Race for top 4 still on?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Considering the latest trend, it's not that unlikely that Serie A clubs will surpass the English ones in UEFA ranking next season, meaning that from 2016/17 only 3 spots would be eligible for CL in the Prem.

Since EL games are virtually equivalent to CL ones in terms of ranking contribution, I think that no English club should disregard the chance to compete in the EL, especially those as Tottenham for which the shift from a Top 4 CL to a Top 3 CL league would be very critical!

Our goal difference at this time of year seems to kill us every season
Sure does, for whatever reason unlike other clubs around us we never can put the weaker sides to the sword. In the past it has been our finishing and cutting edge that have let us down but I think this season it is more on the defense. Lost count of how many matches we were comfortable and conceded late goals.

I couldn't agree more. If our ultimate goal is to play in the Champions League wouldn't you want us used to playing two games in a week? There is no difference to playing Thursday/Sunday as opposed to Wednesday/Saturday

Secondly, it is a great way to utilise squad players. Kane probably wouldn't have gotten his chance if we were not in the EL this season. Not only him but it keeps our reserve players match fit for when we would need them to an injury to one of our starters. It could prove invaluable to players like Yedlin, Pritchard, Luongo, Onomah or whoever else is making the step up next season.

Lastly, it has that carrot of winning a trophy and CL sport dangling at the end of it. As I have posted before with the current financial situation of clubs at the top end of the table it will be very difficult for us to qualify through league finish.
There is a big difference between CL timetable and EL. EL is always Thursday. CL is either Tuesday or Wednesday plus you can still get a Sunday game after CL. Furthermore there is the additional travel that generally comes with EL that you just don't get with CL. No comparison really.

Sure does, for whatever reason unlike other clubs around us we never can put the weaker sides to the sword. In the past it has been our finishing and cutting edge that have let us down but I think this season it is more on the defense. Lost count of how many matches we were comfortable and conceded late goals.

It's because the weaker sides either contain most of our ex-players/Managers (like QPR, Hull and recently Villa) who can't wait to 'put one over on us, and prove a point' ...orrrrr they haven't scored/won for months (hence them being perceived as 'weaker' ...and the THFC Charity Roadshow rolls into town, gifting them an early lead, allowing them to break their duck, or score their first goal since Black & White TV, or whatever it is that prevents us tonking them 6-0, enough times a season to significantly improve our GD!!!

I'd given up on 4th weeks ago ...... and I think the team did too!! The EL is more of a realistic target, and although certain bits about it get on my t...nerves, it would be brilliant to win it again, heck any silverware would be brilliant, they're the occasions you remember with great feeling.

Palace away won't be easy for United. Then they have to face in form Woolwich before ending the season away at Hull who could be needing something to stay up.

Back
Top Bottom