Poll: Who do you want most as our next manager?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would be your first choice?

• Graham Potter

• Scott Parker

• Ten Hag

• Rafa Benitez

• None of the above - comment below

• *Marcelo Bielsa

• *Ralf Rangnick

• *Ralph Hasenhüttl

• *Steven Gerrard

• *Julen Lopetegui

• *Christophe Galtier

• *Marcelo Gallardo

• *Oliver Glasner

• *Ryan Mason

• *Maurizio Sarri

• *Gian Piero Gasperini

• *Mauricio Pochettino

• *Antonio Conte

• *Eddie Howe

• *Gareth Southgate

• *Nuno Espirito Santo

• *Paulo Fonseca

• *Gennaro Gattuso

• *Ernesto Valverde

Results are only viewable after voting.
Winning the Dutch league and cup with Ajax is no more an achievement than winning a goldfish and some candy floss at a fairground, as Frank de Boer proves. Potter took an obscure Swedish team from the fourth to the first division and into the Europa League, this is a very noteworthy achievement.

People are enamoured by Ten Hag because he sounds exotic and a couple of CL games in 2019. On closer inspection he doesn't stack up as well. He's actually older than Guardiola yet he's only been on anyone's radar for a couple of years.

Giving the job to someone who has spent his entire playing and managerial career in the Netherlands is just too risky. It could work out but it could also fail spectacularly.
So why winning Eredivisie would not an achievement? Ajax are not the undisputed contenders in Netherlands, in fact they haven’t won the title since 2013 or something like that before ten Hag was hired. If you’re not convinced about winning Eredivisie in style, look at Ajax’s European journey. They’ve knocked out a few important sides that year they’ve got in the semifinals and did well even after losing four important players.

You beat the drum as if winning Eredivisie is a joke but you’re mystified by a man who’s only managed a few promotions in a much lesser league.

So why winning Eredivisie would not an achievement? Ajax are not the undisputed contenders in Netherlands, in fact they haven’t won the title since 2013 or something like that before ten Hag was hired. If you’re not convinced about winning Eredivisie in style, look at Ajax’s European journey. They’ve knocked out a few important sides that year they’ve got in the semifinals and did well even after losing four important players.

You beat the drum as if winning Eredivisie is a joke but you’re mystified by a man who’s only managed a few promotions in a much lesser league.

Do you recall the game we played away to PSV in 18/19? We ended up drawing it after the Lloris red card but for the bulk of the game it was quite literally men against boys. The gulf in class was immense.

Do you recall the game we played away to PSV in 18/19? We ended up drawing it after the Lloris red card but for the bulk of the game it was quite literally men against boys. The gulf in class was immense.
So you admit that the gulf in class is immense between Eredivisie clubs and the top European clubs, yet Ajax reached the semifinals of UCL and the QF of EL this season. So you proved my point that he overachieved with Ajax in Europe.

No way was this guy on our list of potential managers, he was at RBL's feeder club RB Salzburg, where he's already managed quite a few of the RBL players because they too were also moved from feeder club to the main club. This is why and how the RB football network plays out.
Let's beg Red Bull to buy us and make those 2 our feeder club then.

Again. PSV will still be able to beat most other eredivisie teams. If PSV win their games with 1-0 and Ajax with 4-0, they still get the same amount of points.

Some numbers for those interested:

De Boer won 4 championships in a row with respectively 73, 76, 76 and 71 points (2011-2014), putting his 'qualities' as a coach in the right perspective.
Bosz lost the title in 2017 with 81 points, Feijenoord had 82 that year.
Ten Hag won the title in 2019 with 86 points, just enough to beat PSV, that had 83 points.

Of course Ajax is much better than all the other teams in the Eredivsie, but if you are superior, there is a risk you get lazy. It's Ten Hag's merit he kept the team focused during the past seasons.

Last edited:
An American manager might work out in Germany but it would never work out here. It's impossible to take any American seriously when they talk about football. One just assumes they don't know what they're talking about. It's the same with British people talking about the NFL, it just sounds ridiculous.
I have an American to thank for teaching me more about the game than anyone else.

@thero
Unfortunately what we've seen in the Premier League in terms of Dutch imports are often prolific goal scorers who come to the premier league and sink. There's obviously a few who dont like RVP, RVN etc but quote a few have been shite too. It gives the impression that the Dutch League is weak.
The concerning thing with Ten Hag is no one knew who he was a few years ago. Where was he, what was he doing, was he any good?
Exactly the same scenario applies to Maurizio Sarri. He spent years dossing around at lower League clubs then did well with Napoli for 2 seasons and he was suddenly very en vogue despite being almost a pensioner.

Do you know no team other than Man City has won a domestic cup AND finished in the Top 4 in the last 4 seasons. The clubs that win the domestic cups, other than City, are able to field stronger sides as they're not competing for the Top 4. Liverpool play reserve teams in domestic cups and sacrifice them completely. An FA Cup would be great but teams are now judged by their performance in the League and CL. Winning those is where the kudos is in modern football

On the other hand, let’s bear Leicester in mind here. Odds-on for top four and in the FA Cup final.

@thero
Unfortunately what we've seen in the Premier League in terms of Dutch imports are often prolific goal scorers who come to the premier league and sink. There's obviously a few who dont like RVP, RVN etc but quote a few have been shite too. It gives the impression that the Dutch League is weak.
The concerning thing with Ten Hag is no one knew who he was a few years ago. Where was he, what was he doing, was he any good?
Exactly the same scenario applies to Maurizio Sarri. He spent years dossing around at lower League clubs then did well with Napoli for 2 seasons and he was suddenly very en vogue despite being almost a pensioner.
The likes of Gravenbarch, Mazroui, Tgliafico, Onana, Schuurs etc have played against top English teams and for the most part look as good if not better than their opponents.

Schuurs ragdolling Mane, Gravenberch running the midfield against Liverwank, Tagliafico being consistently good for years. Maybe the strikers have been poor, but maybe there is just a culture change that needs a bit of time.

The defenders have generally been great, not surprising as De Ligt, VVD and De Vrij are probably 3 of the top 6 or 7 defenders in the World at present

Again. PSV will still be able to beat most other eredivisie teams. If PSV win their games with 1-0 and Ajax with 4-0, they still get the same amount of points.

Some numbers for those interested:

De Boer won 4 championships in a row with respectively 73, 76, 76 and 71 points (2011-2014). By the way: this puts his qualities asa coach in the right perspective.
Bosz lost the title in 2017 with 81 points, Feijenoord had 82 that year.
Ten Hag won the title in 2019 with 86 points, just enough to beat PSV, that had 83 points.

Of course Ajax is much better than all the other teams in the Eredivsie, but if you are superior, there is a risk you get lazy. It's Ten Hag's merit he kept the team focused during the past seasons.

What was the purpose of him staying there beyond 2018/19? Wouldn't a more ambitious manager seek a new challenge beyond the Eredivise? Or has no one really come in for him? Ajax is a big club with a big history but the Dutch league is little better than Scottish League. I certainly don't expect Steve Gerrard to be bumming around at Rangers in his fifties.

Yesterday it was nailed on to be Rogers according to them ,but today i got this popped up in my Spurs WhattsApp group.

’Ten Hag deal agreed late last night. 4 signings agreed as part of the deal. It’s likely both Ajax & Spurs will release the news before the end of the season but Ten Hag wants to finish his job off. Ryan Mason will see the rest of the season out.’’

Yesterday it was nailed on to be Rogers according to them ,but today i got this popped up in my Spurs WhattsApp group.

’Ten Hag deal agreed late last night. 4 signings agreed as part of the deal. It’s likely both Ajax & Spurs will release the news before the end of the season but Ten Hag wants to finish his job off. Ryan Mason will see the rest of the season out.’’
I really hope that’s true because I just read that Southgate has been contacted by Levy.

That muppet would be the final straw.

An extremely lucky season, sometimes this happens in football.
Absolutely.

Look there are some players you see once and you just know they are meant for big things. For me it was Ljungberg, 17 year old De Ligt, 17 year old Gareth Bale etc. you just know.

Others provide stats that hide their frailties or weaknesses. A bit like Vinicius here. A tap into an empty net against Villa and a hat trick against guys who have proper jobs and play football mostly for the fun of it does not make him a "10 goal hero".

Sounds like someone either copied my post or a post on that Football London site.

Back
Top Bottom