Set Pieces & Corners

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's so frustrating that considering we have so many free kicks and corners awarded to us, we still aren't taking advantage of this! Only last year due to Bale did we actually convert a few free kicks but this is and has been, a major Spurs weakness for so many seasons, it's ridiculous that no one has addressed it fully from a coaching perspective.

We certainly need to defend better from corners and free kicks but most importantly, we create so many opportunities due to our style of play which end up getting us alot of corners and free kicks but I'm amazed non of our coaches have spent enough time making us practice over and over on this part of our game.

In Italy, Germany and Spain especially, almost any free kick within 25 yards of goal is a scoring opportunity, whilst I don't need to remind any fan of English football about the amount of work managers like Allardyce puts into practicing set pieces, getting second bounce opportunities etc.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting we change our style of play to copy Big Sam but adding this to our portfolio would be a worthwhile thing, surely mixing things up, to actually take advantage of the opportunities which our game play affords us is common sense?

So rather than playing a round of golf, the players should be encouraged to continually practice corners and free kicks, in fact it should be written into all their contracts, goal bonuses for successful set piece conversions!

This has been a problem for several seasons. It was even worse under Redknapp - in one game we had 20 odd corners and made nothing of any of them. I dont think our corners were much better last season.
FKs under AVB with Bale, it was clearly a lot better. Now he is gone I dont know who our best FK taker is, but it isn't Townsend (yet) so I hope the team figure out who it is (or they are) and make something more of them. It means goals and ultimately points, so it is important. Same from corners. I think with Eriksen it looks better in terms of delivery (it was terribly predicatable under VDV a couple of seasons ago) but I still hope (perhaps in vein) that the coaching side of things sorts out what our players are supposed to do on corners to get more goals in the back of the net.

Surprised that Gylfi doesn't take more of our set pieces. I'm going to sound like a right knob, but he does have a good rating on Football Manager for corners and free kicks and stats on that game are pretty realistic.

The thing that surprises me is that there doesn't seem to be a clear hierarchy when it comes to set pieces. All of a sudden Kyle Walker steps up.. and after a few tries Gylfi has a go..then Holtby.. etc etc. I would be happy if Eriksen took all of our free kicks and corners. The thing is, if a player knows he's first choice he will feel less pressure to succeed, as opposed to having two chances and then someone else takes his place.

Is there enough room on this board for two fictional drug dealers played Al Pacino?

Surprised that Gylfi doesn't take more of our set pieces. I'm going to sound like a right knob, but he does have a good rating on Football Manager for corners and free kicks and stats on that game are pretty realistic.

So you don't need me to say it!

FOOTBALL MANAGER IS A COMPUTER GAME ... LISTEN TO YOURSELF!!!

I'd always hope we'd do enough in games without relying on set pieces but that's in some kind of footballing utopia.

It would certainly be good to see that 'dimension' added to our bow though cause there will no doubt be games like the Cardiff one throughout the season where maybe someone flinging themselves at a corner or free kick will prove to be the difference.

The free kick yesterday was just right-of-centre so favoured Towsend's left foot (obvious, I know).

Other than within shooting range on the right, I'd expect Eriksen to take all our free kicks this season.

According to Squawka, we scored 10 goals from set pieces last season, which puts us in 18th place in the league. Don't have the stats for 2011/2012, but i think we were even worse at set pieces back then; so yes, this is an issue that needs to be addressed, we need to improve if we want to be contenders.

http://www.squawka.com/teams/totten...ague#season-2012/2013#2#all-matches#1-38#type

http://www.squawka.com/football-tea...n-2012/2013#0#90#any#any#season#1#all-matches

10 goals from set pieces. That means we had like 2 goals from corners... That is god awful. We had the best free kick taker in the PL and we still were 18th worst.

Back
Top Bottom