Ratings - Everton (A)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ArcspacE

ENIC OUT NOW !!! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
Lloris - 7 - solid hands

Walker - 7 - little wrong
Gallas - 5 - shockorama
Caulker - 6 - ok
Verts - 7 - unlucky not to score

Lennon - 6 - completely neutralised by the excellent Baines
Sandro - 7 - beast
Dembele - 7 - MotM
Demspey - 7 - vital goal, great graft

Defoe - 6 - worked hard
Ade - 5 - poor

Hudd - 6 - some neat passes
Sigurdsson - 6 - almost scored

LLoris: 6 safe most game with good saves thrown in. but unsure about their 1st goal, didn't look comfortable.

Walker: 5 Comfortable most of the came, but then struggles in and around our box.
Gallas: 4 increasingly looking overmatched in this league
Caulker: 5 Probably his worst game this season. Suspect clearences.
Vertonghen: 6 To be honest I think he did well out of position. The left side problems was due to Dempsey.

Lennon: 5 Almost invisible going forward but good defensive shift again. Looks like he needs a rest. Struggles with finding the right positions pressing at times.
Dembélé: 7 Best player on the pitch, comfortably. Despite being outmanned in midfield and pressed hard, he did what he could. Better defensive shift than I recall from him earlier. MOM
Sandro: 6 Impossible not to like, one of the best ball winners of the league. The reason he gets a 6 is because at times he drops so deep into our defence, that we surrender the area in front of the box. Has to be addressed.
Dempsey: 5 Only the goal saves him from a 4. In patches you saw the quality, but most game he positioned and ran into the wrong places and mistimes everything. Contributed to Evertons total rightfield dominance. Not good enough.

Adebayor: 4 One of those games where he barely looks a pro footballer. Despite being massively important to our passing game, he had such a heavy touch and kept making the wrong decisions, rushing through a deep pass where he should have held it, and hawking the ball, when he should have flicked it on. Doesn't look fit at all.
Defoe: 4 Was not in the game at all. Awful performance. He is such a poor outlet and still doesn't not understand how to find space and function in a pass-and-move team, when we just need to maintain possession. If it wasn't because we have no wingers rated by the manager bar Bale and Lennon he should have been dropped for games like this to maintain our 4-3-3 instead. If Parker is fit next game, I'd drop him anyway without a whisker of a doubt.

What exactly is Ade's role?

I assumed it was to create scoring chances in front of the net and bags goals

Which brings me to yesterday an his stroll around the park as a Central midfielder who doesn't have the attributes of a CM. Watching him do circles in possession and his turnovers or back passes was extremely frustrating

Yeah, it migh have made sense last yea when h stood next to the likes of VDV n Modric. But both of them are long gone. Adebayor needs to be much more direct. He needs to be further up the pitch. I'm not sure if this is his doing or AVB 's tactics, but it clearly needs to change. Quickly.

The rest of the lot. A very solid 90 minutes in a difficult environment. And extremely unlucky between Siggu finding woodwork n the miscommunication tween Caulker n Lloris. These types of games happen and just need to bounce back vs Swansea.

Jesus Christ I hate it when everyone gets all knee-jerky.

Adebayor's first real PL game of the year (no, I don't count 15 minutes against Woolwich) and people are waxing philosophical about his place in the team, criticizing his style of play, questioning his motivation, etc.

Everyone chill the fuck out. We all had one big collective orgasm last season with his performances and his style of play. So... what? We've seen him play one game in the league and all of a sudden he doesn't work in the team anymore?

He's a form player and he needs minutes to regain his match fitness.

Ade was a huge component of our team last season.

I don't believe we could attract/afford anyone better than him at the moment.

Lloris - 7.5

Walker - 7
Gallas - 5.5
Caulker - 6.5
Vertonghen - 7

Lennon - 6.5
Sandro - 6.5
Dembele - 7.5
Dempsey - 7

Defoe - 5.5
Ade - 6

Siggy - 7

Lloris - 7.5

Walker - 7.5
Gallas - 7
Caulker - 6.5
Vertonghen - 6.5

Sandro - 7
Dembele - 7.5

Dempsey - 6.5
Lennon - 6

Defoe - 5
Adebayor - 6

Subs:

Huddlestone - 6
Sigurdsson - 6

Lloris - 7
Walker - 6
Gallas - 5
Caulker - 6
Vertonghen - 7
Lennon - 6
Sandro - 6
Dembele - 7
Dempsey - 7
Defoe - 6
Adebayor - 4
Huddlestone - 5
Sigurdsson - 6​

Jesus Christ I hate it when everyone gets all knee-jerky.

Adebayor's first real PL game of the year (no, I don't count 15 minutes against Woolwich) and people are waxing philosophical about his place in the team, criticizing his style of play, questioning his motivation, etc.

Everyone chill the fuck out. We all had one big collective orgasm last season with his performances and his style of play. So... what? We've seen him play one game in the league and all of a sudden he doesn't work in the team anymore?

He's a form player and he needs minutes to regain his match fitness.

-->Again, its about getting the tactics for a fixture correct.

Vs the minnows at Home --> Ade canoodling around the pitch in possession makes total sense. He'll have the time & space to thrive in this type of attack.

But Vs the better clubs away --> He won't have the time or the space. You saw this at City & yesterday. He was getting pressed the entire game and it was poor tactics.

Modric and VDV are long gone........Bale was out y'day. Working a possession-orientated attack thru Ade made little sense vs a club like Everton in Goodison.

For these situations, Spurs should be really much more direct......Move Defoe to the bench, move Ade into the line-up and roll w/ Carroll possibly.

Either way, moving forward, when Parker moves back , hoping to see Dembele move up in this CAM role and rolling w/ Adebayor in front of him. ........Ade............Bale.....Dembele........AL......Parker......Sandro. That Front 6 would thrive. IMO

PhillyHotspur PhillyHotspur

Lloris - 6 - Probably should have done better with the first goal but did keep us level in the first half
Walker - 8 - keeps getting better this season, attacking threat too
Gallas - 7 - solid, some good clearances and didn't do much wrong
Caulker - 5 - poor decision to clear for their first goal, cost us three points
Vertonghen - 6 - caught out a bit by Coleman, not his best performance but still steady
Lennon - 6 - quiet today. didn't see enough of the ball
Sandro - 7 - kept Fellaini pretty quiet. we won that battle in the middle.
Dembele - 7 - linked play well, few sloppy passes but generally a good performance
Dempsey - 7 - nice to see him playing with confidence and scoring. looks totally different to 6 games ago
Defoe - 5 - pretty ineffective, starved of service and didn't make much happen himself
Adebayor - 4 - one of the worst games i've seen him have for Spurs
Huddlestone - 4 - stupid little flicks and tricks, not tracking runners into the box. not good enough
Sigurdsson - 6 - good little cameo, made good runs off the ball and unlucky not to score.

Lloris - 7 - Cant fault him for either goal. Good hands and positioning throughout
Walker - 6 - susceptible around the box. otherwise a solid performance both going forward and at the back
Gallas - 4 - Out of position way too often. Overmatched throughout. Barely cleared Mirallas' poor cross in the first half that should have found the back of the net.
Caulker - 5 - Solid in the air against Fellaini. At fault for goal number 1, should have let it through to lloris.
Vertonghen - 6 - could do nothing to stop the tricky Mirallas, no help from Dempsey though. Much better in second half after Mirallas was taken off.
Sandro - 7 - Fantastic shift in the middle. Constantly breaking up play. Wayward with his passing though.
Dembele - 8 - Best player on the pitch. Ref did not help at all with not blowing the whistle many times after drawing a foul. Made the most of nothing throughout.
Dempsey - 7 - Not good tracking back. Drew many fouls, good with the ball, got us the vital goal to put us ahead.
Ade - 3 - Terrible. Constantly made the wrong decision with the ball. Hard touches. Wayward passing. Horrible hold up play. Tired of seeing his lackadaisical performances. Hope to see a new face taking his spot in January.
Defoe - 5 - Not in the game at all. Had no supply, nothing he could do about it.

Subs:
Huddlestone - 4 - Bad passing, not marking players, terrible tackles, no pace at all. Would much rather see Carroll instead of him in the midfield.
Sigs - 7 - made the most of his cameo with a wicked shot off the crossbar, very unfortunate. Looks to be improving along with Dempsey, things are looking up.

Did my best to drown this one from the memory but I'll give it a go...

Lloris - 6

Walker - 7 - Improving
Gallas - 6 - He does recover well sometimes but he is really not a captain
Caulker - 5.5
Vertonghen - 6

Lennon - 6
Sandro - 7
Dembele - 7.5
Dempsey - 6.5 - Improving, although the left side was gaping open

Defoe - 5.5 - Tried to give the midfield an option and track back a bit but fluffed his one chance
Adebayor - 5 - Looked disinterested

Subs:
Huddlestone - 5 - Invites pressure
Sigurdsson - 6.5 - Improving

Lloris - 7
Walker - 7
Gallas - 6
Caulker - 6
Vertonghen - 7
Lennon - 6.5
Sandro - 6.5
Dembele - 7
Dempsey - 7
Defoe - 6
Adebayor - 5
Huddlestone - 5
Sigurdsson - 6

Vertonghen gets 6 for his positive attacking play - he was horrific against Mirallas in the first half with little help from Dempsey.

Mirallas was laying the nut on those two - we were lucky he went off injured. Dempsey's impersonation of left wing was beginning to be found out

Great player - wish we went for him instead of Sigurdsson to be honest.

I do not want to disrespect anyones opinion, but I simply do not understand how people can rate Defoe higher than Adebayor in this game.

Despite being very poor, Adebayor still provides the outlet (although one with poor decisionmaking) and still moves around and creates space in games like this. Compare with Defoe, who did absolutely nothing on the ball and even less off it.

In the comparative ratings, it seems extremely fair that Adebayor should be punished for trying and failing, while Defoe barely broke a sweat nor touched the ball all game.

Agreed, but I was very, very impressed by that one time Defoe tracked backed and closed down their right winger, all the way to our left corner. Chased his ass down like a damn terrier. I thought he must be playing left back for a minute!

Agreed, but I was very, very impressed by that one time Defoe tracked backed and closed down their right winger, all the way to our left corner. Chased his ass down like a damn terrier. I thought he must be playing left back for a minute!

I was very impressed by that too, but:

1. He had got himself a booking and then made that somewhat needless sliding tackle - my heart was in my mouth for a second.
2. I was very surprised, which I think says a lot.

Back
Top Bottom