Southampton (H)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm no fan of Ade, but he needs to start. Defoe needs to come off the bench. Really nothing to debate until a proper front man is brought to the club

I'm no fan of Ade, but he needs to start. Defoe needs to come off the bench. Really nothing to debate until a proper front man is brought to the club

No. Keep Ade away. Well normally. But I think he could shine against the chavs. So start the cunt.

If he scores a brace we will get some money back from fernabache or a Chinese club.

So yes, play him.

This once. Then let us never speak his name again.

Lloris - 8, kept us in the game with some good goal keeping

Walker - 6
Dawson - 6
Vertonghen - 7
Assou-Ekotto - 4

Lennon - 4
Huddlestone - 6
Dembele - 5
Dempsey - 4

Bale - 7, even in a quiet game, made something out of nothing. Exceptional player.
Defoe - 4

Subs:
Holtby - 6, should be starting
Adebayor - 4, but should probably start over Defoe who should come off the bench
Sigurdsson - 5

Our two first year signings Hugo and Super Jan have done really well both in our top three best with the Bale.

Lloris - 8

Walker - 6.5
Dawson - 6
Vertonghen - 6.5
Assou-Ekotto - 4

Lennon - 5
Huddlestone - 6
Dembele - 5
Dempsey - 4.5

Bale - 7
Defoe - 5

Subs:
Holtby - 6.5
Adebayor - 6
Sigurdsson - 6

No. Keep Ade away. Well normally. But I think he could shine against the chavs. So start the cunt.

If he scores a brace we will get some money back from fernabache or a Chinese club.

So yes, play him.

This once. Then let us never speak his name again.

May I ask how you watched the game yesterday? Where you at the ground or was it on tv?

It's so hard to give ratings for yesterday, we looked incredibly poor all over the pitch. But then you need to give credit to how well Southampton neutralised our play. They had an absolute thrashing last week against Albion, so they were never going to come and be open. Anyway I will throw some numbers at some names for the sake of it.

Lloris - 8 Made some cracking saves.

Walker - 6
Dawson - 6
Vertonghen - 7
B.A.E - 4 Looks well off the pace.

Dembele 5 - Clearly wasn't fit, so why the fuck did he play?
Huddlestone - 8 great passing again, and even made a couple of tackles.

Lennon - 5 - Anonymous
Dempsey - 5 - Ditto
Bale - 7 would have been 5 too were it not for the wonder goal.

Defoe - 6 Made a couple of good runs.

Holtby - 6
Adebayor - 6
Siggurdson - 6

May I ask how you watched the game yesterday? Where you at the ground or was it on tv?

It were on telly like. Had to do some wedding stuff or I would have gone.

It were in a pub with a Irish satellite not a computer feed.

Please educate me how your man was good. I am genuinely interested to hear your view.

If you gave him a 3, what did you give Dempsey, Defoe and Lennon today, I wonder? 2? 1???
Lennon was clearly not fit, stupid to play him and now it looks like he's out for Chelsea as well. Dempsey and Defoe were awful as well I just couldn't be bothered to rate anyone else.

Ade was useless. I think he touched the ball three times. On one occasion he looked like he was trying to get away from the ball! Lol. Not laugh in a funny way though.

Defoe didn't have a blinder either. No one did really. Dawson was his usual solid self. BAE just pumped the ball into space..as per.

Walker worked hard. Lennon had a bit of a mare but its his first game back.

For me boas should have put siggy on for Lennon. And earlier.

Even bale was quiet till the goal. Not a good day at the office but we won.

Good teams win ugly and when they're off form. Lets hope it's the start of a run.

He gave us what we were desperately looking for the whole game; someone up top that we can give the ball to and he held it up and brought other players in. He actually gave us a bit of urgency because of his work rate and that kick started the rest of the team IMO. There was that one bit that I think you're talking about from the big boot up from Hugo, it looked like he was caught in two minds, he didn't know whether he should chest it or take it down on the thigh. In the end it hit his chest but in his defence it did look like it was moving a bit. I agree with you on the rest though.

It were on telly like. Had to do some wedding stuff or I would have gone.

It were in a pub with a Irish satellite not a computer feed.

Please educate me how your man was good. I am genuinely interested to hear your view.

Others have already partly answered for me and im going purely from memory of being there but here goes...

1. Chased every lost cause and closed down their keeper, preventing him from timewasting and forcing him into several duff kicks that gave us possession.

2. Made runs out wide to give full backs and midfielders an option and drag defenders out with him, opening up a very compact team. We had several Half chances while he was on. Before that we could barely get the ball near their area

3. Lovely little flick on to Dempsey in the box who miscontrolled his first touch and fired over

4. Won several headers in the final third, allowing us to keep the ball in their half

5. Several other nice touches and lay offs (seem to remember a nutmeg through ball on the right wing?)

Now I know this doesn't make him a world beater. The above could describe a half decent game by any striker in the league. But you are saying he was shit, which in my opinion simply isn't true and is more a reflection on your unwillingness to see anything positive in his performances for spurs.
Sadly there are many others like you poisoning the lane. It's such a lazy and obvious thing to target the ex-Woolwich striker as a scapegoat.

I'll happily call him out for being crap, but equally I give credit where due. Case in point. In my opinion Dempsey was utter dogshit yesterday. Didn't get in the game at all and I don't think he made one telling contribution. I feel siggy was far more effective.

However if he is picked on Wednesday I'll back him 100% and, should he play at all well, he will get credit for it from me. Even though I personally don't want him anywhere near the starting 11.

TLDR etc.

Lloris - 9

Walker - 9
Dawson - 8
Vertonghen - 9
Assou-Ekotto - 9

Lennon - 7
Huddlestone - 8
Dembele - 6
Dempsey - 7

Bale - 9
Defoe - 8

Subs:
Holtby - 8
Adebayor - 8
Sigurdsson - 8

I still remember Ade's almost goal near the end of the match last season against the chavs where Terry saved it with his back :defoe:

Defoe would have buried that last year vs Chelsea at the end of the game. Exactly why he is the perfect sub

Of course, what we needed yesterday was a striker capable of holding the ball up to let the MF push up. Defoe is extremely poor at that.

AVB has really gotten his selections wrong in the past month for me

Lloris - 6

Walker - 8 (My MOTM - only player creating anything for most of the game)
Dawson - 5
Verts - 5
BAE - 4 (Looked panicky on the ball, not his finest game in a Spurs shirt to say the least)

Huddlestone - 6
Danger-Mouss - 7
Lennon - 4
Bale - 8 (Aside from that World Class finish, was pretty quiet)

Deuce - 6
JD - 4 (Although I thought he did have a lively first 10-15mins, was winning the ball off of their midfielders along with some good passing, don't know what happened to him after that)

Subs:

Holtby-6 (Aside from opening up space for Bale's goal was largely anonymous)
Adebayor-7 (Has to start again vs Chelsea for me)
Siggy-6

Back
Top Bottom