Simple football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Another pro-Arry / pro 4-4-2 / anti-AVB piece, come on mate - spin a new one.

Yeah, yeah, we all know it by now - AVB was a sly fraudster sent by Chelsea to destory us and Sherwood using Redknapp's 4-4-2 (which Sherwood has barely used anyway) is the saviour prodigal son left by Arry himself to save us from relegation and basically continue his legacy while proving we were all so wrong with the previous approach of tactical emphasis. Let's just run around a bit and score more than them.

What happens when Timmy regresses to mean just like every other manager? If he wins it's due to his astute managerial acumen and hyper- intelligence but if he loses that would be due to his managerial inexperience? I see now..

He's here till the summer and the early league results are encouraging albeit against some of the weakest teams on current form. I also like his positive approach in general and even though wish he wasn't with us - would still like to see how it all pans out and feel he should be left alone till May and re-evaluated then.

But true as nuts - not sure why we have to constantly polarise his numbers and general approach against AVB's. Did you know statistically we created more chances per game this season under the Portuguese? We simply couldn't convert to save our lives.

Last edited:
But true as nuts - not sure why we have to constantly polarise his numbers and general approach against AVB's. Did you statistically we created more chances this season under the Portuguese?
he was our manager for just under half of this season so it's natural that the new guys results will be compared to his.

Another pro-Arry / pro 4-4-2 / anti-AVB piece, come on mate - spin a new one.

Yeah, yeah, we all know it by now - AVB was a sly fraudster sent by Chelsea to destory us and Sherwood using Redknapp's 4-4-2 (which Sherwood has barely used anyway) is the saviour prodigal son sen left by Arry himself to save us from relegation and basically continue his legacy while proving we were all so wrong with the previous approach of tactical emphasis. Let's just run around a bit and score more than them.

What happens when Timmy regresses to mean just like every other manager? If he wins it's due to his astute managerial acumen and hyper- intelligence but if he loses that would be due to his managerial inexperience? I see now..

He's here till the summer and the early league results are encouraging albeit against some or the weakest teams on current form. I also like his positive approach in general and even though wish he wasn't with us - would still like to see how it all pans out and feel he should be left alone till May and re-evaluated then.

But true as nuts - not sure why we have to constantly polarise his numbers and general approach against AVB's. Did you statistically we created more chances per game this season under the Portuguese?
I don't think he's said that at all chief.

he was our manager for just under half of this season so it's natural that the new guys results will be compared to his.
Personally I think taking games and results in isolation is a recipe for subjectivism. Let's wait till the season is over and then go back and compare on more than 5 games. For example - we had our best PL start this season in 21 years - and guess what happened later on. Even more so - if Timmy was given a full season next year. Imagine we finished 4th with less points than last year. Or 5th with more. These are valid questions, imv.

I don't think he's said that at all chief.
I felt the general premise indicated a relief at having gone back to a 4-4-2 and abandoning a hyper- tactical approach.

I also don't think we'll ever finish above he scum unless we build a new stadium, win the lotto or Whinger leaves, especially now they have paid theirs off and are getting massive sponsorship deals again. That is the sad reality, wish to be proven wrong more than anything though.

Last edited:
I felt the general premise indicated a relief at having gone back to a 4-4-2 and abandoning a hyper- tactical approach.

I also don't think we ll ever finish above he scum unless we build a new stadium, win the lotto or Whinger leaves, especially now they have paid theirs off and are getting massive sponsorship deals. That is the sad reality, wish To be proven wrong more than anything though.
There is a relief, AVB's tactics were a bit rigid. That's not a completely unfair assessment, perhaps we needed that rigidity to get us over the hump? Who knows? Ultimately, when AVB tried to abandon it, we got ruined to the tune of 5 and 6 nil. So, TS' comment sense approach, being in stark contrast to AVB's approach will bring about blog posts like that.

An honest question...

...are all the 'pro-Arry people the same ones who are secretly hoping for Venables to come back...?
...and are all the AVB people secretly wishing Hoddle wasn't such a disaster first time around??

It just strikes me that Harry v AVB is not dissimilar to creating the same polar opposites within the fanbase that Venables v Hoddle would've done, had they gone head-to-head in the past!

Just an observation!!

Not sure about Hoddle but 95% of the pro-Arry crowd were anti-AVB and have now predictably become pro-Tim

That's a Rafa fact

rafa-benitez-wink.jpg

There is a relief, AVB's tactics were a bit rigid. That's not a completely unfair assessment, perhaps we needed that rigidity to get us over the hump? Who knows? Ultimately, when AVB tried to abandon it, we got ruined to the tune of 5 and 6 nil. So, TS' comment sense approach, being in stark contrast to AVB's approach will bring about blog posts like that.
AVB's rigid tactics also landed us 72 points last season and who knows - might have taken us even further this time around although as already mentioned, some of the results were quite worrying. Admittedly, if those were spread over the course of 38 games perhaps the sensationalism would have been subdued.

Having said that, I also think we would be over-simplifying the situation by polarising AVB as an extreme strategist and Timmy as some happy-go-lucky buffoon.

AVB's rigid tactics also landed us 72 points last season and who knows - might have taken us even further this time around although as already mentioned, some of the results were quite worrying. Admittedly, if those were spread over the course of 38 games perhaps the sensationalism would have been subdued.

Having said that, I also think we would be over-simplifying the situation by polarising AVB as an extreme strategist and Timmy as some happy-go-lucky buffoon.
You are choosing to interpret the article as being like that though. They have a different approach, when analysing their approaches, some may interpret as polarising but I don't think that article was heavily slating AVB.

But then we'd have nothing to argue about on the internet!
I love spurs more than you, there is no way on this earth you are more pro spurs than me.

I have never used a cannon printer, never inserted anything in a JVC, played a Dream Cast and i refuse to get on an emirates plane. I would rather walk.

I am spurs. You're not.

Lets argue

You are choosing to interpret the article as being like that though. They have a different approach, when analysing their approaches, some may interpret as polarising but I don't think that article was heavily slating AVB.
Well, that's how I came to read it - happy to debate your view as well - but the title alone of 'Simple Football' is quite telling. I have no particular issue his interpretation, simply feel the polarisation is reching new heights and ultimately resulting in false expectations

Back
Top Bottom