SKY/BT, etc to lose the PL rights?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

SpiderSpurs

Supporter
Looked for a thread, didn't see one.

From the BBC...

Premier League executives are discussing plans to broadcast live matches via its own platform rather than through broadcast partners such as Sky Sports and BT Sport. (Sunday Mirror)

EXCLUSIVE: Premier League ready to DITCH Sky Sports and BT Sport in radical new broadcasting plans
Premier League bosses are discussing the notion of cutting out the middle man when it comes to showing live games with plans to broadcast matches via their own platform

Surely they would need to charge a ridiculous sum to make it worthwhile...?

The PL’s motive here isn’t to actually stream games, it’s to put the woolies up Sky and BT so they bid higher in the next round of sealed bids. We, the consumer, will still have to fork out for millions of TV channels we don’t watch and other sports we don’t care for, yet, like most things in life, the cost will go up.

Haven't paid for Sky or BT in years, won't be doing it in the future either. Daylight robbery how you can watch every single Premier League game in a season for peanuts elsewhere in the world but you have to practically remortgage your house to be able to watch them in the country where they're played.

Plenty of streaming sites out there. Free. More people should do it. The fact that people can be paid £250k a week to kick a fucking ball about should be enough to tell you that there's too much money in football. That needs to change.

I'd be in favour of the individual clubs streaming all their own games, in every competition, home and away.

A subscription of about £250 per year, to watch around 50 Spurs matches, would be a no brainer for me.

Youtube highlights of other teams games is all I want.

I'd also feel like I was supporting my own club with my subscription and would have the power to cut off that support when cunts like Levy sack a manager and decide to write off 25%, 50% or 75% of a season by doing so.

Sky and BT, like ENIC and Levy, have had a good run but are now yesterday's men and surplus to requirements.

In the current economic climate people will be switching off altogether and finding something else to do instead.

Then the top clubs will get richer and stronger, and the smaller clubs poorer. A bit like in Spain.
I'm more comfortable with my subscriptions going exclusively to Spurs and Spurs having control over that revenue rather than the chairman of clubs I don't support after the likes of Sky and BT have taken their cut.

There will still be 20 teams in the league and Spurs will indeed get a bigger slice of the pie.

I have never bought into the 'Neville narrative' after the European Super League was pitched.

Football has never been fair and subsidising smaller clubs, so they can compensate football agents for players, is not something that will keep me awake at night.

Spurs are one of the big clubs in England. If Bournemouth can't cut it under new rules they will find their level and clubs like Sunderland and Sheffield United will eventually find theirs.

Just a negotiating ploy by the EPL.
Sky would go skint if it wasn't for the EPL but the EPL haven't got a clue about how to run a media company.

I have a slightly different perspective to the prevailing view in this thread. I'm a Sky/BT/Amazon subscriber and I've just enjoyed a weekend of fantastic football. I listened to the Tottenham match on the Talksport 2 commentary and caught the video highlights the following morning. Following Tottenham matches is a much more emotionally intensive process than watching matches as a neutral.

I don't like the sound of illegal streams. From what I've heard, they're unreliable and of poor quality. I'd much rather have a radio stream from a legitimate source than go messing around on the internet.

I'm actually a product of the Sky Sports generation. My first match had nothing to do with half-time Bovrils and Saturday, 3pm kick offs; it was the Monday Night Football on 25th September 1995; we were at Loftus Road and we came back from 2-0 down to beat QPR 3-2:

My definitive experience of the Saturday afternoon match was listening for updates on Radio 5 Live and watching the goals on MOTD. Occasionally, I'd get lucky and the Tottenham match would be the main commentary or one of the extended highlights on MOTD.

These days I'm able to follow Tottenham to a much greater depth than I was as a kid and I'm grateful for that.

One idea could be that the Prem provides a pass that covers subscriptions to Sky/BT (or whatever they'll be next year)/Amazon.

Make it cheaper than separate subscriptions so people can just watch the footy.

I have all separately and don't watch most of the rest on offer. Although I am enjoying the Masters currently.

Looked for a thread, didn't see one.

From the BBC...

Premier League executives are discussing plans to broadcast live matches via its own platform rather than through broadcast partners such as Sky Sports and BT Sport. (Sunday Mirror)

EXCLUSIVE: Premier League ready to DITCH Sky Sports and BT Sport in radical new broadcasting plans
Premier League bosses are discussing the notion of cutting out the middle man when it comes to showing live games with plans to broadcast matches via their own platform
Not saying it isn't true but these rumours happen every time they come to renegotiation the contracts. That or amazon or apple will get involved.

Very much believe it when I see it

Back
Top Bottom