Set Pieces & Corners

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Does somebody know how many goals Barcelona scored from corners in La Liga last season? Just wondering..

Going to assume that the number is 0 or very low. I'm going to say that the best player we have had in a long, long time would struggle to get into their team consistently. We can't rely on having the best striker in the world and some of the best midfielders in the world constantly controlling and playing him the ball. Corners are something we have to capitalize.

Going to assume that the number is 0 or very low. I'm going to say that the best player we have had in a long, long time would struggle to get into their team consistently. We can't rely on having the best striker in the world and some of the best midfielders in the world constantly controlling and playing him the ball. Corners are something we have to capitalize.
I totally agree, but the way AVB wants us to play is a bit similar to how Barca play. Maybe set pieces is just not a priority with him? Add some clever variations of cornertaking and we have a few more goals each season I would think.

Constantly recycling possesion, and winning the ball back as quickly as possible when we lose it are two similarities that come to mind. I haven't seen Barca play under their new coach though..I'm talking Pep/Tito days.
I see that but I think there the similarity more or less ends. The importance of physical strength in the Spurs team is a very big difference - Barça could never be called an aggressive team. The very high line and sweeper/keeper is also a substantial difference. And most importantly, we don't have a Xavi Hernandez player, with which everything passes through nor would one fit in our system.

I see that but I think there the similarity more or less ends. The importance of physical strength in the Spurs team is a very big difference - Barça could never be called an aggressive team. The very high line and sweeper/keeper is also a substantial difference. And most importantly, we don't have a Xavi Hernandez player, with which everything passes through nor would one fit in our system.
Barca played a very high line and Valdez was stood half way into his own half most of the time... One of the key features of Pep's Barca team was the high pressure and squeezing of the avaliable area...

I totally agree, but the way AVB wants us to play is a bit similar to how Barca play. Maybe set pieces is just not a priority with him? Add some clever variations of cornertaking and we have a few more goals each season I would think.
That seems detrimental to the team then, because if we're as bad as we are through not practising then that lack of practise is wasting goal scoring opportunities. Set pieces may not be incredibly important to us, but we get a fair few corners and free kicks, not trying to capitalise on that is crazy.

Back
Top Bottom