Retro Spurs photos

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Struggling to name the blond chap talking to Cliffie. Thought it was Peter Baker at first glance, but that's Baker next to the mystery man.
Think it is Medwin, as just googled him, and the same picture is in all the photos of him and not in the pictures under Dyson.
Dyson was much smaller than the others 5ft 3( pocket rocket, terrier tyke from the Yorkshire village of Malton. I remember he was once in trouble with the police about some stolen ciggies

Hunter Davies mentioned that in his book, IIRC, and they also started a synchronized training routine before the game.
Was at Leeds the day they first did that routine, 1972 FA cup quarter final. I think also they had their names on the back of the tracksuits, a first as well. Beat us 2-1.
We had 5 train loads of fans there that day, obviously it went off after the game, ;).

Was at Leeds the day they first did that routine, 1972 FA cup quarter final. I think also they had their names on the back of the tracksuits, a first as well. Beat us 2-1.
We had 5 train loads of fans there that day, obviously it went off after the game, ;).
I recollect their showboating against Southampton a fortnight earlier.

That pitch...I doubt there is an inch of grass.

Just love that man's voice, reminds me of going to the pictures with my mum ,dad and brother,his was the voice that came on in the intermission doing the newsreel. God I must be old. All seater stadia changed football forever but standing terraces were no fun if you were tiny, couldn't see over the person in front of you. Spent the game on tippytoes peeping out between the heads of the fellas in front. Happy days

FA Cup Quarter Final match at Elland Road.

Leeds United 2 v Tottenham Hotspur 1. Leeds's Billy Bremner is attended to by the team physio after he was injured in a fight with Mike England as referee Jack Taylor tries to calm the angry situation down between the two sets of players. 18th March 1972. (Photo by Daily Mirror/Mirrorpix/Mirrorpix via Getty Images).....
F8545-EB4-A7-DF-4961-AF39-FEAF3968-E11-A.jpg

FA Cup Quarter Final match at Elland Road.

Leeds United 2 v Tottenham Hotspur 1. Leeds's Billy Bremner is attended to by the team physio after he was injured in a fight with Mike England as referee Jack Taylor tries to calm the angry situation down between the two sets of players. 18th March 1972. (Photo by Daily Mirror/Mirrorpix/Mirrorpix via Getty Images).....
F8545-EB4-A7-DF-4961-AF39-FEAF3968-E11-A.jpg
Karma, dirty little bastard, liked dishing out, not so good at taking it back.

We had our yellow and blue kit on that day.

When you say “obviously it went off after the game” your meaning the fans had a bit of aggro! in that era I know we had a reputation but was it basically everybody v everybody Leeds, Tottenham, Chelsea, Millwall etc or did teams have particular “enemies“ as who’d they’d look forward to squaring up with?

When you say “obviously it went off after the game” your meaning the fans had a bit of aggro! in that era I know we had a reputation but was it basically everybody v everybody Leeds, Tottenham, Chelsea, Millwall etc or did teams have particular “enemies“ as who’d they’d look forward to squaring up with?
All the London clubs didn't like one another, especially they didn't like usl. Same as today. As you say it was everybody against everybody, North v South. At that time London was always ahead in fashion, so when we up north with Spurs , they new by our dress that we were " cockneys". You had to be careful in scouse land as they'd try to nick your clothes.
Good Times though. A few others on this thread will tell you.

All the London clubs didn't like one another, especially they didn't like usl. Same as today. As you say it was everybody against everybody, North v South. At that time London was always ahead in fashion, so when we up north with Spurs , they new by our dress that we were " cockneys". You had to be careful in scouse land as they'd try to nick your clothes.
I watched a documentary a few years back and football hooligans in 70s and a Man Utd fan was being interviewed and he said that on one occasion they bought Leeds Utd scarves and ambushed them at a Leeds game admitted it wasn’t very sportsman like but hey ho.....

The dreaded;
"Got the time mate" scenario.

3473f481-6cd7-4fe3-8168-4c51b68e8956

My two favourite clubs in action. My local team Lyn playing Spurs in Oslo at 1st round of the UEFA-cup, september 1972. Lyn is currently playing at 4th tier in the Norwegian league after bankruptcy in 2009. A dream for me to see the sides play again at some time, but that seems very far away at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom