Sporting (H) - UCL - 26/10, 8pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fuck it. Still top of the group. Forget about the naff stuff and keep dancing...

wihD1Of.gif

Poor first half.

Much improved second 45.

We can't string 90 mins of footy together.

On the disallowed goal, the only point I would make is that no decision should take 4 plus minutes to make.

The amount of time taken was farcical, be it the correct decision or not.

It's beyond frustrating that nobody really knows if he was actually offside or not. They can draw all the lines they want, but when it's that close, given the technology constraints, nobody really knows either way. He might be, he might not be.

It's not the first time this point has been made but when it's this close, they need to account for some margin of error and just accept the original decision, just like every other use of VAR.

That's if you even want VAR in the sport anymore, which I don't. It's really not worth it.

First and foremost, football is a TV Show; heavily backed by billionaires, betting companies and TV networks.

Champions League Groups A, B, C, F, G, H already have the top 2 teams qualified. Doesn't make for very good prospects for TV viewers and more importantly, betting stakes.

Makes a nice bit of drama for the next set of fixtures; and hopefully us plebs will throw some more money in the billionaires direction.

Finally arrived home after a 4 hour drive.

Cannot remember celebrating a a goal like that only to be fucking popped like a balloon straight after.

We were at the other end and have seen no highlights. Only listened to comments and analysis on the radio.

Please, someone tell me there was some justification in that decision? Just to ease the pain a little?

Last edited:
I guess one crumb of comfort is we haven't been knocked out by that decision. It's still in our hands after all.
And with 80 minutes or so on the clock I'd have snapped your hand off for the draw.

I don’t think drawing changed anything for us. Either way we’re still guaranteed eliminated if we lose to Marseille, and guaranteed advancing with a draw/win. Drawing tonight did nothing, except I suppose if both games draw next week we win the group (unlikely).

I thought Gill looked impressive when he came on.

I'm sure that's the first time I've seen him play live. Looks like a matchstick man from a distance but I reckon he could be useful if played in the right way.

Could see him winning lots of free kicks in dangerous positions if he can use his attributes wisely

We have 3 active referees on or alongside the pitch who between them have decided that the goal is a fair one. VAR checks the goal for 4 minutes (!!!) as it ponders over a hairline decision, rather than a clear and obvious error (what are the criteria here??).

I'm all for technology in sport and set rules to be adhered to, but it seems like they've got this process inverted, and with no allowance for a human margin of error/benefit of the doubt. Pontificating over millimetres creates a vacuum that sucks in so much of what makes sport in general such an evocative and emotional experience (and I'm not blind to how we've benefited from VAR, either!).

I don’t think drawing changed anything for us. Either way we’re still guaranteed eliminated if we lose to Marseille, and guaranteed advancing with a draw/win. Drawing tonight did nothing, except I suppose if both games draw next week we win the group (unlikely).
I think it means we don't have to win in Marseilles. A draw will be enough.

Had we lost we would have needed to go there and win

Not read the thread.

I can imagine many people will be saying we were robbed with the VAR decision.

But seriously we don't look like a team worthy of competing in the CL. The easiest group and we are making it hard work.

I sat for 75 mins of that game pretty despondent, thinking to myself it is no fun watching us play. Where's the enjoyment of going to Spurs games?

The same dull pattern of play each game. No flair, creativity, imagination. Kept saying to my dad sitting next to me, we look like a bunch of robots programmed to do one thing. The players are scared to do anything different because they'll get a rocket from Conte, but something different is exactly what we need in these types of games where we need to break a team down. Gil provided that when he came on.
Only other player worth mentioning was Bentancur.

It rides on the marseille game now, but when the pressure is on the team always find a way to feck it up. I've not got a good feeling about it, is it too much to ask that we actually turn up for once in a pressure situation away from home?

The only upside is Marseille is now probably the most important game we’ve had in years (other than NLD last season), and if we can get a result in a do or die scenario it might really boost our confidence in big games.

Back
Top Bottom