Pre-Season 23/24

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There’s a difference between a “good” preseason and an “effective” preseason.

After the Lasagna-gate season, Tottenham had a good preseason… we didn’t lose a game… I might be wrong but a draw against Inter or Dortmund was the only “not good” result… we had played a lot of nice football against various European teams.

Bolton Wanderers, on the other hand, had a “bad” preseason. Losing and drawing to lower division teams.

First game of the season, away to Bolton Wanderers, Tottenham fell to a 2-0 defeat, our hosts barely breaking a sweat.

I am wondering, if without European football, when we have fewer games to worry about, if we are putting these “tours” ahead of a more muted, but effective preseason, playing domestic opposition (domestically).

Yeah, planning looks amazing !!
A game against Spam reserves, a wipeout and a game against hotel porters.
Brentford must be pooing themselves at our razor sharp preparation!!
Oh and travel half way round ghe world too !
If they don't get some extra games sorted, it could end up a mess.

Roma cancelled and now Leicester off isn't a full disaster but there is no fucking point in going to play a Singapore pub team now.

Those 2 games surely have to be replaced now and we need the time.

Edit: There are 2 games left in pre-season now. Nobody is counting a game against Lions Sailors of Singapore because the guys get a tougher workout against the u18's.

Means we go into the season opener having played 3 pre-season games.

Not trying to be hyperbolic but for a professional football club, that is a shambles.

Last edited:
Not trying to be hyperbolic but for a professional football club, that is a shambles.
So Roma withdraw and the pitch is unplayable against Leicester, but somehow this is a shambles of the club? Don’t let me get in the way of your circle jerk of negativity, but I think you’re overstating the importance of these preseason games. They are more marketing at this point than a real test of the players and system. They could always add another closed game when they are back home.

So Roma withdraw and the pitch is unplayable against Leicester, but somehow this is a shambles of the club? Don’t let me get in the way of your circle jerk of negativity, but I think you’re overstating the importance of these preseason games. They are more marketing at this point than a real test of the players and system. They could always add another closed game when they are back home.

The circumstances weren't their fault.

It's only a shambles if they don't adapt and do something about it.

If they leave it and go into Brentford after 3 meaningful pre-season games, that's shambolic preparation for a professional football team.

You may not like it because you want to argue against anything you see as negativity but regardless of who's fault it is, it IS a shambles.

The circumstances weren't their fault.

It's only a shambles if they don't adapt and do something about it.

If they leave it and go into Brentford after 3 meaningful pre-season games, that's shambolic preparation for a professional football team.

You may not like it because you want to argue against anything you see as negativity but regardless of who's fault it is, it IS a shambles.
So maybe you should give them more than an hour to figure it out?

BTW, they aren’t all part of this tour but we still play Lion City, Shaktar Donetsk, and Barcelona before the season starts.

So maybe you should give them more than an hour to figure it out?

BTW, they aren’t all part of this tour but we still play Lion City, Shaktar Donetsk, and Barcelona before the season starts.
You can't count Lion City as a meaningful pre-season game.

And they have had a lot longer than an hour to figure out how to replace the Roma game.

If they react and make it less of a shambles then fiar play. Let's hope they do.

Edit: question for you ILSpur ILSpur if Ange struggles to start the season are you going to be one of the first to defend Levy and get on the #AngeOUT train?

Edit: question for you ILSpur ILSpur if Ange struggles to start the season are you going to be one of the first to defend Levy and get on the #AngeOUT train?

The honest answer is that it all depends. I blame Levy and ENIC for things within their control, and I blame the coach and players for things in theirs. Unless we see something catastrophically wrong with our football like we saw quickly with Nuno, I’m giving Ange more than ample time to figure it out.

I am not a pro-Levy or ENIC person by any means, but I also don’t hunt for every opportunity to blame anything and everything on them. The never ending negativity and complaining is just exhausting.

The honest answer is that it all depends. I blame Levy and ENIC for things within their control, and I blame the coach and players for things in theirs. Unless we see something catastrophically wrong with our football like we saw quickly with Nuno, I’m giving Ange more than ample time to figure it out.

I am not a pro-Levy or ENIC person by any means, but I also don’t hunt for every opportunity to blame anything and everything on them. The never ending negativity and complaining is just exhausting.

Only if it's your personal mission to dispute it...

Never understand why anyone bothers to do that. It makes no difference. The only thing that will stop the negativity is the club doing it right and winning things.

if they sign Tapsoba and VDV watch the negativity go quiet. If they are winning games and playing good football same outcome. You posting on a forum will do nothing but stress you out

In this case does it matter if the shambles is Levy's fault? He's the leader of the club (by choice) if t is a mess he has to take responsibility for it, whether it's his fault or not.

And it is a mess.

Only if it's your personal mission to dispute it...

Never understand why anyone bothers to do that. It makes no difference.
Like your own personal mission? I assure you that for every post of mine pointing out the negativity, there are at least 50 circle jerk anti-Levy ones.

I can also assure you that the Levy complaining on here makes no difference at all, since you are concerned about making a difference or not.

You posting on a forum will do nothing but stress you out
Again, just like you? I’m anything but stressed out by this.

At the end of the day you are right that Levy does run the ship, so the final responsibility falls on him. But that also means that it’s not my ship nor yours so constantly being negative and complaining about it hoping for it to change because we yell into the ether doesn’t accomplish anything and just makes Supporting the club a chore.

Like your own personal mission? I assure you that for every post of mine pointing out the negativity, there are at least 50 circle jerk anti-Levy ones.

I can also assure you that the Levy complaining on here makes no difference at all, since you are concerned about making a difference or not.

Again, just like you? I’m anything but stressed out by this.

At the end of the day you are right that Levy does run the ship, so the final responsibility falls on him. But that also means that it’s not my ship nor yours so constantly being negative and complaining about it hoping for it to change because we yell into the ether doesn’t accomplish anything and just makes Supporting the club a chore.
You said it was exhausting. I maybe added the stressful part. To me they are quite similar.

Like I said, why engage in it?

The only way any of it changes is if the club starts getting things right.

I’ll be honest as well, maybe it’s unfortunate but the negativity is carrying some power at the moment. In 23 years I had never seen visual displays against ENIC like the balloons on the pitch or the way the social media posts of enic out took off.

They are an investment firm, they know exactly how powerful customer sentiment can be.

Spurs XI at the Lamex on Saturday.

Guessing will be the under 18/23s. Maybe senior players coming back from injury too?

Watch out for those Stevenage ultras though. Naughty.

LinedWellmadeJunebug-size_restricted.gif

Do we have the players to play this aggressive pressing kind of way......yes it can work if you have a bunch of unknown Aussies in the A league, or Japanese in the J League, or Scottish players in the SPL, but PL footballers are so pampered, so rich and very comfortable that it won't take long for them to get sick of the hard work and running. It will be very interesting to see how the players react to Angeball

Pep, Klopp, Poch, De Zerbi etc. etc. etc.

It's just what progressive managers are demanding these days.... Don't like it? Go sign for Atletico or Roma..... Or Luton.

Back
Top Bottom