Project Big Picture

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The fact that we are one the big clubs who make up the elite six makes it even worse.

Here is a radical concept - how about we retain the present power structure, we remove VAR and we revert back to the previous officiating rules.

How so? I mean, I'm entirely against it as it is... I don't see what diff. there'd be if I supported (eg) Burnley.

I can see why the proposals have been put forward, the 'strong' taking the initiative to strengthen their position even further, at the expense of the 'not-so-strong'. The PL is still reasonably competitive, the proposals are not conducive to that continuing.
We as a Club will definitely be up for this - wouldn't be surprised if the safe standing issue has been put forward by us. The proposals re away supporters is a good thing too. I also agree with the third bottom and third top being involved in a play off. But that's as far as I would want it to go.
Don't know what the point of a summer tournament every five years is all about. That's not a way to protect players from playing too many games, is it?!
Put the following words into a coherent sentence:
"in brewery a couldn't pissup a organise"

How so? I mean, I'm entirely against it as it is... I don't see what diff. there'd be if I supported (eg) Burnley.

That’s why:
  • Special status for the nine longest serving clubs – and the vote of only six of those “long-term shareholders” required to make major changes, including amending rules and regulations, agreeing contracts, removal of the chief executive, and a wide-ranging veto including on club ownership
The top 6 major will have complete control essentially. And those clubs are highly unlikely to lose that power base given this new criteria.

That’s why:
  • Special status for the nine longest serving clubs – and the vote of only six of those “long-term shareholders” required to make major changes, including amending rules and regulations, agreeing contracts, removal of the chief executive, and a wide-ranging veto including on club ownership
The top 6 major will have complete control essentially. And those clubs are highly unlikely to lose that power base given this new criteria.

I understand that perfectly, but how does that make matters "worse" for you or I?

Either as a Spurs fan you object regardless or it cushions the blow that we'd have increased power (as already stated, I'm in the former camp).

I understand that perfectly, but how does that make matters "worse" for you or I?

Either as a Spurs fan you object regardless or it cushions the blow that we'd have increased power (as already stated, I'm in the former camp).

Because our club is part of this grubbly little top 6 cartel. Just because it benefits our club doesn’t make it right or is that it is within the spirit of the game.

These foreign, normally american, owners absolutely love the Premier League as the sense of competition enables them to make returns on the their investment they clearly can't get elsewhere (otherwise why bother).......and yet they are constantly scheming to make the PL less competitive

I guess there's no surprise these talks surface the week after Liverpool and United both got thrashed....."NOT FAIR, IT'S OUR BALL AND WE ARE GOING HOME"

Scrapping the League Cup and removing 2 teams like Fulham and Sheffield United who are actually Championship clubs playing in the PL will remove at least 5 (max 11) fixtures from the footballing calendar. That's around 1-3 months of free midweeks. Unless FIFA/UEFA decide to take advantage of the more relaxed club calendar and fill it up with more pointless international matches, then I think it'll definitely benefit clubs like us and top players like Kane. Especially in the latter stages of the CL.

Because our club is part of this grubbly little top 6 cartel.

This is being spearheaded by TWO teams and we fall into the defined catchment of NINE clubs.....

Just because it benefits our club doesn’t make it right or is that it is within the spirit of the game.

I'm not claiming it does.... My questions seems to be getting lost in translation here... Forget about it.

You think so? Never say never, especially when there are potentially billions of pounds at stake.

Also three of the 'big' 9 clubs (west ham, everton and southampton) are always potential relegation contenders.
In that case go to 16 clubs and get rid of Fulham, West Brom, Brighton and Palace, who can never rise above a certain level in size.

This is being spearheaded by TWO teams and we fall into the defined catchment of NINE clubs.....

I'm not claiming it does.... My questions seems to be getting lost in translation here... Forget about it.

It will be completely backed by the top 6 - if you don’t think we would be fully behind this then you are being naive. You don’t have to defend the club on everything single point especially when it will try to reshape the league on its own favour at the expense of the game.

The fact that we are one the big clubs who make up the elite six makes it even worse.

Here is a radical concept - how about we retain the present power structure, we remove VAR and we revert back to the previous officiating rules.
Good idea but far too radical, they'd never go for it (unfortunately). Totally agree though, if it ain't broke don't try and fix it.

I think getting rid of the parachutte payments in favour of a share going to the EFL clubs in some more equal way is good. The parachutte payments basically mean that the clubs who get relegated have more chance of going straight back up. That means A) that we never get rid of West Ham permenantly. B) other clubs can't get promoted unless they are bankrolled by someone.

As one of the top six all seems good with us having more control, except I remember when the top six was a top four and we were not allowed in that club and it sucked how unfair that system was. It can't be right, can it. I can see an argument for clubs that have been in the league a long time having more power, but not total power with other clubs basically just being guests allowed to play with us but if we don't like something we can pick up our ball and go home.

Also, what happens when Woolwich get relegated eventually? Do they still get a vote in a league they are no longer in? No one seems to have thought this through.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom