Premier League TV Rights (2013-2015)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

116 live games on Sky :vdv:

38 live games on BT :saha:

No games on ESPN :ledley:

I'll be cancelling my ESPN subscription next year then. Only have that for the football. Wonder if BT will keep it exclusively on BT Vision or whether they will sell their channels on Sky too. Can see BT vision subscriptions going through the roof now!

The deal is a combined £3bn!! The previous deal was £1.7bn, so this is a huge increase! Also, BT are paying £6.4m per Premier League match!

On average, each team will get £150m. As a team nearer the top, we can expect a higher amount than that!! Unbelievable amount of money involved - transfer fees and wages will continue to rise sharply, but can't see ticket prices coming down... :levystare:

Re: Premier League TV Rights

Do BT have their own exclusive channels on BT Vision then?

My old man has BT Vision with Sky Sports and ESPN, always thought it was shite but if he cancels ESPN now he has a decent deal.

I've been looking into this and it's a shitter. Looks like you'll have to get a BT Vision box on top of your Sky or Virgin subscription.

I doubt they'll make the channels available on other platforms as they'll be trying to entice people to buy the BT Vision box.

Cunts.

Wren't Sky punished for trying to do that last year, when they removed SS1 and SS2 from Virgin? I imagine that the prem would have been conscious of it and made sure that it's available to everyone. It devalues the games if fewer people can watch them.

Raitei said:
Wren't Sky punished for trying to do that last year, when they removed SS1 and SS2 from Virgin? I imagine that the prem would have been conscious of it and made sure that it's available to everyone. It devalues the games if fewer people can watch them.
There's a difference though between removing your channels from other broadcasters to ensure exclusivity, and simply not adding your channels to other broadcasters.

Raitei said:
You can't force someone to make their channels available to other platforms. Sky Atlantic isn't available on Virgin and it's up to them entirely.

Schoolboy'sOwnStuff said:
linnet_spur said:
When BT realise that a handful of games that has cost them millions, isn't bringing in the subs, they will release a channel on Sky
They're a huge company with well-paid management consultancies and market research companies. They will have done the maths.

Setanta weren't exactly small and ESPN haven't been able to bid the money required for it either. Big companies can cock up. In fact they do it regularly.
36 games a season will not bring in enough subscriptions to make this worthwhile. I suspect they are either planning to broadcast on the internet as well, or just add a channel to Sky.

Either way, I know how I'll be watching the matches...... :vdvshh:

Schoolboy'sOwnStuff said:
Not really true. Otherwise we'd all stream instead of subscribing to Sky Sports.

I do get what they mean though...

As I mentioned my old man has it and it really is a shit system.

It's slow, requires broadband 24/7, and adapters for every plug socket you use it on: Hub, TV, Xbox etc. - if your broadband gets disconnected you have to reset it and if your adapters randomly stop working you get no TV, and no Internet to other devices until you replace the adapters which takes a few days to be sent through in the post after ringing up and trying to explain to an Indian call centre how many flashing lights and colours are on your thingymabob whatdyamacallits.

Honestly probably isn't worth the hassle if you have Sky and are happy with your current service. Spend the money on going to the pub or going to an extra game.

Back
Top Bottom