spurs if we created those chances for us but with Kane and Son to finish them off? And not Welbeck?

They've lost a lot of games this season. But: only 3 by more than one goal (Chavs, City, Leicester). 2 of those at the start. Which means they probably wouldn't have lost many more than that. Looks like they've competed in every game this season barring 3.

The A23 Derby (groan) games v Palace were a case in point. Brighton created I think 50 chances in those games, scored one goal. Got one point.

2. Goals against:

Barring the first few matches (see above), he's got the defence sorted. Which is more than we've done, even with 2/3rds of a season of bus-parking.

3. Youth:

One of the selling points for him going to Brighton was their Academy. I'd bet ours is WAY better than Brighton's. Just look at the amount of International caps we've produced in the past 7-8 years. Even our REJECTS end up playing for their countries.

In 2 years our Under-18's will be pushing for first-team or loans. They are looking like they could be the best Academy group we've ever had. We need someone who will do the right thing here.

4. Man Management:

Got a degree in Leadership and Emotional Intelligence. Which means he at least KNOWS how to motivate all sorts. Which is probably the most important skill that a manager can have in the PL. The others I'd say are selecting the team, choosing the tactics, and buying well. If you have a decent coach and scouts you're more than half way with those 3.

I've never seen him throw a player under the bus after a defeat, nor would I expect it.

5. PL Experience.

6. Teams play good, attractive football which would fill the stadium.

NB. Nice to have:

- he comes across well in interview. No toys thrown out of prams;

- hasn't failed anywhere. Did an outstanding job in Sweden, a good job at Swans with all his best players sold from underneath him (and no complaints in the press), and he's a striker short of a very good job at Brighton.

Seems to be popular with players and fans wherever he goes.

Having just move to Brighton, I get a bit of low down on him from mates who support them. Often they're Spurs who have them as a 2nd local team.

I don't think Levy will go for him, he doesn't have CL experience. Not a big enough name to get buyers interested and the value of the club up.

Football is a pretty simple game. Some of the things he's good at, we're missing. What he's missing, we've got.

Maybe I'm being too logical.

He ticks a lot of the boxes that should make him a big success at Spurs.

1. Goals scored:

His Brighton team create more chances that anyone else other than the likes of City. That they don't score from those chances is down to the strikers they have and the budget that he's had to work to. Bloom won't push the boat out for that, up to a certain percentage of turnover and no more - sound familiar?

Can you imagine what he'd do at Spurs if we created those chances for us but with Kane and Son to finish them off? And not Welbeck?

They've lost a lot of games this season. But: only 3 by more than one goal (Chavs, City, Leicester). 2 of those at the start. Which means they probably wouldn't have lost many more than that. Looks like they've competed in every game this season barring 3.

The A23 Derby (groan) games v Palace were a case in point. Brighton created I think 50 chances in those games, scored one goal. Got one point.

2. Goals against:

Barring the first few matches (see above), he's got the defence sorted. Which is more than we've done, even with 2/3rds of a season of bus-parking.

3. Youth:

One of the selling points for him going to Brighton was their Academy. I'd bet ours is WAY better than Brighton's. Just look at the amount of International caps we've produced in the past 7-8 years. Even our REJECTS end up playing for their countries.

In 2 years our Under-18's will be pushing for first-team or loans. They are looking like they could be the best Academy group we've ever had. We need someone who will do the right thing here.

4. Man Management:

Got a degree in Leadership and Emotional Intelligence. Which means he at least KNOWS how to motivate all sorts. Which is probably the most important skill that a manager can have in the PL. The others I'd say are selecting the team, choosing the tactics, and buying well. If you have a decent coach and scouts you're more than half way with those 3.

I've never seen him throw a player under the bus after a defeat, nor would I expect it.

5. PL Experience.

6. Teams play good, attractive football which would fill the stadium.

NB. Nice to have:

- he comes across well in interview. No toys thrown out of prams;

- hasn't failed anywhere. Did an outstanding job in Sweden, a good job at Swans with all his best players sold from underneath him (and no complaints in the press), and he's a striker short of a very good job at Brighton.

Seems to be popular with players and fans wherever he goes.

Having just move to Brighton, I get a bit of low down on him from mates who support them. Often they're Spurs who have them as a 2nd local team.

I don't think Levy will go for him, he doesn't have CL experience. Not a big enough name to get buyers interested and the value of the club up.

Football is a pretty simple game. Some of the things he's good at, we're missing. What he's missing, we've got.

Maybe I'm being too logical.
He also have scouting people in his team.

I mean, that was the summer where we recruited Tanguy who was considered one of the very best midfield prospects in Europe.

We were also very heavily linked with Bruno and he was apparently willing to come here but Levy didn't spend the cash.

Ultimately what gets players in the door is big money both to them in wages and to the other club in transfer fees. CL gets you a seat at the table but if ownership isn't willing to drop the funds, then it doesn't really matter.
On the flip side, big money can buy you the players without the CL as has been evidenced in the past as well.

I guess my point is that its a money issue, not really a CL issue.

When asked last week about speculation linking him to Spurs, Rodgers said: "Tottenham is a fantastic club, it's one of the big clubs in this country, it's a huge club. My focus is purely here.
I'm at a world-class training facility, the project we're in here, we still want to develop, we still have a lot of work to do here.
"I have a great connection with the players and the board, and we have plans to keep progressing."

That is no more than I would expect him to say. Leicester are still in F A Cup & Cl places and anything else would jeopardise that. Does not mean he would turn us down.
Having said that if Gold is correct and announcement is due before end of season then that rules him out.

He said exactly the same about Leicester when he was Celtic manager.

If this was a without pandemic season and we had the money he’d be our manager next season. There’s no way he’d turn us down.

Skip to 15 min for manager talk. Pretty good insight. Ally says, ten Hag and Potter are definitely drawing interest from Spurs. Parker is also drawing some interest, but reservations about him being too young. Says Martinez is likely linked because of his agent. Allegri is slight interest. Says Sarri, Glasner, Nuno aren't under consideration according to his sources.

Based on this - it seems Ten Hag is the favourite and most likely.

Skip to 15 min for manager talk. Pretty good insight. Ally says, ten Hag and Potter are definitely drawing interest from Spurs. Parker is also drawing some interest, but reservations about him being too young. Says Martinez is likely linked because of his agent. Allegri is slight interest. Says Sarri, Glasner, Nuno aren't under consideration according to his sources.

Yeah the agent link with Martinez seems to be the main reason his name got out there. Reeks of someone making insurance plans in case Belgium shit the bed in the Euros.

Would he want to leave that job one year before a World Cup otherwise? Really?

>Ajax 12 points clear at the top of the Eredivisie
>4 games to go
>huge GD advantage

It's done and dusted but this weekend may well see it official. Wonder if that might factor into the time scale here...
Win on the weekend and I could see it announced next week. If Ten Hag is the one we are going for that is. Which by most accounts it looks like.

Makes a lot of sense. Their season would be over, so negotiations can start, even while ours is still on-going.
Negotiations are probably already going on. But once they seal the title we could finalize it.

Like the Duke I think we more or less have an agreement in place, but out of respect to Ajax we are waiting to announce/finalize stuff until they have won the league.

This is another interesting bit from the latest Gold video:

• Club looking to return to data-driven sports science behind the scenes after Mourinho, multiple people in the club have said there are concerns over the fitness of the squad.

It's good to see that the club will give the new manager tools to get the players fitter. Also it is not surprising at all that an old school manager like Jose does not buy into sports science or uses an older method/style of it from when he broke through. Seeing it return is a positive.

This is another interesting bit from the latest Gold video:

• Club looking to return to data-driven sports science behind the scenes after Mourinho, multiple people in the club have said there are concerns over the fitness of the squad.

It's good to see that the club will give the new manager tools to get the players fitter. Also it is not surprising at all that an old school manager like Jose does not buy into sports science or uses an older method/style of it from when he broke through. Seeing it return is a positive.
What Jose and Levy have in common is that they were absolutely at the bleeding edge of the most forward-thinking and progressive football advancements in 2004, and have never changed a thing.

Back
Top Bottom