Spurs Financials 2019/20

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Last year the accounts weren't available on Companies House website until first few days of April......here's hoping it might be earlier to get the full financial set of accounts

Filing deadline would be March 31st although Spurs have already filed they could conceivably amend that filing between now and the 31st ... it's therefore standard practice for Companies House to firewall the accounts until the beginning of April, last year copies leaked out so maybe the same will happen now ...

Pretty much as expected big increase in turnover 380m >>>> 460m
Gross profit broadly the same, small rise 162m >> 173m
Net profit down 69m <<< 113m

Until the full accounts are released where the extra money went is not certain ... assets / wages / debt re-payments we will find out soon enough.

Those clubs with huge wage to revenue exposure would be the ones I'd expect to feel the heat first:
ESp0dQ2X0AAGVR5

Cross the above with shite EBITA numbers and these clubs are walking a tightrope.

ESp0VcgXsAEvq7t

Chuck in FFP and clubs potentially not getting TV money and it’s going to be a headache for a lot of clubs. I think we could see a fire sale at some places. Maybe this terrible virus will push down wages and transfer fees. Who knows but as lots of people who don’t slag off enic know, they’ve kept our wages down well which may save us. Although we haven’t seen the figures yet from the new accounts which will take into account the recent wage increases (Son, Kane)

Chuck in FFP and clubs potentially not getting TV money and it’s going to be a headache for a lot of clubs. I think we could see a fire sale at some places. Maybe this terrible virus will push down wages and transfer fees. Who knows but as lots of people who don’t slag off enic know, they’ve kept our wages down well which may save us. Although we haven’t seen the figures yet from the new accounts which will take into account the recent wage increases (Son, Kane)
Transfer fees are probably going to become a lot lower (in comparison to the last few years). I also think we will see more player swaps in the coming windows.

Freeze what though?

The clubs are just part of a long chain, for example:

Sky Subscribers and advertisers was to reduce payments > Sky want to reduce payments to clubs > clubs can't pay the players > the players can't pay their cleaner / gardener / etc

strike that last one. Anyone earning millions of pounds a year can afford to pay their cleaner whilst telling them to stay away.

Those clubs with huge wage to revenue exposure would be the ones I'd expect to feel the heat first:
ESp0dQ2X0AAGVR5

Cross the above with shite EBITA numbers and these clubs are walking a tightrope.

ESp0VcgXsAEvq7t

As per a cruel to be kind philosophy....

Would it be the worst thing in the world (in terms of the greater good of kicking the game up the arse) if an EPL club got fucked over by all this chaos?

(Same 4 or 5 names at top and bottom of those respective lists....)

Filing deadline would be March 31st although Spurs have already filed they could conceivably amend that filing between now and the 31st ... it's therefore standard practice for Companies House to firewall the accounts until the beginning of April, last year copies leaked out so maybe the same will happen now ...

Pretty much as expected big increase in turnover 380m >>>> 460m
Gross profit broadly the same, small rise 162m >> 173m
Net profit down 69m <<< 113m

Until the full accounts are released where the extra money went is not certain ... assets / wages / debt re-payments we will find out soon enough.

I think companies house take a day or two (or even three) between receiving the accounts and adding them to the companies house web site to be made public, so in previous years Spurs have sent companies house on 30th or 31st March (as you rightly say 31 March is latest date to file) which is why its been the first couple of days of April before the accounts are available. If the accounts had merely been embargoed until 31 March companies house would have made them visible to public the next day.

The surprise this year is the announcement by the club is almost 2 weeks ahead of last year. So its just a question of when the club sends its accounts to companies house (and indeed adds them to the club's own website) as to when they become available - so its clear the club haven't sent them yet to companies house or added them to the club website.

Whilst the Tottenham Hotspur Limited accounts will comply with accounting standards and law, there is not a report by the Finance Director or any detailed commentary on the accounts in them. So whilst gross profit and net profit numbers will be reported it will probably remain speculation as to the reasons why net profit is so far less than last year despite a small rise in 'gross profit'. And I'm not sure there will be much more detail than I have speculated in earlier posts in this thread earlier (other than firming up on the change in interest and tax numbers which are required to be disclosed).

Analysis by Football Insider has showed that Spurs’ pre-tax profit for the 2018-19 season was the fourth highest ever recorded by a Premier League club.

It is behind only Leicester City (£92m) in 2016-17, Liverpool (£125m) in 2017-18 after they sold Philippe Coutinho and Tottenham themselves, who hold the record with their jawdropping £139m profit in 2017-18.

Spurs are also in fifth place among Premier League clubs with the £80m profit they made in 2013-14.

Chairman Daniel Levy has warned that the club is “facing uncertain times” amid the coronavirus pandemic and must also service a net debt of £534m to repay banks for loans to build their magnificent new stadium.

Analysis by Football Insider has showed that Spurs’ pre-tax profit for the 2018-19 season was the fourth highest ever recorded by a Premier League club.

It is behind only Leicester City (£92m) in 2016-17, Liverpool (£125m) in 2017-18 after they sold Philippe Coutinho and Tottenham themselves, who hold the record with their jawdropping £139m profit in 2017-18.

Spurs are also in fifth place among Premier League clubs with the £80m profit they made in 2013-14.

Chairman Daniel Levy has warned that the club is “facing uncertain times” amid the coronavirus pandemic and must also service a net debt of £534m to repay banks for loans to build their magnificent new stadium.

Highest pre tax profits recorded in English football:

1: Tottenham £139m
2: Liverpool £125m
3 Leicester £92m
4: Tottenham £82.3m
5: Tottenham £80m

I know people say we have greedy owners but our accounts could see us be fine where others will face genuine uncertainty right now.

With our Net profit being down, the coronavirus hitting and us staring down the barrel of no champions league I can’t see how we will compete very well in the transfer market (when it re opens).

only way I can see us getting players in is if Levy completes a stadium sponsorship deal.

With our Net profit being down, the coronavirus hitting and us staring down the barrel of no champions league I can’t see how we will compete very well in the transfer market (when it re opens).

only way I can see us getting players in is if Levy completes a stadium sponsorship deal.

We posted the 4th highest pre-tax profit any English team ever has this week mate and we don’t spend our Champions League money like it’s a necessary and standard revenue stream. There will be less money coming in which ultimately will lead to less to spend, that’s inevitable but we are in extremely good shape compared to the majority of clubs, who may need to sell assets in order to survive instead of flourish now.

The boat we are in right now, most others are I wouldn’t sweat it.

Last edited:
Highest pre tax profits recorded in English football:

1: Tottenham £139m
2: Liverpool £125m
3 Leicester £92m
4: Tottenham £82.3m
5: Tottenham £80m

I know people say we have greedy owners but our accounts could see us be fine where others will face genuine uncertainty right now.

Astonishing that even when we replace our record pretax profits with a much reduced £68.6m we are likely to record the highest profit before tax. And Spurs will have had big costs to move (eg training staff, new staff hire) as well as costs to run two stadiums which other clubs have not.

And 8 of the other 14 clubs to have reported their results (including all the other big clubs ManU, Mancity, Liverpool, Chelsea and Woolwich) have reported losses, the biggest ones with over £100m losses being Everton and Chelsea.

Looks like Spurs are in a good financial position, which is fortunate as if we can't complete 2019/20 it could cost us £50m - £100m (with other clubs also similarly hit).

Astonishing that even when we replace our record pretax profits with a much reduced £68.6m we are likely to record the highest profit before tax. And Spurs will have had big costs to move (eg training staff, new staff hire) as well as costs to run two stadiums which other clubs have not.

And 8 of the other 14 clubs to have reported their results (including all the other big clubs ManU, Mancity, Liverpool, Chelsea and Woolwich) have reported losses, the biggest ones with over £100m losses being Everton and Chelsea.

Looks like Spurs are in a good financial position, which is fortunate as if we can't complete 2019/20 it could cost us £50m - £100m (with other clubs also similarly hit).

As you said that profit has deducted all loan repayments and interests for the most expensive domestic stadium ever built, yet we have still eclipsed the rest of the clubs by a mammoth margin.

I think the club are balancing huge debt and trying to keep the team within touching distance extremely well. This season has been a disappointment and a blip but when you see a visual like the bar chart you’ve posted very few can argue that the finances aren’t top notch at the club.

Last edited:
As you said that profit has deducted all loan repayments and interests for the most expensive domestic stadium ever built,meet Wembley have still eclipsed the rest of the clubs by a mammoth margin.

I think the club are balancing huge debt and trying to keep the team within touching distance extremely well. This season has been a disappointment and a blip but when you see a visual like the bar chart you’ve posted very few can argue that the finances aren’t top notch at the club.
I’m confused, I watched alisdair gold earlier talk about how we won’t be able to sign many players with a 68mill profit.

Thought he actually knew what he was talking about but I guess not lol.

I’m confused, I watched alisdair gold earlier talk about how we won’t be able to sign many players with a 68mill profit.

Thought he actually knew what he was talking about but I guess not lol.
On that basis then, none of the teams can sign anyone, as they haven't made any profit at all.

So maybe he's talking out of his arse

As per a cruel to be kind philosophy....

Would it be the worst thing in the world (in terms of the greater good of kicking the game up the arse) if an EPL club got fucked over by all this chaos?

(Same 4 or 5 names at top and bottom of those respective lists....)

Leicester seem to have gambled on getting CL.....

If Coronavirus hadn't happened, I'd have expected the current year (to be reported next March) would show circa £100m extra revenue over the year just reported - made up of :

Match day revenues :
Ticket money £25m (More corporate + higher prices)

Food and drink sales £25m (circa £1m per match

Stadium match day adverts £20m (not received at Wembley)
and sponsorship

Non Football events £20m (assume £2m x 10 events incl. food & drink

Exhibitions & conferences £20m (business ramping up incl food and drink)

TV income ? All clubs likely to get increase

UEFA CL income Nil (Increase in total CL ‘pot’ offset not getting to final)
Total Additional income £110m (if no coronavirus)

Additionally the Tottenham shop opened in October 2018, so a full years sales might add an extra £5m-10m, stadium tours and stadium sky walk may add a few million etc. So there would be upside possible even on the £110m extra revenues.

However not finishing 19/20 would hit revenues through lower tv revenues and sponsorships (which probably contain clauses stipulating the number of matches played). So I'd guess we might lose most of that circa £110m extra revenues.

Cost wise, we'd not have the double costs of paying for both Wembley rent and operating costs for our new stadium for about 9 months of the year. And not have the multimillion costs of moving/training new staff for the new stadium. So whilst we'd have increased player costs from the likes of Ndombele, Lo Celso and other new players, if anything costs might well be lower.

So we might find the current year results are not too far away from the results just announced.

And with our debt now converted into bonds repayable on average in 23 years time, we are not under pressure to repay them.

Whilst for most other clubs current year results .....lower revenues of £50m - £100m = bigger losses or reduced profitability.

Spurs should be in very good shape even now versus other clubs.

Only real problem is how long it is before the new season re-starts. If its not too far away from the usual August/September no problem, if its next spring.....other clubs will already be in much more severe financial condition.

As you said that profit has deducted all loan repayments and interests for the most expensive domestic stadium ever built, yet we have still eclipsed the rest of the clubs by a mammoth margin.

No one can argue that under the stewardship we have the financials will always be the most important

If Coronavirus hadn't happened, I'd have expected the current year (to be reported next March) would show circa £100m extra revenue over the year just reported - made up of :

Match day revenues :
Ticket money £25m (More corporate + higher prices)

Food and drink sales £25m (circa £1m per match

Stadium match day adverts £20m (not received at Wembley)
and sponsorship

Non Football events £20m (assume £2m x 10 events incl. food & drink

Exhibitions & conferences £20m (business ramping up incl food and drink)

TV income ? All clubs likely to get increase

UEFA CL income Nil (Increase in total CL ‘pot’ offset not getting to final)
Total Additional income £110m (if no coronavirus)

Additionally the Tottenham shop opened in October 2018, so a full years sales might add an extra £5m-10m, stadium tours and stadium sky walk may add a few million etc. So there would be upside possible even on the £110m extra revenues.

However not finishing 19/20 would hit revenues through lower tv revenues and sponsorships (which probably contain clauses stipulating the number of matches played). So I'd guess we might lose most of that circa £110m extra revenues.

Cost wise, we'd not have the double costs of paying for both Wembley rent and operating costs for our new stadium for about 9 months of the year. And not have the multimillion costs of moving/training new staff for the new stadium. So whilst we'd have increased player costs from the likes of Ndombele, Lo Celso and other new players, if anything costs might well be lower.

So we might find the current year results are not too far away from the results just announced.

And with our debt now converted into bonds repayable on average in 23 years time, we are not under pressure to repay them.

Whilst for most other clubs current year results .....lower revenues of £50m - £100m = bigger losses or reduced profitability.

Spurs should be in very good shape even now versus other clubs.

Only real problem is how long it is before the new season re-starts. If its not too far away from the usual August/September no problem, if its next spring.....other clubs will already be in much more severe financial condition.

The whole thing could work out quite well for us financially relative to the clubs around us.

Back
Top Bottom