Sporting (H) - UCL - 26/10, 8pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whatever the technical limitations of our players, we saw in the second half that it’s the intensity of our performance that is the most important thing.

In the first 45 we moved the ball like slugs, Sporting never had to sweat (neither did we). Second 45 we made them suffer, they were hanging on for dear life.

We should be playing like that from the first minute, only the players can explain why we don’t. These slow starts have been an issue for the last 3-4 years, the players have to get over this mentality of starting games with the handbrake on.
Aggression and intensity is what we have been lacking these last few weeks.

I know that a lot of people want us to play possession based Poch style football. but I personally have no problem with us playing with a more defensive and counter based style as long as we do it with aggression and intensity. A aggressive defensive team can be really fun to watch.

I dunno if it is intentional or if it is players taking it safe to avoid injuries pre world cup or not. But we need a more consistent level of intensity in our playing in all stages of the outfield.

People still don't grasp the reason we play so defensively under Conte and Mourinho, it's not just a case of those two highly decorated managers being uber negative, they take a look at the players and realise we are defensively weak and try and shore it up by playing more defensively. The logic being we have WC players up front who can win games with a bit of magic, all we need is for the fuckwits at the back to not concede and we have half a chance. It's totally logical and sound.

This is all on Levy, we are still starting Dier and Davies. They weren't good enough 5 years ago, why would anyone think they are good enough now? (Apart from Southgate but he is a prat)

We needed Skriniar or Bastoni instead we ended up with Lenglet who isn't even good enough to regularly replace Davies....
Same in our wing back positions. We went for the cheaper option in Perisic who is too old but was cheap. We bought Royal instead of Tomiyasu.

Royal is the worst player I've seen in at right back for Spurs since Dean Austin.

It's ENIC holding this club back, people point to the stadium but that's all about NFL and making them millions.

They have no ambition for the football team to win trophies, they just want to consistently make the top 4 and stay on the CL gravy train for the £££

I see people calling for Conte to leave and criticizing his style of play but those are dumb people who still don't get it.

Update...
I've just done a screen grab of 'the moment' chosen by VAR. It was from a HQ feed from Footyfull and it's a joke.

More like a 'spot the ball' competition. WHERE IS THE BALL?????? How the hell can you judge offside when it looks like Emerson's heading the white line FFS?

toDRhPs.png

Rubbish, isn't it? The freeze-frame is so bad that it looks like part of Emerson is disappearing into the pitch (wish he would, sometimes).
I still don’t get this graphic. Surely they are measuring the last part of Royal’s torso against the furthest forward (foot) of Harry!

Are these players trying to get the manager the sack or to resign ? Because it certainly looks that way .

Looks like we are heading to the europa which if we are honest, is our level. Had a feeling we would struggle in this
First Team Players that were here and playing in November 2019 (when Poch was sacked):

Lloris, Skipp, Sanchez, Son, Kane, Dier, Sessegnon, Moura, Davies with Winks, Lo Celso and Ndombele on loan. Because they are shit. Almost 50% of the current first team squad and of this pool, roughly 2/3 are in the first 11 frequently.

Now not all are to blame (the three on load are there more for a point), and some obviously are more capable or culpable than others, but this pool of players are still here. Still here. And have seen off Poch, Jose, Nuno and we are seeing a similar pattern again with Conte.

You can blame stubborn tactics, you can blame an ineptitude from the board to move players on and source quality replacements (despite spend) but the constant is this group of players.

They talk about mentality and show very little.

Fuming on the way home this evening. Pure shit.

The Notts County team I watched who played Wealdstone last night beats us.

It's as if none of the players have met before. There is a serious issue somewhere.

Went to my first game when I was 6, I'm 51 on Weds. This fucker of a club will be the death of me.

Yet... I'll still gladly hand over £2.5k in the summer for another season of heartache and pain.

Fuck football.
I'm still fuming.

I don't normally get annoyed by Spurs much anymore, but the last few games have been abysmal.

First Team Players that were here and playing in November 2019 (when Poch was sacked):

Lloris, Skipp, Sanchez, Son, Kane, Dier, Sessegnon, Moura, Davies with Winks, Lo Celso and Ndombele on loan. Because they are shit. Almost 50% of the current first team squad and of this pool, roughly 2/3 are in the first 11 frequently.

Now not all are to blame (the three on load are there more for a point), and some obviously are more capable or culpable than others, but this pool of players are still here. Still here. And have seen off Poch, Jose, Nuno and we are seeing a similar pattern again with Conte.

You can blame stubborn tactics, you can blame an ineptitude from the board to move players on and source quality replacements (despite spend) but the constant is this group of players.

They talk about mentality and show very little.
And some of them will get more flack than others.

Yes, Kane has scored a decent amount of goals. But I still think that him and Son dipping in their overall quality on the ball, and being traffic cones off of it are just as big reasons for our current dip as the shakey defence.

How are you expected to play on the front foot defence when the strikers don't participate?

that depends
on
  1. A standard Conte team - defending in numbers, hoping to hit a team who will know exactly what to expect, on the break. Leading to Frustration, desperation, defeat
  2. The tactics that finished the last 30 minutes of the game last night, from the kick off. Win or a defeat we can be proud of (if they fight to the disallowed goal in the 96th.
the first scenario would be realistic if we were obliged to win. but we can also draw to qualify

I still don’t get this graphic. Surely they are measuring the last part of Royal’s torso against the furthest forward (foot) of Harry!

They’re measuring from the ball, not Emerson.

The problem is that they’re measuring to millimetres of “accuracy”, yet the ball in that picture is a barely-visible blur.

I just dunno...... You'd assume the long-termers were in fact the good apples..... Kane, Son, Hugo, Davies......
Also, I thought we got rid of the alleged bad apples? Rose (clearly disruptive) a couple of years ago years ago, more recently N'Dombele, Lo Celso, Aurier, Winks, Eriksen for some (all for very different reasons, and many very much arguable). So as you say, who would these current 'bad apples' be? You can't imagine any of those 4 you've mentioned (or Dier) being anything less than 100% committed to winning, and being 100% supportive of the manager surely? Yes they have poor games sometimes, and I know Kane wanted to leave 18 months ago to try and actually win something, but none of that would make them disruptive or undermining for the manager surely?

It's weird - it does feel at times, like 1st half last night, as if Conte has lost the dressing room, no one seemed to care, yet if you look at the individuals, you can't believe that can possibly be the case for any of them. :/

Update...
I've just done a screen grab of 'the moment' chosen by VAR. It was from a HQ feed from Footyfull and it's a joke.

More like a 'spot the ball' competition. WHERE IS THE BALL?????? How the hell can you judge offside when it looks like Emerson's heading the white line FFS?

toDRhPs.png

Rubbish, isn't it? The freeze-frame is so bad that it looks like part of Emerson is disappearing into the pitch (wish he would, sometimes).
The thing that bothers me as well is the arbitrary part of the pitch that they finish the blue dotted line and connect the parallel line from. Who is to say that is the correct spot where the vertical meets the horizontal? They could just as easily say that the blue dotted line meets the ground where the red line is situated... without further proof of angles/depth etc it is virtually useless for something like this where the player is mid-air.

Also, I thought we got rid of the alleged bad apples? Rose (clearly disruptive) a couple of years ago years ago, more recently N'Dombele, Lo Celso, Aurier, Winks, Eriksen for some (all for very different reasons, and many very much arguable). So as you say, who would these current 'bad apples' be? You can't imagine any of those 4 you've mentioned (or Dier) being anything less than 100% committed to winning, and being 100% supportive of the manager surely? Yes they have poor games sometimes, and I know Kane wanted to leave 18 months ago to try and actually win something, but none of that would make them disruptive or undermining for the manager surely?

It's weird - it does feel at times, like 1st half last night, as if Conte has lost the dressing room, no one seemed to care, yet if you look at the individuals, you can't believe that can possibly be the case for any of them. :/

Its a situ that pre-dates Conte anyway.....

Even before Poch's final slide into bad form; we were often a team of two differing halves.

Often feels just like being an England fan.... You explore all the possibilities, yet still certain frailties persist.

Ruled out goal aside I was actually quite pleased once we got going in the second half. We showed we can push teams back and play in their half and dominate. We should be starting games like that then slip into a more containing counter attack side once we've got the goals.

So players reserve the right to pretend to be an innocuous wall just as long as they don't stick a leg out?

If true that's just selective ignorance in the name of being able to assert a convenient protocol..... Much like they've been changing rules to accommodate VAR.
Defenders are allowed to defend against Emerson. If that results in a deflection , deflections are not deliberate as the defender never had control of the ball. Of course it didnt go our way, so people are upset.

It doesn’t matter whether he deliberately played the ball in the direction it went.

Only whether he deliberately played the ball.
If someone shoots and you try to block the ball and the ball goes in goal, did you deliberately score the own goal? Of course not. If you never had the ball in your control, how can it be deliberate. Maybe im reading the rules wrong, it is quite ambiguous though.

You watched all 38 games presumably
Maybe a cursory, interested glance now and then, but I kept an eye on them, yes!

Yes, I see your point. But they didn't exactly blow the league away like City or Liverpool when they won it...
The fact WE were even in contention should tell you they didn't dominate the league... It's just that everyone else was marginally worse than them that season....

Defenders are allowed to defend against Emerson. If that results in a deflection , deflections are not deliberate as the defender never had control of the ball. Of course it didnt go our way, so people are upset.
If someone shoots and you try to block the ball and the ball goes in goal, did you deliberately score the own goal? Of course not. If you never had the ball in your control, how can it be deliberate.

The key word there is "TRY"... You're deliberately making an attempt to influence the passage of play.... Irrespective of whether or not the outcome is as intended.

- If I try to make a tackle and instead clean the man out.... It's still a foul, right?
- If I try to make a block and I accidentally change the flight of the goal and it goes in the net..... It still gets credited as an OG.
- If i position myself as the player did last night I"m still interfering with play..... He's obstructing a 'passing lane'.

The semantics of the rulebook may argue against this logic, but the principle objection is completely just.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom