Priorities

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Its all about being in it, to win it. Win every game and see where it takes us.
PL is always on. Utd will slip up because of the CL. They will prioritise the CL and once they get a sniff of the last 8, they will go all out believing they can win it. City , we need divine intervention, a few injuries because they will struggle. Both City and Utd will prioritise the CL and will need all fit to cope with the demand of winning the thing. We will finish strong in the PL and that could see us over the line.

What are they now?

This is the Wembley season. Aren't we supposed to be lucky to make 6th this year?
Title challenge is a must, but winning it is still a huge expectation. We have no home.

No other team would be expected to win the PL playing 38 away games. This year is about pushing ourselves and growing.
We can still win silverware.

CL glory is a mere 7 games away, and three of them you can draw.....should really be our main target now in my opinion.

Thoughts?

I think that it will be more consolidation. The league cup was a possible just in terms of trophies but stupidly squandered although it was a quarter-final 8 fraught with tough games to be had.

The league is obviously possible but even after 11 games we are playing catch-up which is crazy..

Squad-wise I think we need just a bit more in terms of different options (Zaha and Barkley if we are talking British players) for example would be good additions I feel. I also think we need another striker who is able to be a viable option.

But if you look at yesterday at our game where we had no Alli, Wanyama, Alderweireld and Lloris and compare the starting line-up to an eleven we might have played last season (so those 4 plus another 3 or 4) it shows you our depth and quality.

We need to progress and that means getting even closer if we don't win anything.

Our priority must be to be even better.

Last edited:
Its all about being in it, to win it. Win every game and see where it takes us.
PL is always on. Utd will slip up because of the CL. They will prioritise the CL and once they get a sniff of the last 8, they will go all out believing they can win it. City , we need divine intervention, a few injuries because they will struggle. Both City and Utd will prioritise the CL and will need all fit to cope with the demand of winning the thing. We will finish strong in the PL and that could see us over the line.

Good post but I think both City and United under their respective managers will prioritise the league even though I believe the Champions League right now is as open as it has been for the last decade.

Good post but I think both City and United under their respective managers will prioritise the league even though I believe the Champions League right now is as open as it has been for the last decade.
JM at Utd will want to emulate what he did at Porto-First season win EL then win the CL the following season . Last season Utd fell short in the PL concentrating on the EL, I feel they will do the same this season. As long as we keep them both close, we can challenge. We are strong at the business end of the season.

We can dream about the CL but it's not going to happen, not yet anyway.

PL - long way still to go, the schedule in December could 'kill' a few clubs plus in Jan someone like City maybe have to face Caribou and FA Cup matches as well as league games. Still some hope but should be aiming for minimum of 3rd place.

FA Cup - we haven't enjoyed too much luck in it in recent decades let alone years. Sometimes that's the difference. It would be nice to win it but not something you can prioritise at least not until you've reached the last 8.

If we're all patient then trophies will come. Doesn't have to be this season or never. Media fallacy or bullshit as I call it!

COYS

Although a tall order, the "priority" has to be to win the league.

League.jpg

After reading the news today I didn't even realise we were in the top 6, let alone the top 3! Apparently Gooners have more of a chance than us, let's beat them away next game and I acutally think we could win the league this season, city will dip at some point, we just need to make sure we are there to capitalise, also getting Wanyama, Lamela and rose back in the squad and fit could make a huge difference, but we can't afford any more injuries!
Any way playing At Wembley the season was meant to be a write off, how spursy would it be to win the PL, CL and FA cup!
To dare is to do! Better to aim high and fail, to dare is to do!

For once in my life I think it's essential we rotate alot for the FA cup. It would be really nice to get a couple of easy rounds, playing the likes of Foyth, Vorm, Winks, Llorente, Sissoko KWP, Lamela, 2 wing backs, just leaves 2 more for the starting XI.

Mid Dec, we know who we're playing in the round of 16 CL. About the same time, we'll know the FA cup 3rd round.
Mid Feb, we'll have played first leg; FA cup 4th round will have been played, maybe 5th too
Mid March, 2nd leg. 5th round FA cup defo played, just before CL QF

If we can hang in for the first 2 rounds, we might be able to know how many fronts we can fight on. Clearly if we're out of the CL, then we can go balls out for FA cup. We'll be going balls out for CL whatever of course.

FA cup Semi is only a few days before the CL semi first leg. We'd need to be pretty lucky with draws and injuries to be involved with both at that stage. We've got the squad, if theyre all fit. Big ask with so many games.

I can see us getting to the CL QF. That 2nd leg takes place just before FA cup 6th round. Real crunch time. Sods law that we lose narrowly to a big boy in CL then, having given it our all. And then hope to hell we've got something left in the tank for a difficult FA 6th round.

That all assumes that our PL form has held up, and we are still well-placed in top 4. Hopefully within reach of the leader (prob Citeh).

What we really dont want is an early draw v Chavs or Goons where losing will feel horrendous.

Hopefully Goons will carry on being cack. There is a real opportunity for them in the PL this year. Theyre the only ones not in the CL, and they are clearly playing complete 2nd string in Europy.

Also. Hope the PL big boys all get through to the Caravan Cup semi, so they have big 2 legged head to heads.

Citeh v Yanited. Goons v Chavs. Lots of red cards and extra time/pens.

With the CL, I really feel that with luck with injuries and the draw, we really could go a long way. Maybe all the way. On our day, we can beat anyone.

We can dream about the CL but it's not going to happen, not yet anyway

Weren't we going to get pasted by Real Madrid twice?

We just showed that it is possible. Some kind draws and some top of our game performances and I believe we can beat anyone, Bayern, Juve and yes Barca.

Chelsea won it when they were shit, Leicester won the PL.

We're better than both

Last edited:
Comfortably qualify for the CL via the league (we're unlikely to win it while at Wembley) but we are well enough to be in the running and then finish second or third, but our main focus should be on winning the CL because we are good enough.

We're out of the shitty league cup. The FA cup we might as well take seriously but it's a lower priority.

League is not over. Under Poch we've always done very, very well around Christmas/New Year time. In fact, the last two seasons we have struggled somewhat up to mid-December- after losing to Man Utd away last season you'd have been sectioned for saying we would be in a title race. So if we continue with that pattern, I think we could have a great Christmas. I think we are fitter than most teams so when every team has to play the same amount of games it benefits us massively. We also have a better squad this year, though the amount of injuries has been worrying. Let's see how City perform over this period. If we can get a draw/win at the Etihad in December and then go on our usual run we can maybe narrow the gap to 3 or 4 points. Which is possible to overhaul with pretty much half the season left.

Having said that I think we will continue to drop points against the likes of Swansea etc. at Wembley, which I think will be the death of our title ambitions. Key will be these games but also getting some wins, not just draws, away at big sides, which has been a problem for years.

I think we have an excellent chance of getting top four though.

CL is probably about as likely to win as the league. No need to prioritise one or the other at this point. FA Cup remains the most likely option, but we may need to gamble on resting players in the first two rounds, so as not to lose ground in the league (because everyone else will do this). We got lucky with this last season, the West Ham game shows that it's okay to bring in one or two players, but a completely different team will tend to struggle regardless of the individual quality of the players.

Reading this thread makes me feel a lot less upset about being out the league cup. Ideally we want to win one of the other competitions. As has been said, let's hope City go the full distance in that competition. A semi final against Yanited would be perfect because they'd be pressure on them to play their best players in both legs, both from fans and also the Pep/Mourinho rivalry.

Love how this thread is open season for people to bang on about their own agendas. Bit like a Garth Crooks's team of the week, select a player just so i can peddle narrative on a vaguely related topic.

Special shout out to NW1Spur NW1Spur for managing to use it to get some Lamela digs in.

Priorities are subjective though, you cant please all the people all the time. The club have the unenviable task of trying to balance commercial priorities along with that of a passionate and often misguided supporter base that are heavily influenced by what they read / watch in the agenda driven mainstream media.

My personal view - realistically i think the league is too much of a stretch, our form just isnt good enough at "home". But i'm okay with that. Progress is clear, football is delightful at times, we will have some good results still. Qualify for the CL again and i'll be happy. Without playoffs would be a bonus as already said.

Cups... who knows, we seem to have improved our big game mentality this season, our new found counter attacking style against the big boys may have helped with this. Still, as usual with cups it is mainly down to the luck of the draw - example given: Two non league sides make it to the last 16 for the first time since the 19th century and the gooners draw them both.

CL we seem to be flying and long may it continue, realistically i cant see us beating teams like Barca or PSG even over two legs and we will need to do that to win it. Quarters or Semi's and i will be happy that we have shown a good account of ourselves in a competition that we are relatively fledgling.

Im probably alone in saying that if we finished the season trophyless i would be okay with that. A lot of supporters (not just the younger ones who have never seen us be "really" shit) seem to think that football is all about winning and for a lot of supporters its just not.

People up and down the country go and watch absolute dross on the weekend supporting their team through rain and sleet and snow. They do it out of the love of the game and for the comradery and for the sense of belonging and the connection and identity that supporting their football team gives them.

Poch and Levy have given Spurs supporters that back in droves. We have a stronger identify as a club than we have had for a long long time, we can hold our heads high that we play football the right way, we stress importance on developing talent from within and we have broken into the elite without buying our way in.

As supporters we have more of connection with the 11 people on the pitch than we have had in living memory for me. A lot of them have grown up being Spurs as we have. It's still marginal of course, as it always will be in the modern game where the players earn 4 x the average annual wage a week. But it's there.

That to me is more important than justifying ourselves to the masses with silverware.

Last edited:
Could depend on injuries to the De Bruyne team

I think realistically we can finish second but we can make significant progress in CL with a decent draw

No fluke against RM so we now have real respect from PSG and Barca

What are they now?

This is the Wembley season. Aren't we supposed to be lucky to make 6th this year?
Title challenge is a must, but winning it is still a huge expectation. We have no home.

No other team would be expected to win the PL playing 38 away games. This year is about pushing ourselves and growing.
We can still win silverware.

CL glory is a mere 7 games away, and three of them you can draw.....should really be our main target now in my opinion.

Thoughts?
The league should always be the priority.

Back
Top Bottom