PSV away - UCL Matchday 3

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Now that the dust has settled a little after last night's disappointing result, I'd like to share (for what it's worth) my big take away from the game. In the 10 minutes that remained followed the PSV equaliser, Spurs created 4 or 5 very good goal scoring opportunities. The pace quickened, the accuracy of the passing was improved and practically every play of the ball was forward. PSV were incapable of preventing us from getting down the flanks, through the middle and of getting shots/headers away. And this with only 10 players! Which led me to wonder whether our slow, predictable build-up play we are seeing this season may be a tactical decision rather than a result of the players being tired, jaded or simply playing worse. Judging from how we stepped up a gear and produced wave after wave of attacking frenzy in the latter stages yesterday - mirroring far more our game plan from last season - it's quite obvious the the players haven't forgotten how to play that way and are plainly still capable of producing it. I remember during the 20 minute spell in the second half when we were effortlessly controlling the match that there were 3 occasions when one of the midfielders' could have slipped the ball through to a Lucas or a Sonny to take on a stretched defence but the ball was shuffled wide or back, which has been the way for much of this season. Maybe I'm just reading too much into 10 minutes of football, but it appeared to me that when the reins are released and the boys do what's natural and instinctive, we become a much more effective and ATTRACTIVE team to watch and support. In my mind we are trying to be a Juventus when we should be emulating Manchester City. Yes you can win a match 1-0 and collect 3 points, but we're not terribly good at doing that and, as we saw last night and in several other games this season, you run the risk of being punished with a late goal. OR you can go out and score 3 first half goals and the game is as good as won. Against both Inter and PSV (who, let's face it, are both bang average), I reckon that with real attacking intent both results would have been favourably decided by half time.

He seems a different player with Belgium but long may it continue at OT
Wankers

When you consider the ammo Hazard & KDB serve up for him, i'm still left doubting him... I dunno the stats but suspect he comes up similarly wanting against more formidable international opposition.

Maybe I'm spoiled (see: HK), but my feelings stretch back to before he left Everton....

Put it this way; the only way is down from here.... He's not good enough to play for any of the other primo clubs.

Because going to the champions league is the be all of our board. If we don’t qualify we will spend more to qualify I think. Champions league gets us more money. But we need to be there.

This summer proves that does it?

3 yrs CL... We brought in about 10 players over the preceding 2 years... inc. breaking our trf record twice...

The year before that we were scratching around playing unproven academy players and making cheapo punts from MK & Sporting....

; )

Well the players didn’t get away with that performance we conceded the lead and now are most likely heading out of the competition, the referee on the other hand, made several wrong calls surrendering the impetus to them, incorrectly sent off one of our players etc, my question still stands despite your droll comment, how does any referee get away with such a poor performance
It's just my opinion mate. But I don't think Hugo was sent off wrongly, it was a blatant error of judgement by him and he deserved to get a red..

Sweet Jesus. What the fuck have we done with it?

cheese.jpg

It's just my opinion mate. But I don't think Hugo was sent off wrongly, it was a blatant error of judgement by him and he deserved to get a red..
Can’t argue if you think Lloris made a blatant error, in my opinion he made the correct decision to attempt winning the ball he just got it wrong, but there are set rules in football for a reason, his tackle while looking clumsy wasn’t reckless and there were 2 players ahead of the attacker. He was making a legitimate attempt to win the ball, his studs weren’t high, he wasn’t out of control, both feet did not leave the floor at the same time and he was not the last man. Not sure what deserves mean in your context of the rules but it’s not a red. Maybe your need to see him punished goes beyond the incident just saying.

It's not my need to blame Lloris as much as it is my need to not look at things through Lilywhite colored glasses.

If an identical play happens with Kane coming in and Alisson/DeGea/Kepa making the challenge, every one of you saying that Lloris shouldn't have been sent off would be screaming that Alisson/DeGea/Kepa should be. Hugo was put into a bad situation by a shit pass from Eriksen and Dier standing still as a statue while it was intercepted and played forward, but the simple fact is he made a poorly timed attempt with his left studs showing. I'd also suggest he came out too fast to begin with, like others have pointed out... Toby and Dave were right there.
I might definitely be on my feet baying at ref if the roles were reversed but I delight when we get a corner we shouldn’t, doesn’t mean either decision was or would have been correct. I can’t detail why it’s not a red ...again. His studs weren’t up, maybe you haven’t played football ever but I’m sure you’ve seen enough to differentiate between studs up and studs showing.
He may have been out too fast I’m not discussing technique, under the current laws of football that situation did not warrant a red card.

Can’t argue if you think Lloris made a blatant error, in my opinion he made the correct decision to attempt winning the ball he just got it wrong, but there are set rules in football for a reason, his tackle while looking clumsy wasn’t reckless and there were 2 players ahead of the attacker. He was making a legitimate attempt to win the ball, his studs weren’t high, he wasn’t out of control, both feet did not leave the floor at the same time and he was not the last man. Not sure what deserves mean in your context of the rules but it’s not a red. Maybe your need to see him punished goes beyond the incident just saying.
No I love Hugo, but in football nowadays if you breathe on someone for too long it's deemed a foul. By deserved I meant that he came rushing out didn't get the ball. It's a recipe for disaster definately in Europe.

Back
Top Bottom