Sandro

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Funny thing is, Sherwood said this in March:

"Sandro is obviously the leader. He's a great example of that. He leads on the pitch. If you asked any Tottenham fan which player gives their all every single game on pitch, Sandro would be first.

"I am never going to burn bridges with players. They have an opportunity to respond. They know what's required."

ok so now it's embarrassing to try and stick up for our manager when I don't think he's done much wrong. brilliant.

I like Tim's honesty and I like the fact he doesn't pussyfoot around things and he says things as they are (even though he sometimes takes it a bit too far). If I think he's done something wrong I'll say but if I think he's not done anything wrong, I''ll say and "defend" him.

Anyway this is the Sandro thread so let's talk about how much of a beast he is. Then we can talk about how long he's out through injury afterwards.

It's funny, nobody ever says they like Tim because of his managerial skills.

I love Sandro, but I don't know if he will ever recover to his optimum best. We miss his leadership, as we are not exactly rich in that department (Kabul apart).
I do find Sherwood's man management methods strange. We all have to face or give bad news in life, but the way you do it can make all the difference in its receipt. Players know that the EPL is all about big squads and rotation, and only 11 can start a game, so they have to be adult and professional about team selection; equally the manager needs to treat the players not playing with respect and professionalism.

A reasonably fit Sandro should of walked into our team today. Chadli as a centre midfielder in a pair doesn't work, he's much more effective as a number ten or at the point of a trio. Sandro would of made that game look a lot easier had he been on. And that's even at the 60% form/fitness hes been at for about 16 months. Our whole club though definitely need media training, just a mass mug off at the moment.

I dont disagree with what Sherwood said. He just said it in a cunty manner(or). Sandro has not been as good as his competition for CM this season.
It isn't about the words Sherwood has said per se, but it is about the fact that Sherwood is very verbal to the press about the players. He has spent months deriding his squad, declaring players in the process to be average or unreliable. When a fit player of quality like Sandro fails to even make the bench then that player will start to think that Sherwood thinks he is one of those average and unreliable players. This isn't the first time there have been such rumblings, with Paulinho speaking out just a few weeks ago.

A manager has to retain the respect of his players to survive. Once you start alienating even parts of the squad you are sowing the seeds of discontent and division, which can have a negative impact on dressing room spirit. Retaining the loyalty and respect of your players is key to survival in the role because once you've lost too much of the squad your role is untenable. He's only been doing the job for five months and he's got discontent already. It's all very well for him to declare himself honest and opinionated, and for people to lap this up as "refreshing", but no matter how true some of what he is saying may be, anyone who has ever had a position of responsibility knows that words and actions have consequences. That is what Sherwood seems oblivious to. Sandro, just like any other players, needs to be managed not just on the field, but off it as well. That means Sherwood needs to retain the respect of players, even when they aren't being picked. He has clearly failed to do that, and with Paulinho and Sandro already being disgruntled so soon into Sherwood's tenure, it's clear that Tim doesn't know how to effect such man management.

It's like we're not allowed to enjoy a victory any more....
Summit ALWAYS comes along to undermine or spoil it!
Today, it's Sandro-Tweetgate!

I dont disagree with what Sherwood said. He just said it in a cunty manner(or). Sandro has not been as good as his competition for CM this season.

Sandro should not be on twitter disrespecting the manager end of story, if he gets left out then he should fight harder for his place. This season Sandro, verts, rose, dembele the attitude has not been good enough from our players, when eriksen was left out he didn't have a melt down. Next manager might have to take a few players out the back and shoot them, this bollock is undermining team spirit.

Don't underestimate the feeling of not being appreciated by the coach.
It IS silly of Sandro to tweet like he has done today, it does no good whatsoever, but I can get his frustration. First being out for a year and then slowly getting back to match fitness, struggling on and off the pitch and then having the manager not believe in you. It takes its toll.

I remember when my I got a new coach when I was 14 that didn't fancy me. Going from one of the best players in the team, always first on the team sheet to a manager that didn't even bother to learn my name. Fucking hell, I put in monstrous shifts in training, was always there early and never moaned and gave it my all when I got the chance. Still he had just decided from the start what was and what wasn't. I wanted to cut his fucking head off!

I'm not saying this is what has happened to Sandro or that Sherwood has overlooked him, especially since Sandro's been pretty poor when he's played this season. I just want to point out that when football is your everything, you are going to be extremely frustrated and if you feel provoked you might do something you wish you hadn't.

I quit playing football. I wish I hadn't, but that coach just sucked all passion out of me and my focus from school and football to parties and girls. So when I got my passion back, I was a mess and didn't feel like risking ending up in the same situation again.

As poor (by his own standards) as Sandro's been this season, the surprising thing about Tim dropping him is that in all those games where the rest of the team drops their heads and we get slaughtered, Sandro kept on fighting. One would've thought that someone with Tim's disposition would have him as first name on the team sheet

Back
Top Bottom