Should we play a sweeper keeper at home?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

LLB Part Deux

"The man who fucked up TFC" - Mick Cooper
Barca have proved it to be a viable tactic - particularly against the weaker teams that we suffer against.

At Barca, Valdes operates for most of the match in a traditional central defenders position while defenders adopt a defensive midfield role - reducing the gap between them and the midfield that we tend to leave waaaaaay too open. Opposition teams know that if they get penned in at WHL that an out-ball played into the gap between our midfield and defence will cause chaos yet we see ourselves get sucker punched all too often by this tactic.

Clearly, a move to sweeper keeper would mean benching Brad 'Random Punt' Friedel - but I feel that the ability to play as a sweeper should be a fundamental compondent in our search for his replacement.

Would you like to see it tried? Have we really got a possession game good enough to make it work? Am I too bored at work?

Alternatively, my OP does say that we'd need to ditch Brad to make the system work - and specifically recruit a replacement with good mobility and distribution...

I usually feel that we have a better chance getting a ball to one of our players from an opposition pass than from Brad. Not as bad as Sullivan was, but almost.

The OP also says against weaker teams. I know the dippers are shite but I'm not sure the idea was to use it against the likes of Suarez lol

Back
Top Bottom