Sheff Utd vs Yid Army FA Cup Wed 1 March 2023

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When we won the mickey mouse cup in 1999 and 2008 we were derided because it was a second rate, small time, mickey mouse cup.
United win it and it's like winning the world cup ffs.
So who is right? Those that deride it or those that think it is good? I am with those that think it is good. Alan Shearer said before the match that winning a trophy was more important to Newcastle than getting top 4.

So who is right? Those that deride it or those that think it is good? I am with those that think it is good. Alan Shearer said before the match that winning a trophy was more important to Newcastle than getting top 4.
That's because the financial benefits of Newcastle making top 4 don't matter to them. Quite the opposite to us (for better or worse).

That's because the financial benefits of Newcastle making top 4 don't matter to them. Quite the opposite to us (for better or worse).

1 game a week again next season will likely benefit them more than a run in Europe (regardless of competition) too.......

Who is us? Levy and the board or Fans and players like Kane that want a trophy? We have achieved top 4 many times but not won a trophy for a few years. That changes priorities for me.

It doesn't matter who is right. What matters is there is only one single opinion on the trophy not matter who the fuck it is that wins it.
That's what grinds my gears. We win it and we're embarrassing for being happy. They win it and they go on a fucking celebratory bender, and all their media mates are making sure it's a big deal.
If Newcastle had won it, mark my words, there would have been a documentary made about it.

When we won the mickey mouse cup in 1999 and 2008 we were derided because it was a second rate, small time, mickey mouse cup.
United win it and it's like winning the world cup ffs.
Probably because we were mediocre those seasons while United are clearly building something and will challenge for titles in the future.

Who is us? Levy and the board or Fans and players like Kane that want a trophy? We have achieved top 4 many times but not won a trophy for a few years. That changes priorities for me.

In simple terms our consistent CL under Poch paid for around 1/3rd of our new stadium..... NC could drop a billion in cash tomorrow if they felt like building one and not even notice...... That's the difference.

The emphasis upon CL for organically growing clubs is just a sad byproduct of doping and modern football.

Probably because we were mediocre those seasons while United are clearly building something and will challenge for titles in the future.

I gotta be honest... I don't even recall those cup wins being ridiculed.

I do agree though that if we won anything other than a big trophy (i.e. EPL or CL) now, the modern 'Spurs trophies LOL' meme wouldn't die.

Because they don't need the money. They have unlimited cash. Top 4 is so important to us because of the revenue it generates.

No fucking about, strongest possible 11.

Fuck the 4th place trophy I want a real trophy and this is our best hope.

This is not going to be an easy game, let's not forget Middleborough last year

Strongest 11. Maximum intensity. No excuses.

In simple terms our consistent CL under Poch paid for around 1/3rd of our new stadium..... NC could drop a billion in cash tomorrow if they felt like building one and not even notice...... That's the difference.

The emphasis upon CL for organically growing clubs is just a sad byproduct of doping and modern football.
That was then, priorities change. No point having a nice new stadium with a competitive team if we do not win anything. I will be pissed off if we lose tomorrow but Whilst I was pissed off with losing to Southampton, not as much as it does not matter in the longer term as we can still get top 4. You only get 1 chance in a cup and you have to take it.

I want the trophy more than the top 4, which was quite the opposite of let's say 2016, when I thought the stability of top 4 was more important.

It's not the same for the board.
Why does have to be one or the other? We should try to get both.

Our stadium should be hosting champions league football against the elite clubs.

We should also be competing for trophies and even winning some every so often.

That was then, priorities change.

Modern football landscape is still the same... If not worse than ever in this respect.

No point having a nice new stadium with a competitive team if we do not win anything. I will be pissed off if we lose tomorrow but Whilst I was pissed off with losing to Southampton, not as much as it does not matter in the longer term as we can still get top 4. You only get 1 chance in a cup and you have to take it.

You see the irony here don't you?

Back
Top Bottom