Sir Bobby Charlton

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

True story.

My Mum moved down to London from Manchester when she was 18 to train to be a nurse. Her family all went to Old Trafford every game, when working class men could afford such things - the Busby Babes, Duncan Edwards (greatest footballer ever to live according to grandad), Law, Charlton & Best etc, were gods to them. I took my grandad to WHL and QPR to watch ManU when he came down to London to see us and he always told me he knew Bobby Charlton.

Anyways, when I was c17 I was caddying in a golf pro-am and I got my Mum a free ticket cos she wanted to see Clint Eastwood or Ronnie Corbett, one of the two. I was on the putting green with my employer (a rich fat American amateur), and she was watching me for no reason, when Bobby Charlton walked by. My Mum shouted 'Bobby, Bobby' at him and, much to my embarrassment, he came over to see who it was.

My Mum told him who she was and the family connection and, here's the thing, he pretended to remember exactly who she was, asked after my Granddad and her brothers, and spent a good 10 mins chatting about Manchester and what he was doing. Completely unnecessary, and I dare say he'd rather have been getting himself ready to play, but he gave up his time to a woman whom he recognised admired him.

100% top class gentleman.

I'd like to believe modern day footballers would do the same but I doubt it - perhaps Harry would?...

My Mum was diagnosed with it last year and the way she has deteriorated since then is tragic.
All the best to Bobby and his family, always comes across as a really nice old guy.

Sad..... :(

Cunt of a condition.... So soon after Big Jack passed on too.... Bless him and his family.

Thank you Mrs P.
It is very tough going, especially just now as she is in a care home and visiting has been obviously very restricted since Covid which hasn’t helped at all.

Best wishes to you & your mum.

My old man got dementia and it really is a tragic sight.

Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

He's quite probably the greatest English player of all time. Classy guy as well, always respected him a lot and hopefully his illness doesn't cause him undue suffering.

A genuine legend of world football.

Last edited:
Alzheimer's is truly shit. To watch people you loved and admired deteriorate is awful.

Onto Bobby Charlton. I recently watched a full rerun of the 1966 world cup final, not just the highlights. He completely ran that game.

Best wishes to you & your mum.

My old man got dementia and it really is a tragic sight.

Wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Thank you, nice of you to say that.
I actually saw her today, 15 minutes through glass doors once a week at her care home is all that’s available just now, one nominated visitor only.
She still recognises me thankfully but the way she has gone downhill in the last 18 months after the diagnosis and since March particularly is really tough to see.
The fact that this will be happening to families everywhere just now is not a nice thought at all.
Sorry to ramble on a bit but as others have said, sympathies with everyone dealing with this.

So sorry to hear, hard for a family to see someone they love diminish in such a way. Take care of each other x
Thank you Mrs P.
It is very tough going, especially just now as she is in a care home and visiting has been obviously very restricted since Covid which hasn’t helped at all.

My Mum was diagnosed with it last year and the way she has deteriorated since then is tragic.
All the best to Bobby and his family, always comes across as a really nice old guy.
Really sorry to hear that, mate. I wish you all the very best

Last edited:
Following the sad news about Nobby Stiles another World Cup hero makes the wrong sort of headlines.
BBC News - Sir Bobby Charlton: England World Cup winner diagnosed with dementia
My old Fella (83) was diagnosed with Dementia back in June of this year. I had noticed a deteriation in his demeaner and he was getting aggy with people because he noticed that he was making strange choices and generally having no energy. Since his diagnosis he has been put on medication (can't remember what it's called) but it has turned his life around, even in such a short space of time. I would say it has taken 10 years off him in the sense that he has got his mojo back and is able to remember most day to day stuff. He has his moments but he is so much better.
I know it's only a plaster, but I'm glad that it's working for him, it doesn't always work for everyone apparently, maybe we caught it early, I don't know.
Keeping busy, getting out, Reading are all things that help keep dementia at bay.
One of the big factors is catching it early.

True story.

My Mum moved down to London from Manchester when she was 18 to train to be a nurse. Her family all went to Old Trafford every game, when working class men could afford such things - the Busby Babes, Duncan Edwards (greatest footballer ever to live according to grandad), Law, Charlton & Best etc, were gods to them. I took my grandad to WHL and QPR to watch ManU when he came down to London to see us and he always told me he knew Bobby Charlton.

Anyways, when I was c17 I was caddying in a golf pro-am and I got my Mum a free ticket cos she wanted to see Clint Eastwood or Ronnie Corbett, one of the two. I was on the putting green with my employer (a rich fat American amateur), and she was watching me for no reason, when Bobby Charlton walked by. My Mum shouted 'Bobby, Bobby' at him and, much to my embarrassment, he came over to see who it was.

My Mum told him who she was and the family connection and, here's the thing, he pretended to remember exactly who she was, asked after my Granddad and her brothers, and spent a good 10 mins chatting about Manchester and what he was doing. Completely unnecessary, and I dare say he'd rather have been getting himself ready to play, but he gave up his time to a woman whom he recognised admired him.

100% top class gentleman.

I'd like to believe modern day footballers would do the same but I doubt it - perhaps Harry would?...
Great post

Back
Top Bottom