Spurs a mess? (ESPN article)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Boring tosh I'm afraid. Doesn't say anything interesting or insightful. It's a personal melt and wouldn't be out of place on this board, except that he got paid for that?! Fuck me, I chose the wrong career...

The article does reflect the woeful situation we have at the moment, we must accept that. . Some points raised are justified although made in a simplistic way. If we beat teams ugly, as suggested, then so be it , I for one do not have a problem with this. Every Spurs supporter knows things are not right, just some stay much more positive than other.

The article does reflect the woeful situation we have at the moment, we must accept that. . Some points raised are justified although made in a simplistic way. If we beat teams ugly, as suggested, then so be it , I for one do not have a problem with this. Every Spurs supporter knows things are not right, just some stay much more positive than other.
That's all absolutely right... but from a journalist I'd expect something more than what I could hear from speaking to any old Spurs fan. All it does is state a few blindingly obvious facts and then it's an embarrassing winge. If it was just a fan posting an imperfectly eloquent opinion, I wouldn't mind.

Liverpool have 2 points more than when they made their worst start in 100years after spending £130m having the same points as us but playing 1 more game. When was the last time Man U had 16 points from 11 games? They have been shite and spent £m's
Arsehole have had one of their worst starts this season.
So, a win tomorrow would take us level on points with Arse, who have also been shite - if anyone them play midweek. The Welbeck dive, a Chamberlin gift and a set piece before a flaky meltdown - they were lucy not to get done at home by us -when Chamberlin got a lucky gift - again.

Yet let's single out Spurs for having their worst start, under their 3rd manager since last season.

Plus points:
More goals scored than at the start of last season, with a shit Adebayor.
Not getting done at Arse and Spam
Lamela and Chadli
Mason and Kane.

Minuses:
More goals conceded than this time last year
The same shitty defence. ( if Kaboul and Vertonghen cannot read each other by now they never will)
Disinterested, misfiring Adebayor
Misfiring Soldado.

I wonder if he was saying the same thing during and after the first home game of the season

Let's hope MP soon has the luxury of a scoring Adebayor -as scorned Tim did - because if he does things could change.

Last edited:
Yeh the article is spot on and yes Ade is on that much per week we just got some shit players at the club that are lazy and don't wanna know
Ade isn't. City paid him that much. After he came here there was a subsidy which ended last year. He's on £90-100k/week, not what Crace claims.

Who cares! I'm a Tottenham man and always will be. Win or lose. Yes times are tough but when has been a Spurs man been about winning titles and championships? Not in my time since supporting this club. Shit I still day dream about the 1991 FA Cup win. If we win sweet, if we lose oh well there's always next week.

I personally think its a terrible article. It makes a few valid points but leave's out everything positive from this season. Its really everything that is wrong with fans at the moment. Negative, alarmist, misinformed. There's no chance Ade is on 170k a week. Mason has been very good, Stambouli has barely played and Beneleb has been hurt but apparently they're just "squad players". We're 3 points behind the scum, even with Pool, and can go ahead of United with a win. We've had a few poor losses but everyone has shown that this season. Hell, City just drew with QPR who we absolutely destroyed. If Poch is allowed to trim the squad and bring in a few players of his own in January and the summer than I believe he'll be successful. If not, he'll probably be unsuccessful just like AVB was and that's on Levy.
Yes it is on Levy. The problem is "if Poch is allowed". But we've been there before haven't we? We know that doesn't always happen.

It might not be Poch's fault, but it may be that we need someone in who can raise the game of these players. We are a mess I'm afraid. Our performances are dire. Our wins unconvincing. Our players seemingly disinterested. I firmly believe that the problem lies with the players, but I think a top manager could still get more out of them. If Levy fails to invest then I think that fairly or unfairly it would mean that Poch would be the one to go. Right now there are no signs of improvement, quite the opposite, and Poch can't sign a whole new squad in January, even if he's backed. He needs to show that he can get these players up for games in the PL. I think the results wouldn't matter if Levy and the fans could at least see the impact of Poch's ideas in terms of the team's attitude and fighting spirit. But I'm forced to feel like there is no sign that Poch is building something. Of course he needs time, but as he himself said today, in football time is limited. What's more he also said this...

"You need to get results and we need to find a solution quickly. My challenge in the next few weeks is to change the mentality and to find that solution."

"Change the mentality" is something that he should have been working on from day one. After four months of his leadership, surely it's a case of the players buying into his ethos or not?

Having said all that, at the end of the day we don't see what happens behind closed doors. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe we have a QPR situation and the players are just phoning it in while collecting their wages....which would likely undermine all but the very best world class managers.

Whatever the problem is, it's without doubt that we, as fans, don't have threads of hope at the moment. Far too many false dawns. We need some hint of positivity and I am doubting we have it right now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom